Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 01-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Don't sell Sherk short on his striking game. He has pretty underrated boxing. Even with the reach difference he poses a decent threat.

Amen to that.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:04 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Don't sell Sherk short on his striking game. He has pretty underrated boxing. Even with the reach difference he poses a decent threat.
are we talking about the same sherk? no way, his strikes on the guard are good and decent in the clinch .. his stand-up is not non-existant, but it barely poses a real threat ...
Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Champ2be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Matt's been in there with both guys the most so I think he has the best idea of what to expect.
I don't think cardio is going ot play a part in this one. Penn is really working hard.

All three guys have been in the cage w/ Penn and GSP... So they all have a good idea of what to expect.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Champ2be

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
are we talking about the same sherk? no way, his strikes on the guard are good and decent in the clinch .. his stand-up is not non-existant, but it barely poses a real threat ...
Even Penn said that he was impressed w/ Sherks Boxing in their fight. So that says a lot right there
Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ2be
All three guys have been in the cage w/ Penn and GSP... So they all have a good idea of what to expect.
Which also says a lot about what they think of Penn ... GSP was able to stop all three of them fairly easily (obviously not when he lost to Serra and Hughes) ... but they all think that GSP won't be able to put Penn away ...
Old 01-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ2be
Matt's fought the best and worst BJ's you can imagine, and he's fought GSP throughout his evolution. I believe they all have a good idea, but Matt has the most experience in there with them.

Could be argued that Sherk (vs Penn) and Serra (vs GSP) have fought both of these guys the most recently, so I'd buy that. The Penn that showed up for Sherk is probably more accurate to what we'll see on the 31st. The GSP that fought Serra was the same guy that Hughes fought.

[
Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
TheConcretekid

Matt's and Sean's discriptions were pretty close to each others and close to what I think the fights going to be like... except (like has been mentioned) Sean's critique on BJs boxing.

Sherk doesnt have the stand up of GSP and I think he views BJs strikes as so pin point accurate because he has little to no head movement.

good post by the by
Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 PM
que

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid
Matt's and Sean's discriptions were pretty close to each others and close to what I think the fights going to be like... except (like has been mentioned) Sean's critique on BJs boxing.

Sherk doesnt have the stand up of GSP and I think he views BJs strikes as so pin point accurate because he has little to no head movement.

good post by the by

i think sherk's boxing is better than GSP's. his only disadvantage is his short reach. but sherk does have much better head movement and upper body movement than GSP though. if you watch GSP he has absolutely zero head and upper body movement when defensive and offensive striking.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I think put all three voices together and you get a quite good picture. I think Serra could be correct about what they both might do, I think Sherks prediction is pretty accurate, although i'd go for TKO and possibly submission with Penn rather then a clean KO...and I think what Hughes says about fighter evolution and Penns ability to go flat half way through a fight is good background to these people coming into the fight.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke
I don't like Sherk at all but most people admit that his boxing is prett decent. Look at his fight with Tyson Griffen. If you look at the compustrike he landed more punches than anyone in an MMA fight since they started recording it. Granted that is not exactly imperial evidence but he is pretty good.