Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 AM
que

i was baptized when i was younger after i came to know Jesus Christ. it is my opinion that baptism is nothing more than a religious ritual.

as far as securing your place in heaven, or as far as securing your riches or "brownie points" in heaven, or on earth, it means nothing... and will do neither.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
No, I don't. Did it come across that way? If so, sorry. Like I said, my first responses on topics like this are usually fairly haphazard & ill-worded.
No it didn't really come across that way.. I was just seeking clarification.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
warriorlion

I would call what Dave(Tyburn) described Dedication. I believe that baptism is about a personal declaration of faith publically, and I believe that young children often can not make that decision for themselves, as traditionally in my experience infant baptism is done to babies.

dedication on the other hand is when believing and God fearing parents dedicate their lives to raising their children to know God, and to raise them as christian.

I personally see dedication as being much what VCU was talking about, that parents choose to dedicate their baby to God. For me when I get my daugther dedicated, I will see it as a time when I set her apart for the Lord.

But thats my view on it. I know that the only reference I have come across in the bible about baptism is about when someone gets saved. Like the Eunuch (spelling) that got baptised in a puddle on the side of the road. As far as I am aware there is nothing in the bible about baptising infants
Old 04-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Chris F

Christian Baptism was a growth from what John the Baptist did which was a Essenic/Jewish cleansing ritual. It was a sign to God showing they are seeking a newness of life. It was typical for gentiles and other non Jews to be baptized prior to their adult circumcision. Christians kept it because Jesus himself demonstrated for us and we believe it is important part of our Christian walk. 2nd Century Christians began doing to infants instead of circumcision and infant baptism stuck with Catholic tradition. About 10 denominations practice it, but most just dedicate their kids.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Miss Foxy

I think we baptize our kids in my family as tradition not religion. I only had 1 of my children baptized in the Catholic Church. I am not bashing religions, but I attend non-denom Christian Church now so I don't feel the need or see the need to baptize my 6 yr old. Goodluck with whatever decision you and your childs mother make
Old 04-07-2009, 03:08 PM
cubsfan47

Here is a link to a Wikipedia article about infant baptism. I believe it is well balanced and pretty thorough.

I was baptized as an infant, and I have been asked to serve as a godparent in an upcoming baptism. When I have attended such things in the past I have always felt His presence. So I don't think He disapproves.

However, I have studied about this and have an open mind. Does an infant have to be baptized? No, but a believer should be eventually. Should it have to be by water? Well Christ submitted to it so that settles for me; except that baptism by the spirit does in fact happen.

So I don't know. I don't think it does any harm. If you believe in the practice, then you should follow it up with a confirmation as do most groups that practice it.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Villaseņor
I think we baptize our kids in my family as tradition not religion. I only had 1 of my children baptized in the Catholic Church. I am not bashing religions, but I attend non-denom Christian Church now so I don't feel the need or see the need to baptize my 6 yr old. Goodluck with whatever decision you and your childs mother make
Baptism is a decision for the baptized to make, not the mother. Mark
Old 04-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Only if the Child is above the age of accountability.

Otherwise, everything is the choice of the Parent or Guardian.

As the Baptism is just a ceremony that is nothing more then the profession of the Faith, it doesnt matter if one gets baptized on the choice of their parents, baptized on their own choice, or never baptized at all.

You cant be saved by having your head, body...or whatever, dunked in water or soaked in oil....although the Church would probably like you to believe otherwise depending on which denominations...Obviously Baptists do think highly of Baptism...and Roman Catholics believe they probably have power over baptism...but...thats the fallen Church for you
Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I agree. That is why I did not have my son baptized. I believe that shall be his decision.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE=Tyburn]Only if the Child is above the age of accountability.

Otherwise, everything is the choice of the Parent or Guardian.

As the Baptism is just a ceremony that is nothing more then the profession of the Faith, it doesnt matter if one gets baptized on the choice of their parents, baptized on their own choice, or never baptized at all.

I think you are wrong. 1 Peter 3:20, 21 Who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water. and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also-not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of good conscience toward god. It saves you by the resurection of jesus christ. Mark