Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I know a lot of Baptists baptize at age 12 or 13. What age, as for the bible, would be the age to be baptized, Nathan?

Jesus, Paul, Peter, John the Baptist all said REPENT and be baptized. A n infant or child is uncapable to repent because they are not knowledgeable of their sin. SO the right age is when a child can understand right from wrong. If you have kids or know one who does you know a 2 year old does not need ot be taught to steal or lie. They just do they take the cooikie then denie it. But eventually they realize it is wrong that is when they should be baptized after they recieve Chrsit.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Chris F

Quote:
Say, you've accepted Christ as your Saviour (Savior), that he died on the cross for our sins, and consider yourself born-again, but have not been formally baptized (as an adult) and then you die--will this prevent you from getting into Heaven?

No. That woul dbe a work and Bible says it is not by works lest any man shall boast.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Alright, you guys are like my christian support group,
so I was wondering how many of you are baptized? and how important you think it is?

I was baptized, but my son hasn't been yet, his mom and I were having a talk about it today, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion on baptism were.
Well...in the Anglican Church there are two types of Baptism.

The first is known as "infant baptism" its where you baptize a baby. Of course the baby is to young to make its mind up, so the importance of an Infant Baptism is more for the parents then the Child. it forces the parents to make a public declairation that they will do all they can to bring the Child up within the Church.

like most people, I was Baptised in 1982.

"Confirmation" This is known as "Adult Baptism" this allows someone who has never been baptized, or who wishes to make the decision for themselves, a chance to make a public declairation. Sometimes it involves full body emmersion, sometimes it involves annointing with oil

Child Baptisms can be performed by Priests, but Adult Baptisms are usually performed within the pressence of the Bishop of the Area. Its considered a little more seriously, as the person being baptised has aggreed to it themselves.

I was Confirmed by The Lord Bishop of London, in Saint Paul's Cathedral on All Saints day, 2003 (it was an oil annointing, not immersion)

Now there are many theological concepts surrounding Baptism. Firstly, in England, Baptisms are also records of the State becuase Anglicanism is sponcered by The Crown. People used to use it almost in place of a record of Birth. Secondly, there is a theology that says it doesnt mean a lot for a Child to be baptized as firstly its not their choice, and secondly, children below the age of 13 are considered automatic entrants to Heaven because they are unable to decide for themselves, due to not being able to understand the gravity of Christ clearly enough.

After the age of accountability, they must be saved. But bear in mind, being Saved and being Baptised are two different things. No ceremony the Church offers can give you salvation. Adult Baptism is therefore not needed for salvation, its merely about Public confession of Faith. The reason we do it is because as Christ himself was adult baptized, evidently, the public aspect of standing up for Christ is something to be aspired to...and this is a way of doing it.

So baptism is more or less a choice. It cant harm you, but neither can it save you.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Say, you've accepted Christ as your Saviour (Savior), that he died on the cross for our sins, and consider yourself born-again, but have not been formally baptized (as an adult) and then you die--will this prevent you from getting into Heaven?
Not at all.

Acceptance of Christ is what saves....Baptism is merely a public confession of Faith.

So long as you are "Saved" you are going to heaven. Baptism cant save you. So better to be saved and not baptised, then baptized but not saved.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorlion
Like Nate said infant batisim is worthless
Not worthless for the parents though.

Makes them promise infront of the Church to do all they can to raise the Child in the Christian Faith...they publically express THEIR possition in child rearing.

perhaps its more beneficial for the parents then the infant
Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I disagree with Nate & Warrior on this, actually. I personally believe in infant baptism because I believe that it's a mark of being a covenant child (the child of a believer). Much like circumcision in the Old Testament was a sign placed on a child to set him a part as a member of God chosen people, I believe that baptizing a child is a way of setting him apart for the Lord & laying claim, on the child's behalf, the many promises God make to the children of believers.

All that being said, if someone was not a covenant child & is converted, I do believe that they should then be baptized. Also, I probably did a messy job conveying what I mean, so I'm going to take a little time to write up a more formal (i.e. not sloppy) version.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan
I disagree with Nate & Warrior on this, actually. I personally believe in infant baptism because I believe that it's a mark of being a covenant child (the child of a believer). Much like circumcision in the Old Testament was a sign placed on a child to set him a part as a member of God chosen people, I believe that baptizing a child is a way of setting him apart for the Lord & laying claim, on the child's behalf, the many promises God make to the children of believers.

All that being said, if someone was not a covenant child & is converted, I do believe that they should then be baptized. Also, I probably did a messy job conveying what I mean, so I'm going to take a little time to write up a more formal (i.e. not sloppy) version.
You'd need to show some Biblical support of that. It sounds like a nice church tradition, but I have never found anything in the Bible that supports infant baptism.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan

I think that's what most people in mainstream Christianity would call getting your child dedicated.

Do you think that being baptized as an infant assures salvation??
Old 04-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Children are covered by the age of accountability whether they are baptized or not
Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
You'd need to show some Biblical support of that. It sounds like a nice church tradition, but I have never found anything in the Bible that supports infant baptism.
O, I know. Like I said, I need to write up a clearer & Scripture-based explanation. It's just gonna take me a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I think that's what most people in mainstream Christianity would call getting your child dedicated.

No, I don't. Did it come across that way? If so, sorry. Like I said, my first responses on topics like this are usually fairly haphazard & ill-worded.