Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-05-2009, 12:55 AM
atomdanger

Default Baptism

Alright, you guys are like my christian support group,
so I was wondering how many of you are baptized? and how important you think it is?

I was baptized, but my son hasn't been yet, his mom and I were having a talk about it today, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion on baptism were.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
so I was wondering how many of you are baptized? and how important you think it is?

I was baptized, but my son hasn't been yet, his mom and I were having a talk about it today, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion on baptism were.
Are you talking about infant baptism? Well, that's essentially worthless. It has no biblical basis.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:41 AM

I know a lot of Baptists baptize at age 12 or 13. What age, as for the bible, would be the age to be baptized, Nathan?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I know a lot of Baptists baptize at age 12 or 13. What age, as for the bible, would be the age to be baptized, Nathan?

Good question....
Old 04-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Jesus got baptized at the age of 30; but there is no set age for baptism. It's something you do after getting born-again, which could happen at any time in your life.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:06 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger

I was baptized shortly after I became a Christian. I don't believe it was necessary or part of my salvation but more sybolic in nature. It gave me an opportunity even in a small way to follow in Christ's footsteps. To me that's what made it special.

I'm sure you've heard it described this way before but they say baptism is an outward sign of an inward change. I like that description. There was something encouraging about emerging from the water as a "new man" in Christ. Purely symbolic... but still encouraging.

My thoughts anyway... We did have all four of our children dedicated when they were younger which might be similar to a child being baptized but not quite the same thing.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 AM

Say, you've accepted Christ as your Saviour (Savior), that he died on the cross for our sins, and consider yourself born-again, but have not been formally baptized (as an adult) and then you die--will this prevent you from getting into Heaven?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Say, you've accepted Christ as your Saviour (Savior), that he died on the cross for our sins, and consider yourself born-again, but have not been formally baptized (as an adult) and then you die--will this prevent you from getting into Heaven?
Some denominations believe so but I personally don't. I have never found conclusive scripture that says baptizm is necessary for salvation. To me baptism is symbolic in nature.. not sanctifying.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Jesus got baptized at the age of 30; but there is no set age for baptism. It's something you do after getting born-again, which could happen at any time in your life.

Ahhhh thank you Nate
Old 04-05-2009, 11:49 AM
warriorlion

Quote:

No I dont believe that it will, there is no biblical standing that says you must be baptised to be savd, however it is something that Jesus said that we should do, believe and be baptised, its about nailing your colours to the mast, showing the world outwardly where you stand. Like Nate said infant batisim is worthless as there is no choice on the part of the person, but choosing to be baptised I believe is important in that you are being obedient to Jesus. ANd after all if it was the right thing for Him to do, then shouldnt we as believer feel that its the right thing for us.

I personally decided to get baptised a little while after I became a christian as I felt it was the one thing that I could do to say thank you to God for, not that I felt that I had to, but that I wanted to give something back to God for all He had done for me up to that point and for all He would do for me as the years went past. The only thing I could do was a public show of where I stad. Nailed my colours to the mast.