Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 04-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard
I disagree. If I get married without any mention of a god, it is not a christian ceremony. The idea and concept of marriage is a lot older than Christianity.
Actually, I agree. In fact, if you read the Bible, then you will see that the very first "human institution" that GOD created was a marriage, not a church. A relationship, not a religion.

So, yes, technically it predates the religion of Christianity. However, since it was created by GOD to be a bond between a man and a woman, then it's not our place as humans to redefine that in any way.

The problem here is the idea of civil marriages that are carried about by a judge and completely free of any religious or spiritual establishment. Those never existed in ancient times.

However, this is just the beginning. If gay marriage is legalized, then expect the polygamists in Utah to get permission to marry multiple spouses. Then the pedophiles will be fighting for the "right" to marry young children. After that, I guess we'll get people trying to marry animals. Once you allow immorality to get a foot in the door, then it's just a matter of time before the entire house is torn down.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Actually, I agree. In fact, if you read the Bible, then you will see that the very first "human institution" that GOD created was a marriage, not a church. A relationship, not a religion.
Quote:
So, yes, technically it predates the religion of Christianity. However, since it was created by GOD to be a bond between a man and a woman, then it's not our place as humans to redefine that in any way.
Where you and I disagree is that marriage was created by a god. Even after having read the bible, I still don't believe in a god, nor a devil either.

Quote:
The problem here is the idea of civil marriages that are carried about by a judge and completely free of any religious or spiritual establishment. Those never existed in ancient times.
I see no problem in that at all, though you are making an assumption that people getting married by a judge have no spirituality in their vows.

Quote:
However, this is just the beginning. If gay marriage is legalized, then expect the polygamists in Utah to get permission to marry multiple spouses.
Why would I expect this?

Quote:
Then the pedophiles will be fighting for the "right" to marry young children. After that, I guess we'll get people trying to marry animals.
Ah, the old tie trying to equate homosexuality to pedophilia and then to bestiality. You are comparing a relationship between consenting adults to a criminal relationship between an adult and a child where the child isn't lawfully allowed to consent, and to a relationship in which an adult forces himself upon an animal. How can you equate them? Just wondering.

Quote:
Once you allow immorality to get a foot in the door, then it's just a matter of time before the entire house is torn down.
Immorality has a firm footing in the door in most heterosexual marriages and relationships IMO if you are going to base it on the term sodomy. Not saying that you are basing your opinions upon that word, but I'm almost sure that it is in there somewhere.

I don't see how allowing homosexual marriage would have any negative effects on my heterosexual marriage.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
I don't see how allowing homosexual marriage would have any negative effects on my heterosexual marriage.
You may not, but others do. In fact, MOST Americans oppose gay marriage.

And why would that be? Because they don't feel it is against God and the natural order of things?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I disagree. If I get married without any mention of a god, it is not a christian ceremony. The idea and concept of marriage is a lot older than Christianity.
You mean in a registry office....NOT using a Christian liturgy in ANY way? then I aggree...that would be a Pagen Union I suppose...If you considered it more then just a legal contract.

But face it...how many Non-Christians dont use the Christian ceremony? I bet vertually none. I suspect most of them get married in a Church and its probably the only time besides their funeral, that they visit one
Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I still don't believe in a god, nor a devil either.
So what do you believe in?

its not just Christianity that opposes the idea of Homosexuality.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion
You may not, but others do. In fact, MOST Americans oppose gay marriage.

And why would that be? Because they don't feel it is against God and the natural order of things?
How would legalizing gay marriage affect your heterosexual marriage? Can you put up something to back your claim that "most Americans oppose gay marriage?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-gay-marriage/

While the above link shows a poll in which the majority oppose it, it clearly does not show that most Americans oppose it. How would it affect your marriage? Do you and your spouse engage in any "immoral" acts?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
You mean in a registry office....NOT using a Christian liturgy in ANY way? then I aggree(sic)...that would be a Pagen(sic) Union I suppose...If you considered it more then(sic) just a legal contract.

But face it...how many Non-Christians dont(sic) use the Christian ceremony? I bet vertually(sic) none. I suspect most of them get married in a Church and its(sic) probably the only time besides their funeral, that they visit one
I've been to numerous non-christian marriages that weren't held in a church and didn't incorporate god into the ceremony.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
I've been to numerous non-christian marriages that weren't held in a church and didn't incorporate god into the ceremony.
Really...

I'd like you to tell me about some of them please
Old 04-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
So what do you believe in?

its not just Christianity that opposes the idea of Homosexuality.
Do you think that homosexuals are born that way or choose it as a lifestyle?

If you think that they are born that way and believe in god, yet oppose it, then aren't you opposing something that god created?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Do you think that homosexuals are born that way or choose it as a lifestyle?

If you think that they are born that way and believe in god, yet oppose it, then aren't you opposing something that god created?
Bear in mind your talking to someone who was active in the homosexual lifestyle

Are you ready for my answer