Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 PM

Talking Turtle...

Well, I was coming home from the gym this afternoon and saw something that inspired me. So, I'm driving down this main street that leads to the main blvd. of my addition. We live where there are a lot of trees, gives you the feeling like you're out in the country.

There's a turn lane and light where I can turn onto the blvd. of the addition. I'm coming up to the turn lane when I see the car in front of me swerve to the side so I slow down and I notice there is something small crossing our lane of the road. As I approach I, too, swerve to the right and notice it's a turtle. So I stop behind several other cars in the turn lane and look back in my mirrors so I can watch the turtle.

He (I'll call it a he) makes it to the middle of the road and pauses. Now it's past 4:00 p.m. so traffic is pretty heavy on this road this time of day going both ways. So I'm watching anxiously to see what happens. The cars going past me in his direction are going at least 40mph if not faster and have no idea he's there. So he starts to make his move to cross that lane; he's okay for now 'cause he's not in the middle yet.

The cars are whizzing by him and then he really makes his move going for the center and taking it. The cars are practically on him when they see him. The first car swerves right. The next car swerves left. The turtle keeps going. Swerve, swerve...OMG...he almost bit it...twice! Another car swerves and another and...

He makes it!

I let all the tension and anxiety whoosh out of me with a and a mental whoop of "Yeah!"

Then I get to thinking about that turtle crossing that busy road and all these "life" inspiring catch phrases start popping into my head:

Timing is Everything
Take a Chance
No Fear
Life's Short, Go for It
Just Do It
So...What's Stopping You
Life's a Curve, Swerve

and lastly

Be a Turtle!

I just wanted to share that with all of you. It kind of reminded me of Katie's story from Matt's blog. Live life and make every moment count.

Last edited by Bonnie; 04-03-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:56 AM

Hey, you know, you guys can "share" some of your inspirations/moments/sayings (your own or something you've heard), etc...

Anyone?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:58 AM
Administrator

I thought it was a cute story.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
I thought it was a cute story.
Thank you Nathan.

That really did happen today. Just got me thinking about how many of us (me included) let fear or other things get in the way of/stop us from really living life to the fullest.

You know what was most surprising? The fact that every one of those drivers swerved to keep from hitting that turtle.

Last edited by Bonnie; 04-03-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Awww, Bonnie, what a cute story!!

Do you know what would have been funny? If you had gotten out of the car, picked it up to rescue it, and it bit you cuz it's a snapping turtle. I know, I'm sick.

Inspirational story: my cousin has been run over on two different occasions and is still alive and kicking. One of the people who ran him over was a little old lady from church who backed right over him as a joke. She thought it would be funny to try and scare him while he was loading her groceries into her car. I know it's not really inspirational but laughing at someone else makes me feel better most days so I thought I'd share that story for anyone who needed to laugh today.

~Amy

My son made this for me:
Old 04-03-2009, 11:49 AM

That's a really cool story, Bonnie. I find that I need to hear things like that to push me to do what I want to do. I think often times what stops me is a fear of success. It sounds strange, but I think it exists. We don't take the chance because what the heck would we do if it actually worked out the way we wanted it to. Sometimes it's so mucheasier to stay on one side of the road and wait for someone to pick you up and carry you over.
my two cents.

[
Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN

Do you know what would have been funny? If you had gotten out of the car, picked it up to rescue it, and it bit you cuz it's a snapping turtle. I know, I'm sick.

Inspirational story: my cousin has been run over on two different occasions and is still alive and kicking. One of the people who ran him over was a little old lady from church who backed right over him as a joke. She thought it would be funny to try and scare him while he was loading her groceries into her car. I know it's not really inspirational but laughing at someone else makes me feel better most days so I thought I'd share that story for anyone who needed to laugh today.

~Amy
The moral of the story is: Never help old ladies!

I find great humor in laughing at other people (falling spilling stuff, etc)

[
Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
County Mike

Quote:
One of the people who ran him over was a little old lady from church who backed right over him as a joke. She thought it would be funny to try and scare him while he was loading her groceries into her car.
That sadistic old bag!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:

~Amy
You and my husband... He said I should have picked him up and carried him across. I'm like and said, then I probably would have been hit by a car. I don't know if they would have swerved for me.

Are you sure you and the little old lady aren't related?

Actually, I kind of have a sense of humor too and sometimes laugh at inappropriate times.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
That's a really cool story, Bonnie. I find that I need to hear things like that to push me to do what I want to do. I think often times what stops me is a fear of success. It sounds strange, but I think it exists. We don't take the chance because what the heck would we do if it actually worked out the way we wanted it to. Sometimes it's so mucheasier to stay on one side of the road and wait for someone to pick you up and carry you over.
my two cents.
I know exactly what you mean.