Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
she is a damm Kraut! ha ha
You got something against the Germans

Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator

In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty minor. However, it doesn't reflect well on the future of Obama's foreign policy.

Sure, the English have no problem forgiving these little gaffs, but I doubt countries like Iran and North Korea will be so gracious. I don't think the current state of the world is going to be very forgiving of "learn as you go" foreign policy.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Don't get me wrong Dave....I completely understand the difference in cultures, and I understand that the Obama's would have been briefed on what is proper and what is not....

However, your comparison of touching the queen "inappropriately" to violating the constitution of the United States is not only hypothetical, but it's also apples and oranges.

We are talking about politely putting a hand on someones back. Not a drunken "yee haw" hillbilly slap on the back. More than anything, it was probably a natural reaction from Mrs. Obama. I realize that it is a different culture, but I still don't think that it was anything intentional or anything to get riled about.
Let me try and explain it some more. The Historic position of a Virger was to clear a path through markets and into the sanctuary. Just like with the Jews, the Christians of less then 200 years ago would use the Church as a market place. For years, Saint Paul's Cathedral was even partly open air!

But the Procession was seen as something sacred, and so a man was employed to walk infront of the procession with a silver cane, to push people asside.

Now when I was at Saint Paul's we used to have a guy come for Evensong Regularly who we called "The Angel" because thats whay he believed he was. He had a nasty habit to want to reach out and touch the processional cross as we passed up the Quire.

Its just NOT done

Look but dont touch

I would have to point my Silver cane in his direction if he showed signs of stepping forwards

Now, I dont think it was intentionally rude...but what peeves me is the amount of Americans...not just on this site who are like

"well who cares?"

Its about manners, about showing you value your allies, its about respecting the boundaries of other cultures. Actually, the comparison is quite good, thats what I'm trying to explain. The Embodiment of America, is not a person, but two objects, a flag, and a constitution. They sum up what America should be.

The Queen is supposed to symbolise the same for the British...its just, we've pretty much abandoned her. In many ways, she has carries a lot more weight then the constitution of the United States. Her position has been around longer, its been through wars, empires, natural disastors, its effected politics, finances, and religion on a world wide level.

All of that is contained in HM The Queen
Old 04-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I've always admired the way the Brits treat royalty. "honor" .
Exactly! thats the word.

and chivilry
Old 04-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I don't mind the "not touching" rule, but the "bowing" is unacceptable to me, much like people bowing/kissing the pope's hand. If it's in adoration of God that's one thing, but for man's pomp and circumstance, no, I don't like it.
Bonnie...your not likely to meet her though are you besides...Women dont bow

they courtsey
Old 04-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
I wouldn't mind doing the bowing to keep up appearances. They couldn't control what I was thinking while bowing though. However, I am all for the NO touching. I am an extreme don't touch me person (unless I decide I like you and want to, then I am touchy feely quite often.) I don't like to shake hands with someone that I don't know or have just met. I wished the glove thing was 'in' over here and the DONT touch me thing unless invited!
you should try working in a supermarket!

all the customers...they touch you...perhaps they poke you in the back...or grab your arm. Thats about personal space really.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Miss Foxy

My mutters family has Bavarian Royalty so now all you men bow down!! lol.. J/k but seriously the family tree has royalty..
Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty minor. However, it doesn't reflect well on the future of Obama's foreign policy.

Sure, the English have no problem forgiving these little gaffs, but I doubt countries like Iran and North Korea will be so gracious. I don't think the current state of the world is going to be very forgiving of "learn as you go" foreign policy.
EXACTLY.

but in a way...that shows how lapse the British are. It shows we actually dont care about our customs. Now the Orientals can be DEEPLY offended if you approach them in the wrong manner.

I still think some of the English Monarchic ettiquette is taken from the Oriental, I really do, because a lot of it is similar, except LESS formal. In the presence of some Orientals, you probably need to geneflect rather then bow....you probably have to be able to walk backwards whilst bowing constantly whilst in their pressence.

They treat NORMAL people, like WE treat the Queen....to Dishonnour an Oriental is to inspire a deep sence of dislike, then can boil over into rage and warfare
Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Crisco

I actually come from German Nobility aswell
Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
EXACTLY.

but in a way...that shows how lapse the British are. It shows we actually dont care about our customs. Now the Orientals can be DEEPLY offended if you approach them in the wrong manner.

I still think some of the English Monarchic ettiquette is taken from the Oriental, I really do, because a lot of it is similar, except LESS formal. In the presence of some Orientals, you probably need to geneflect rather then bow....you probably have to be able to walk backwards whilst bowing constantly whilst in their pressence.

They treat NORMAL people, like WE treat the Queen....to Dishonnour an Oriental is to inspire a deep sence of dislike, then can boil over into rage and warfare
Since everyone is on an appropriate be nice to each other kick. Oriental is considered offensive Dave. Just an FYI.. Asian is used to generalize the race.