Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 04-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
No. You arent supposed to touch the Queen. She is the "embodiment of the Country"

You dont speak to her unless she starts a conversation. You dont touch her unless she offers you her hand. when in her presence, you dont turn your back on her, (when you want to leave, either follow or walk next to her...or walk backwards away from her) and when greeting her, you must bow.

She wears gloves most of the time so she cant be touched. its probably about old Purity Laws...but she is a very important person, like a living relic, she must be treated with a certain amount of reverence She Personifies more then One Thousand Years of Monarchy, She represents a Nation which has rulled over a third of the World with an Empire. That is what you are Addressing...your not just approaching a person...your approaching "The Crown" thats the whole legacy of this country, back to the Romans.

So...we ask for a little respect hahahaha
I've always admired the way the Brits treat royalty. I think "honor" is something this country has forgotten a lot about. We used to honor our parents, our teachers, fireman, policemen....even our President In that respect anyway I wish we were more like you Dave.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 PM

I don't mind the "not touching" rule, but the "bowing" is unacceptable to me, much like people bowing/kissing the pope's hand. If it's in adoration of God that's one thing, but for man's pomp and circumstance, no, I don't like it.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Miss Foxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
Don't get me wrong Dave....I completely understand the difference in cultures, and I understand that the Obama's would have been briefed on what is proper and what is not....

However, your comparison of touching the queen "inappropriately" to violating the constitution of the United States is not only hypothetical, but it's also apples and oranges.

We are talking about politely putting a hand on someones back. Not a drunken "yee haw" hillbilly slap on the back. More than anything, it was probably a natural reaction from Mrs. Obama. I realize that it is a different culture, but I still don't think that it was anything intentional or anything to get riled about.
Exactly!! People need to stop judging every step she makes, because they dont like her husband. Give her a break already. I also loved the speech she gave all the schoolgirls. It had a very sincere message and most young ladies should read the manuscript or watch it on youtube. I know my Alexandra was forced to watch it... BTW Lady Di for being a royal never acted snotty! Thats why the world loved her so much...
Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
I don't mind the "not touching" rule, but the "bowing" is unacceptable to me, much like people bowing/kissing the pope's hand. If it's in adoration of God that's one thing, but for man's pomp and circumstance, no, I don't like it.
LOL... I'm actually the exact opposite!

I have no problem with bowing... I actually think it's beautiful that the Asian culture still does it...

The no touching me thing?? I'd be like "who the heck you think YOU are??? "
Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
LOL... I'm actually the exact opposite!

I have no problem with bowing... I actually think it's beautiful that the Asian culture still does it...

The no touching me thing?? I'd be like "who the heck you think YOU are??? "
I wouldn't mind doing the bowing to keep up appearances. They couldn't control what I was thinking while bowing though. However, I am all for the NO touching. I am an extreme don't touch me person (unless I decide I like you and want to, then I am touchy feely quite often.) I don't like to shake hands with someone that I don't know or have just met. I wished the glove thing was 'in' over here and the DONT touch me thing unless invited!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Crisco

This thread title is dirty.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 PM
County Mike

I touched the queen inappropriately.

She didn't mind. ;)
Old 04-03-2009, 05:05 PM
KevinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
I agree.

Who cares if somebody put their hand on the Queen's back? Seriously, their are so many more things in this world to gripe about. I realize that it is tradition and part of the culture, but people take it WAY to seriously. Times change, people change.

Some stupid terrorist loving reporter whips his shoes at our leader and 90% of our country laughed their ass off. Somebody touches the Queen "inappropriately" and Britain is up in arms. I just don't get it.

Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlion
Its following protocol like that, that makes people want to oust the royals.

Michelle is the first lady and entirely equal to the Queen.

For me there is no issue, no rule she has to follow.

The Queen needs to be seen as more personable and approachable.

Let me just state, that myself, none of my friends or any of my family are even the slightest put out by this!
Its protocol like that which is about the only quintessentially English thing left.

The Queen is not a dolly bird, She isnt supposed to be approchable. This is the problem with most Brits today. NOTHING is sacred, nothing is regarded as important, nothing is treated with the proper respect its deserved. Instead of a Hierachy that is not demeaning, but valueable...all these stupid equals, treat all these stupid equals with equal disdain!

Its called having Manners...whether you think ettiquette is important or not is irrelevent....if you are a guest in anothers country, you should act accordingly.

Naturally...it was front page news on The Daily Mail
Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar
I wouldn't mind doing the bowing to keep up appearances. They couldn't control what I was thinking while bowing though. However, I am all for the NO touching. I am an extreme don't touch me person (unless I decide I like you and want to, then I am touchy feely quite often.) I don't like to shake hands with someone that I don't know or have just met. I wished the glove thing was 'in' over here and the DONT touch me thing unless invited!
Oh Denise I can hardly wait until we meet in person...