Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 04-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Well, a huge percentage of the Bible is prophecy. If we weren't supposed to be paying attention to it, then why would GOD waste so much time giving out these visions?

Prophecy has many purposes including preventing believers from being deceived by false prophets/christs, helping believers to face a tulmultuous world without worry or fear (it helps in knowing that things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, but they are still guaranteed to get better for believers), and finally it helps add a sense of urgency to our mission work and helps us to prioritize what's important and what's not (do we send missionaries to a village in India that has never heard the Gospel, or do we instead use that money to put a new carpet in the church?).

Looking at current events in the news today, those Christians who know prophecy understand that this current "world peace at all costs" movement and the emerging global market are all major signs that the time of the Anti-Christ is very near (probably within our lifetimes).

Revelation 22:7
"Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book."

I'm at the gym right now, so I don't have time to read through all 101 reasons, but I'll check them out tonight and give my thoughts.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizion
This will probably come out of the peace treaty.
The European Union

its always on the brink of disastor...ask about Ireland and the vote on a new constitution for it

You might have gone with the United Nations...but even they have historically been ignored.

Russia and China dont use the same currency

You might have gone with The Euro...but of course the most essential part of Europe rejected it. That would be England then
Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, a huge percentage of the Bible is prophecy. If we weren't supposed to be paying attention to it, then why would GOD waste so much time giving out these visions?

Prophecy has many purposes including preventing believers from being deceived by false prophets/christs, helping believers to face a tulmultuous world without worry or fear (it helps in knowing that things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, but they are still guaranteed to get better for believers), and finally it helps add a sense of urgency to our mission work and helps us to prioritize what's important and what's not (do we send missionaries to a village in India that has never heard the Gospel, or do we instead use that money to put a new carpet in the church?).

Looking at current events in the news today, those Christians who know prophecy understand that this current "world peace at all costs" movement and the emerging global market are all major signs that the time of the Anti-Christ is very near (probably within our lifetimes).

Revelation 22:7
"Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book."

I'm at the gym right now, so I don't have time to read through all 101 reasons, but I'll check them out tonight and give my thoughts.
Always the nerd Nate =P On the comp while at the gym haha.

You are right sir I agree.

I should have phrased my point differently. I should have said beware people looking to hard for signs as sometimes they are mistaken. And prophecy as in people who are flawed and sinful making prophecy not so much the prophetics of the bible.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

Thats what they said in the first would war
thats what they said during the great depression
thats what they said during the second world war

EVERY generation always says it will happen in their lifetime. The point is not to obsess about it. Like...for example tell the world that the Tribulation would begin last September....oh....wait...that was
Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn
The European Union

its always on the brink of disastor...ask about Ireland and the vote on a new constitution for it
So? That doesn't mean it won't play a major role in consolidating countries in the near future

Russia and China dont use the same currency
didnt say they did - said they want to

You might have gone with The Euro...but of course the most essential part of Europe rejected it. That would be England then
Who knows what will happen tho with ecomomies crumbling around us. The Bible says it WILL happen, do you not agree?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Hughes fanboy

Quote:

EVERY generation always says it will happen in their lifetime. The point is not to obsess about it. Like...for example tell the world that the Tribulation would begin last September....oh....wait...that was
You stepped into that one mate...

Men would mock the warning signs of the end of the age saying, These signs have always been around (2 Peter 3:3-4). The Bible even reveals their motivation, they love lust.

2 Peter 3:3-4 states "3 knowing this first, that in the last days mockers shall come with mockery, walking after their own lusts, 4and saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for, from the day that the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation."
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
HOWEVER, there was no nation of Israel established during those time periods and the Jews didn't have control of Jerusalem. Ever since 1948, it's been a completely different ball game.

Quote:
First of all, those were different Bible teachers saying different things. One of those programs only said that we would see a major world catastrophe before summer of 2009. If I recall aren't we in the middle of a massive world catastrophe? Or have you forgotten what's happened to the world economy since October?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
HOWEVER, there was no nation of Israel established during those time periods and the Jews didn't have control of Jerusalem. Ever since 1948, it's been a completely different ball game.
Nathan...can I ask you...why you think that the Jew in Israel NOW signifies the End Times?

What the Bible doesnt say is how many times they might be displaced. How do you know that they wont be displaced by the arabs again...perhaps for several more centuries before returning?

You dont know WHICH return to the Holy Land the Prophecy refers to. You ASSUME this to be THE fulfilment...but actually...you dont know how many times the Jews will be forced out of Israel before they are inhabiting the land ready for the end times.

The manner in which the Jews returned, is what concerns me. It was the fulfilment of a self fulfiling prophecy...thats for certain. They had been wronged, and rather then return to broken homes across Europe they chose to put in a plea to return to Israel...for the VERY reason the Bible said they would.

What I mean is...if you went out tommorow and deliberatley built the Temple in Jerusalem...would that be a prophecy...or would you be forcing that prophecy to come true in YOUR time rather then GODs

So yes...the Jews are in the right place...but we dont know how long they will be in Israel before being pushed out again...and we still havent got many of the other MAJOR signs which everyone always forgets

I'll believe we are in the End Times when I see Jeremiahs vision rebuilt. Until then, I just think that we could be on the brink of it...OR we could be THOUSANDS of years from it.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Nathan...can I ask you...why you think that the Jew in Israel NOW signifies the End Times?

What the Bible doesnt say is how many times they might be displaced. How do you know that they wont be displaced by the arabs again...perhaps for several more centuries before returning?

You dont know WHICH return to the Holy Land the Prophecy refers to. You ASSUME this to be THE fulfilment...but actually...you dont know how many times the Jews will be forced out of Israel before they are inhabiting the land ready for the end times.

The manner in which the Jews returned, is what concerns me. It was the fulfilment of a self fulfiling prophecy...thats for certain. They had been wronged, and rather then return to broken homes across Europe they chose to put in a plea to return to Israel...for the VERY reason the Bible said they would.

What I mean is...if you went out tommorow and deliberatley built the Temple in Jerusalem...would that be a prophecy...or would you be forcing that prophecy to come true in YOUR time rather then GODs

So yes...the Jews are in the right place...but we dont know how long they will be in Israel before being pushed out again...and we still havent got many of the other MAJOR signs which everyone always forgets

I'll believe we are in the End Times when I see Jeremiahs vision rebuilt. Until then, I just think that we could be on the brink of it...OR we could be THOUSANDS of years from it.
Mainly because Israel hadn't been a sovereign nation for over 2500 years prior to 1948. And saying that Israel was only reestablished as a way to "force" a prophecy fulfillment is really a deceptive and misleading statement. Since when have the world governments cared about fulfilling Bible prophecy? It happened because GOD wanted it to happen, no other reason.

Also because of other things that haven't been in place until the last 50-60 years: nuclear weapons, instant worldwide communication (this conversation you and I are having right now would have been considered impossible just 30 years ago), and the concept of a global community are all major signs that have only come about recently.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 PM
cheachea

Quote:
Mainly because Israel hadn't been a sovereign nation for over 2500 years prior to 1948. And saying that Israel was only reestablished as a way to "force" a prophecy fulfillment is really a deceptive and misleading statement. Since when have the world governments cared about fulfilling Bible prophecy? It happened because GOD wanted it to happen, no other reason.

Also because of other things that haven't been in place until the last 50-60 years: nuclear weapons, instant worldwide communication (this conversation you and I are having right now would have been considered impossible just 30 years ago), and the concept of a global community are all major signs that have only come about recently.

I agree with this.