Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 04-04-2009, 06:05 PM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Why? I don't know much about the high fructose syrup....

I could go on for days, but...

Large quantities of fructose stimulate the liver to produce triglycerides, promotes glycation of proteins and induces insulin resistance. According to one study, the average American consumes nearly 70 pounds of HFCS a year, marking HFCS as a major contributor to the rising rates of obesity in the last generation.

A pilot study reported that high-fructose corn syrup manufactured in the U.S. in 2005 was commonly tainted with mercury. The mercury appeared to come from caustic soda and hydrochloric acid, two chemicals used in the manufacture of high-fructose corn syrup that can, depending on their manufacturing process, contain traces of mercury. Mercury concentration in HFCS was as high as 0.570 μg/g (micrograms per gram).[43]

HFCS is proven to mask the feeling of being full, so you eat more,
and its in EVERYTHING you probably eat. I mean, they put it in your bread,
ketchup, soda, chicken nuggets, etc... Start reading labels, this crap is in everything. Its horrible.

It is also very very processed, and takes a genetically modified enzyme to create it.




and of COURSE, like anything else in the world, there are conflicting studies,
but look at the facts and decide for yourself.
Most of the conflicting studies were done by people with something to gain.
(Soda companies, Corn Refiners Association, etc..)
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
and of COURSE, like anything else in the world, there are conflicting studies,
but look at the facts and decide for yourself.
Most of the conflicting studies were done by people with something to gain.
(Soda companies, Corn Refiners Association, etc..)
There are A LOT of pro-high fructose corn syrup ads on TV around here, but we're in the middle of corn country. The best they can say about it is that it's "made from corn" and it's "perfectly fine in moderation."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
I could go on for days, but...

Large quantities of fructose stimulate the liver to produce triglycerides, promotes glycation of proteins and induces insulin resistance. According to one study, the average American consumes nearly 70 pounds of HFCS a year, marking HFCS as a major contributor to the rising rates of obesity in the last generation.

A pilot study reported that high-fructose corn syrup manufactured in the U.S. in 2005 was commonly tainted with mercury. The mercury appeared to come from caustic soda and hydrochloric acid, two chemicals used in the manufacture of high-fructose corn syrup that can, depending on their manufacturing process, contain traces of mercury. Mercury concentration in HFCS was as high as 0.570 μg/g (micrograms per gram).[43]

HFCS is proven to mask the feeling of being full, so you eat more,
and its in EVERYTHING you probably eat. I mean, they put it in your bread,
ketchup, soda, chicken nuggets, etc... Start reading labels, this crap is in everything. Its horrible.

It is also very very processed, and takes a genetically modified enzyme to create it.




and of COURSE, like anything else in the world, there are conflicting studies,
but look at the facts and decide for yourself.
Most of the conflicting studies were done by people with something to gain.
(Soda companies, Corn Refiners Association, etc..)

That's interesting stuff.... it seems like now a days you can't really eat anything without digesting some sort of crap thats bad for you.

It's a shame really.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-05-2009, 12:50 AM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
There are A LOT of pro-high fructose corn syrup ads on TV around here, but we're in the middle of corn country. The best they can say about it is that it's "made from corn" and it's "perfectly fine in moderation."
hahaha yeah, they play those here too!

I love corn, I just try to stay away from things so processed, and containing genetically modified ingredients.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-05-2009, 12:51 AM
atomdanger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
That's interesting stuff.... it seems like now a days you can't really eat anything without digesting some sort of crap thats bad for you.

It's a shame really.
Yeah it is really sad, and a lot of people can't afford to eat healthy organic everything.

Then people are fat, and sick and unhealthy, then they get state medical that we all pay for, etc...

Its a bad cycle.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Yeah it is really sad, and a lot of people can't afford to eat healthy organic everything.

Then people are fat, and sick and unhealthy, then they get state medical that we all pay for, etc...

Its a bad cycle.
I'm sure some corporate exec has designed it that way somewhere...

it's all about the $$$
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.