Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default I just broke my right ankle

At 1pm I left Markenfield to go to town for a late lunch...I had not eaten at all so far today at that point. So I go through my back garden and right by the steps that lead through the back gate and passed the pine tree...there was a stone on the steps which I didnt see.

I fell and it was a bit like when Gabriel Gonzaga knocked out cro-cop...but instead of my leg, it was my right foot turned the wrong way underneith me.

I lay there in shock for a while, partly coz I hadnt eaten...I checked my ankle and was surprised to see no blood or bone...and more surprised that I could wiggle all my toes.

Using the pine tree I got up, and limped like nothing on earth to the bus stop...the bus went to town, I got off in town and limped to an eatery enroute to a second bus stop.

Once I'd eaten I felt better...caught the second bus to the hospital...Harrogate District...and registered at Accident and Emergency...the Ave wait is three hours to be seen...but mine was only 45 mins...I was defered to X-rays

They then told me it was broken...it looks like its chipped or fractured a bone somewhere twix the inside ball, and the back Achilles. They told me it was "broken" in some way...and the worry was that the bit that broke off might cause more damage...sooooo they scooted me to casts, and put a temporary cast on, gave me crutches, and told me to come back on Thursday.

They said until then I am not allowed to let the right foot even touch the floor...not even when on crutches...but hope to give me a back plate on Thursday come what may so then I can put slight weight on it. They also say they don't think that it will require surgery.

Until Thursday I am not allowed to work, then the agenda is to be set by the fracture clinic.

In England, you never get paid for your first three days of absence from work...after that you are paid sick pay which is pittance. Naturally I was worried about how I would pay the mortgage.

My Mother collected me...it took me ten mins to get from the lobby to the car Then they took me to my nans for tea...took me quarter an hour to get to her room...then after they had sorted everything out, they took me home.

I dont know if you know the layout of markenfield...but to approach the south side, its two sets of 3 steps...from the back door to the aviary its one set of three...from the back door to the gate, three sets of three...and a further five to the back car park....my bed, and the loo are up an open plan spiral stair case of thirteen....needless to say this is a ••••ing nightmare when all you can do is hop

The one bit of goodnews is I was able to contact work so they know I will be off at least til thursday...aweful for them since this is Great Yorkshire Show week...its busy, busy, busy....secondly someone from work said that after my initial three days off...I can claim up to 12 weeks of full pay coz I've been employed for over five years with Wal-Mart...and because in that time I have had a 0 percent absence....I've been sent home ill only twice.

Yes...Tomorrow will be my first day off from a contracted shift since I started at Asda eight and a half years ago...to put that into perspective...I havent had a day sick since 6 months BEFORE joining this forum.

Until tomorrow
Old 07-08-2014, 02:40 AM

So sorry this happened, Dave. I can empathize with you having to do the non-weight bearing part, I had my right Achilles tendon repaired and was non-weight bearing for two months. Initially it was to be a shorter period of time but I fell, and when I tried to catch myself, I just naturally put my foot down.

All those stairs are worrisome especially that spiral staircase. If possible, maybe you could go up and down those on your butt using your good leg to maneuver...might be easier than hopping and taking a risk with your hurt foot as well as possibly injuring your good leg/foot.

Hopefully they will be able to fix you up with a walking cast or boot so you can be somewhat weight bearing with the use of your crutches. Let us know how things go.

You'll be in my prayers.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:16 AM
Stump Rules!

I'm sorry about your foot Dave that blows! Make sure that you do keep off of it, no matter what. I hope you heal fast!

In the meantime...try to enjoy that time off of work. Sometimes I wouldn't mind throwing myself down a flight of stairs to get off the job for a while paid

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
So sorry this happened, Dave. I can empathize with you having to do the non-weight bearing part, I had my right Achilles tendon repaired and was non-weight bearing for two months. Initially it was to be a shorter period of time but I fell, and when I tried to catch myself, I just naturally put my foot down.

All those stairs are worrisome especially that spiral staircase. If possible, maybe you could go up and down those on your butt using your good leg to maneuver...might be easier than hopping and taking a risk with your hurt foot as well as possibly injuring your good leg/foot.

Hopefully they will be able to fix you up with a walking cast or boot so you can be somewhat weight bearing with the use of your crutches. Let us know how things go.

You'll be in my prayers.
To get into the house, I have to crawl on my knees with my bum ankle up, and shuffle down next doors grass lawn

Thankfully with the stairs there are rails on both sides, so going up and down by hop is really easy

My left ankle hurts now coz its having to take all the weight...sooo its slow going...very slow going so I can increase its strength whilst not pulling a muscle there or something.

Today is my first day off...and my Mother says I should just watch tv...I plan on unpacking some shopping my parents brought me last night, whilst wheeling myself on my computer chair. I plan on getting the next washing machine on, and drying the wash thats finished in it...again, sitting down.

I have to get into the aviary and feed and water them...thats going to be HUGE effort...I need to do a full body wash without having a shower and getting my cast wet

Then I'm going to read through all eighteen journals and make a note of all the wars I've had with people...and watch TV...then tonight my sister is doing a weekly shop for me...so I shall have to write a list

I've already followed protocol and phoned my absence til thursday to work...and I have to book my taxi for thursdays fracture clinic shortly...thats quite a lot for someone who...frankly...cant move
Old 07-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
I'm sorry about your foot Dave that blows! Make sure that you do keep off of it, no matter what. I hope you heal fast!

In the meantime...try to enjoy that time off of work. Sometimes I wouldn't mind throwing myself down a flight of stairs to get off the job for a while paid
Michelle

I was so proud of my 0 Percent Absence rate I was brought up to be sent to work and school even if ill...so I feel....naughty being at home when I know I am contracted to work
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
To get into the house, I have to crawl on my knees with my bum ankle up, and shuffle down next doors grass lawn

Thankfully with the stairs there are rails on both sides, so going up and down by hop is really easy

My left ankle hurts now coz its having to take all the weight...sooo its slow going...very slow going so I can increase its strength whilst not pulling a muscle there or something.

Today is my first day off...and my Mother says I should just watch tv...I plan on unpacking some shopping my parents brought me last night, whilst wheeling myself on my computer chair. I plan on getting the next washing machine on, and drying the wash thats finished in it...again, sitting down.

I have to get into the aviary and feed and water them...thats going to be HUGE effort...I need to do a full body wash without having a shower and getting my cast wet

Then I'm going to read through all eighteen journals and make a note of all the wars I've had with people...and watch TV...then tonight my sister is doing a weekly shop for me...so I shall have to write a list

I've already followed protocol and phoned my absence til thursday to work...and I have to book my taxi for thursdays fracture clinic shortly...thats quite a lot for someone who...frankly...cant move
Hey, whatever it takes, right! It does put a strain on the good leg that's having to do all the work and weight bearing. But, like Michelle mentioned it's important not to put any weight on that injured foot for as long as they tell you; you don't want to be in that cast for a minute longer than you have to! I was so thankful to finally have that cast off and have both my feet back under me and able to walk and be mobile and independent again! It's true what they say, you don't truly appreciate what you have until you lose it, or lose the ability to use it.

You don't have anyone you can ask to take care of the birds for a while?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Stump Rules!

What a goody two shoes Dave. I'm pretty sure you will get over that guilt really fast. Have fun.Take some pain pills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Michelle

I was so proud of my 0 Percent Absence rate I was brought up to be sent to work and school even if ill...so I feel....naughty being at home when I know I am contracted to work

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post

You don't have anyone you can ask to take care of the birds for a while?
Not really
Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
What a goody two shoes Dave. I'm pretty sure you will get over that guilt really fast. Have fun.Take some pain pills!
I know
Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y9yi6RzULk

My Emergency Blog