Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 06-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Default Why won't he fight him?

Why won't Jon Jones fight Gustafsson again? He's calling out Cormier, instead of taking on the best challenger. Maybe I should ask Matt about this sometime... but do UFC Champions get to say "NO" to certain matches that the UFC tries to set up?

Call me Old School, but why would any UFC fighter (unless they are injured), have the right to refuse a fight that the UFC wants to create?

I guess I'm just disappointed that he doesn't want the rematch a fight that most of us enjoyed watching the first time. If he gets beat, then he'll have Part III and both fighters will have made a bundle of money....
Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Student of the Sport

There is a lot of conflicting things about this. A week or so ago, Dana said that they were in contract renegotiations with Jones and then yesterday he said that wasn't the case and that Jones wants Cormier. So who knows what is actually true.

While I don't agree, the champ has a lot of power in who he fights, especially someone like Jones. It used to take a lot to get Anderson to fight certain opponents and this is no different. We could see this with Johny also as he may not want to fight Robbie for his first defense.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHLERZ5 View Post
Why won't Jon Jones fight Gustafsson again? He's calling out Cormier, instead of taking on the best challenger. Maybe I should ask Matt about this sometime... but do UFC Champions get to say "NO" to certain matches that the UFC tries to set up?

Call me Old School, but why would any UFC fighter (unless they are injured), have the right to refuse a fight that the UFC wants to create?

I guess I'm just disappointed that he doesn't want the rematch a fight that most of us enjoyed watching the first time. If he gets beat, then he'll have Part III and both fighters will have made a bundle of money....

People are saying he's scared but who is to know if that is true? Another option is that perhaps he feels he won the fight in a manner that wasn't as close as other people think, so why fight him again so soon? Why not challenge yourself against someone else instead of having to do a fight camp for Gus and then another for the next person in line.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:59 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
People are saying he's scared but who is to know if that is true? Another option is that perhaps he feels he won the fight in a manner that wasn't as close as other people think, so why fight him again so soon? Why not challenge yourself against someone else instead of having to do a fight camp for Gus and then another for the next person in line.
This is what it is really sounding like:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/3/...der-gustafsson

For those that don't want to watch a 16 second video, Jones wants Cormier and says "it is my career, not yours". He states that he beat Gus and wants a new challenge. I am fine either way, but think he is picking the harder fight aside from Cormier having knee issues going into the Hendo fight.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:44 AM

What's in the contract, does he have to fight who the company wants him to or does it say he has a say so in that decision, or isn't that in these contracts. Do the big money makers get more say-so in who they fight? I always got the impression that Brock Lesnar seemed to wield the greater power and was the one dictating to Dana instead of the other way around.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:24 PM

jon jones is just trying to see how far he can stretch his boundaries with dana .. he knows dana hates dealing with him ... so he is trying to flex his muscle ... dana should cut him and show him who's boss ..
Old 06-05-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
This is what it is really sounding like:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/6/3/...der-gustafsson

For those that don't want to watch a 16 second video, Jones wants Cormier and says "it is my career, not yours". He states that he beat Gus and wants a new challenge. I am fine either way, but think he is picking the harder fight aside from Cormier having knee issues going into the Hendo fight.
Ugh! He's so smug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
jon jones is just trying to see how far he can stretch his boundaries with dana .. he knows dana hates dealing with him ... so he is trying to flex his muscle ... dana should cut him and show him who's boss ..
Jones: "It's my career, not yours"

Dana: "Career, what career?"

Last edited by Bonnie; 06-05-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:53 AM

Jones sounds like a whiny little crybaby. Man up. Champs don't do that.

You never saw Matt crying and whining about criticism. He'd laugh it off.

Jones=no class.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Jones sounds like a whiny little crybaby. Man up. Champs don't do that.

You never saw Matt crying and whining about criticism. He'd laugh it off.

Jones=no class.
I think Jones just thinks we are all stupid. He ended up signing to fight Gus and said that the reason he didn't initially is because he was out of the country. Then what was the deal with the little video? He is so wishy-washy and annoying!
Old 06-08-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I think Jones just thinks we are all stupid. He ended up signing to fight Gus and said that the reason he didn't initially is because he was out of the country. Then what was the deal with the little video? He is so wishy-washy and annoying!
I agree.

My comment was about the video, can you imagine Matt, Chuck Liddell, Hendo, Wandy - any of the greats - putting out a video like that?

I was a big fan of JBJ but the shining admiration I had for him has really tarnished in the last year or so.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16