Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 AM

Default Belfort out, Machida IN!

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Announce...+Championship&

Quote:
Las Vegas, Nev. – The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced tonight that former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida will face off against UFC middleweight championChris Weidman in the main event of UFC 173 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, May 24.

In light of today’s unexpected ruling issued by the Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding the ban of therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy, Vitor Belfort, Weidman’s previously announced opponent, will no longer compete at UFC 173. Belfort, who has previously been granted therapeutic use exemptions, recognizes that he needs an extended period of time to become licensed in the state of Nevada.

With the event scheduled to go on sale shortly, Belfort agreed to withdraw from the fight in order to allow the UFC’s promotional efforts to move forward on time.

“With today’s ruling by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, who’s undefeated since dropping to 185 pounds, will fight champion Chris Weidman in the main event of UFC 173 in May,” UFC President Dana White said. “Machida was dominant in his last two fights, beating Gegard Mousasi and knocking out Mark Munoz.

He’s earned this shot at Weidman, who’s coming off two straight wins over the greatest fighter of all time, Anderson Silva. Machida wants nothing more than to avenge the losses of his friend and training partner, and become just the third fighter in UFC history to win titles in two separate weight classes.”
For more information or current fight news, visit www.ufc.com. All bouts live and subject to change.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:37 AM

I think Machida wins this one.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

I'm glad to hear that Vitor's getting off the sauce. I was a huge fan of his & it killed me to see him cheating like that.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Student of the Sport

I am glad Vitor is doing the right thing here and working to get off TRT. He was on it for unfair reasons and I think he is making the right choice.

Weidman/Machida will be interesting. I don't think this will be an exciting match as I don't see either really wanting to engage much. Hoping Machida wins, nothing against Weidman...just like Machida more.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I am glad Vitor is doing the right thing here and working to get off TRT. He was on it for unfair reasons and I think he is making the right choice.

Weidman/Machida will be interesting. I don't think this will be an exciting match as I don't see either really wanting to engage much. Hoping Machida wins, nothing against Weidman...just like Machida more.
I think Weidman will definitely engage. He's never shown any hesitancy to trade. The question is, as it always is, if he'll be able to find Machida. I think he's got a really good chance of landing good shots & then getting some takedowns.

This match-up just got a whole lot more interesting to me.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
I think Weidman will definitely engage. He's never shown any hesitancy to trade. The question is, as it always is, if he'll be able to find Machida. I think he's got a really good chance of landing good shots & then getting some takedowns.

This match-up just got a whole lot more interesting to me.
This isn't a stand and trade fight, Machida has never been that fighter. Everyone knew that pressing Anderson was how you beat him and that is what Weidman did, for the first round. I wouldn't say hesitant is the right word, but round 2 in both fights with Anderson he stayed back and waited for an opportunity to open up. Well, that is exactly how Machida fights all of the time.

I think this fight is more interesting as well, mainly because it could end in a lot of different ways. With Vitor, I think we all could agree that Vitor's only shot is to catch him early. With Machida, this could end early, late, KO, sub, or decision.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
This isn't a stand and trade fight, Machida has never been that fighter. Everyone knew that pressing Anderson was how you beat him and that is what Weidman did, for the first round. I wouldn't say hesitant is the right word, but round 2 in both fights with Anderson he stayed back and waited for an opportunity to open up. Well, that is exactly how Machida fights all of the time.
Exactly. And in which round was it that Weidman knocked him out?

I know Machida's not a "stand & trade" guy. What I'm saying is that Weidman's a) not afraid to pursue & engage, and b) Weidman's not shown signs of being dumb enough to over-extend & get caught. Think the Machida/Shogun I & II.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 PM

should be a good fight .. i was actually looking forward to the belfort fight ... i thought weidman took it, trt or not ... i think weidman also takes this fight .. machida was in his element his last fight with a guy like mousasi .. weidman won't give him the space ... should be fun ...
Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Hughes fanboy

Vitor begins his losing skid.........now.

Weidmann takes Machida by UD. He'll get in tight enough to land enough signifcant strikes and also get a few TD's. Machida will dance away, counter, and dance some more, but his face will pay the price for it.

Please consider England in your prayers!

http://www.intercessuk.org/iuk3/
Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
Exactly. And in which round was it that Weidman knocked him out?

I know Machida's not a "stand & trade" guy. What I'm saying is that Weidman's a) not afraid to pursue & engage, and b) Weidman's not shown signs of being dumb enough to over-extend & get caught. Think the Machida/Shogun I & II.
We obviously see things differently, which is cool.

And to counter your "And in which round was it that Weidman knocked him out?"...who won the first Machida/Shogun fight?