Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 AM
Stump Rules!

That's what I'm thinking. I can't even get my head wrapped around WHY anyone would pray to Mary...say 10 Hail Mary's...seriously..what's a "Hail Mary" anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Praying to the Virgin Mary and/or the Saints is nothing short of idolatry and it disqualifies Roman Catholicism from being considered a Christian Denomination. Anyone who believes that praying to false gods is somehow compatible with Christianity is likely not a true Christian.

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 02-11-2014, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
what's a "Hail Mary" anyway?
It's a chant to a demonic entity.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 AM
Stump Rules!

Creepy

Quote:
It's a chant to a demonic entity.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:51 PM

catholics believe the Pope is God on earth, or at least His voice, so they obey him as God, they think he is the heir to the apostle peter Christians believe we have the Holy Spirit now to lead us and don't need a man

catholics believe we have to have priests to talk to God, i.e. confession, whereas Christians believe Jesus Christ is literally our priest and High Priest that intercedes on our behalf and we talk with Him

Catholics exalt Mary above Jesus, since she was the mother of Jesus, this is why they "pray" to her

catholics believe in works to be saved, they believe the bread and wine of communion turn to jesus' literal body and blood when they partake of it and that they can do and get away with more as long as they go to a priest and confess it and make penance for it (penance is stuff like saying hail marys)
Old 02-11-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
catholics believe the Pope is God on earth, or at least His voice, so they obey him as God, they think he is the heir to the apostle peter Christians believe we have the Holy Spirit now to lead us and don't need a man

catholics believe we have to have priests to talk to God, i.e. confession, whereas Christians believe Jesus Christ is literally our priest and High Priest that intercedes on our behalf and we talk with Him

Catholics exalt Mary above Jesus, since she was the mother of Jesus, this is why they "pray" to her

catholics believe in works to be saved, they believe the bread and wine of communion turn to jesus' literal body and blood when they partake of it and that they can do and get away with more as long as they go to a priest and confess it and make penance for it (penance is stuff like saying hail marys)
i don't think they exalt Mary above Jesus .. but everything else looks about right ..
Old 02-11-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHughesRocks View Post
What are the BIG SIGNIFICANT differences.
BTW haven't dated him yet. That's why I'm asking now
you have got some pretty good things on here to go on ... i was raised catholic and never thought of it as "praying to Mary" but asking her to pray for us ... but hey, i am just one pseudo-catholic .... but it is called a prayer .. so who know what the intent is ... here is the version i learned growing up ...

hail mary, full of grace, the lord is with the, blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, holy mary, mother of god, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of death ...

fredo also says these as his trick to catching fish in godfather 2 .. great scene in movie history .. he doesn't finish saying it tho ..
Old 02-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
you have got some pretty good things on here to go on ... i was raised catholic and never thought of it as "praying to Mary" but asking her to pray for us ... but hey, i am just one pseudo-catholic .... but it is called a prayer .. so who know what the intent is ... here is the version i learned growing up ...

hail mary, full of grace, the lord is with the, blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, holy mary, mother of god, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of death ...

fredo also says these as his trick to catching fish in godfather 2 .. great scene in movie history .. he doesn't finish saying it tho ..
It doesn't matter if they consider her above Christ, equal to Christ or just slightly below Christ, the fact that they pray to her at all is wrong and completely indefensible from a Scriptural standpoint.

As for asking Mary to pray for us, the Bible is very clear that Jesus Christ is the only mediator between GOD and man. So the idea of praying through another person has no basis in Scripture whatsoever.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Stump Rules!

[Where do Catholics get the information that these are things they "have" to do and why didn't the Christian people get the memo? I've always wondered that.

QUOTE=adamt;204211]catholics believe the Pope is God on earth, or at least His voice, so they obey him as God, they think he is the heir to the apostle peter Christians believe we have the Holy Spirit now to lead us and don't need a man

catholics believe in works to be saved, they believe the bread and wine of communion turn to jesus' literal body and blood when they partake of it and that they can do and get away with more as long as they go to a priest and confess it and make penance for it (penance is stuff like saying hail marys)[/QUOTE]

Old 02-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Stump Rules!

It starts off with "Hail Mary", that throws me...she isn't a Redskin But why bother with that prayer when you can go straight to the source (God). Does it say in the bible somewhere that it's what you need to do our is it a made up thing by Catholics. That's another thing that blows my mind, where do they (Catholics) get the ideas that they "need" to do some of the things that they do when it isn't clear any where in the bible that it's what you need to be doing. That's why I think of Catholic more like "club"...or a gang even

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post

Old 02-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Stump Rules!

This is exactly what I'm talking about Where do they come up with this stuff? It had to have come from somewhere.

Quote:
It doesn't matter if they consider her above Christ, equal to Christ or just slightly below Christ, the fact that they pray to her at all is wrong and completely indefensible from a Scriptural standpoint.

As for asking Mary to pray for us, the Bible is very clear that Jesus Christ is the only mediator between GOD and man. So the idea of praying through another person has no basis in Scripture whatsoever.