Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Now I'm even more convinced that you don't know what you are talking about.

I started using computers with a PC in 1999 and never touched a Macintosh until starting college in 2002. Now I use both Mac and PC, but do all of my actual work on the Macintosh. The interface is just simpler and more straightforward on the Mac and I find using a PC counterintuitive and annoying.

I also like not having to worry about drivers for peripherals and not having to uninstall programs when I want to delete them (you just put them in the trash and their gone). Oh yeah, and the virus-free thing is nice too.
I started using computers in 93/94, and worked on the Apple IIe and early Macintosh systems in middle and high school, and also owned systems at home with Dos and Windows 3.1. I'm old school.

The interface is dumbed down. So, YES, it may be easier to use in some ways, but it's still not what MOST people are used to. That is the idea of being user friendly. Last time I checked Apple had about 3% of the market in the USA, so it makes sense that more people are used to the Windows environment.

Saying that Macs are virus free and don't need drivers is an outright lie if there are any in this thread.

Mac OSX is actually a lot less secure than Windows Vista, but in the scope of how many people are actually using Mac, it makes sense that you see A LOT more threats attacking PC's.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
I started using computers in 93/94, and worked on the Apple IIe and early Macintosh systems in middle and high school, and also owned systems at home with Dos and Windows 3.1. I'm old school.

The interface is dumbed down. So, YES, it may be easier to use in some ways, but it's still not what MOST people are used to. That is the idea of being user friendly. Last time I checked Apple had about 3% of the market in the USA, so it makes sense that more people are used to the Windows environment.
User friendly in the sense that someone who has never used a computer will be able to learn the interface on a Macintosh much easier.

Quote:
Saying that Macs are virus free and don't need drivers is an outright lie if there are any in this thread.

Mac OSX is actually a lot less secure than Windows Vista, but in the scope of how many people are actually using Mac, it makes sense that you see A LOT more threats attacking PC's.
Again, I've been using Macintosh's for 7 years now and you're words just don't line up with my experiences at all.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 AM
bradwright

one of my brothers writes software for a vast range of applications and he tells me while he actually likes Macs he does most of his work on a PC,he says its only because the majority of his clients use PCs and when he has to do any work on them from a remote location its just easier if they are compatible,
he also says the only reason Macs are virus free is because there are so few of them compared to PCs that people writing viruses couldn't be bothered to go after them,
he said if they did decide to target them, in his opinion,it would be like dip netting fish in a barrel,PCs are just more secure because they had to adapt over time from constantly being under attack.
but in the end he did say he prefers Macs.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
User friendly in the sense that someone who has never used a computer will be able to learn the interface on a Macintosh much easier.

Again, I've been using Macintosh's for 7 years now and you're words just don't line up with my experiences at all.

I actually do not hate Macs, not at all. But the truth is that they are not "better" than Windows machines. They have some great capabilities when it comes to high-end multimedia programs, but Macs also have their drawbacks. I understand that the interface is easy to use, but Windows is easy to use also, and Windows is capable of a lot more than Mac OSX.

The bottom line is simple, there are MORE people using Windows. If Apple had the majority of people using Mac's, the roles would be flip flopped and you would be seeing viruses and worms infecting Macs all the time. It's actually a stupid argument. I like both machines, but my gripe with Macs is really the price and the fact that Apple is suckering people into thinking they are getting a better product for a ridiculous amount of money.

You may have not ever had a single problem with your Mac, and that is totally awesome, but people DO have problems. Just like people have problems with their PC's. I am willing to bet that if I owned a Mac, I would never have a problem with it, at least not one I could not fix, but that is still not gonna get $3000 out of my pocket for a machine I could essentially build for MUCH less by using Windows or Linux.

The only reason I could see myself buying a Mac would be to use programs like Logic or Mac's version of Pro Tools, but for the work I do I get the same results I would using Windows based programs like FL Studio, Cubase, and Adobe Audition. They are just not worth the extra money IMO.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I actually do not hate Macs, not at all. But the truth is that they are not "better" than Windows machines. They have some great capabilities when it comes to high-end multimedia programs, but Macs also have their drawbacks. I understand that the interface is easy to use, but Windows is easy to use also, and Windows is capable of a lot more than Mac OSX.

The bottom line is simple, there are MORE people using Windows. If Apple had the majority of people using Mac's, the roles would be flip flopped and you would be seeing viruses and worms infecting Macs all the time. It's actually a stupid argument. I like both machines, but my gripe with Macs is really the price and the fact that Apple is suckering people into thinking they are getting a better product for a ridiculous amount of money.

You may have not ever had a single problem with your Mac, and that is totally awesome, but people DO have problems. Just like people have problems with their PC's. I am willing to bet that if I owned a Mac, I would never have a problem with it, at least not one I could not fix, but that is still not gonna get $3000 out of my pocket for a machine I could essentially build for MUCH less by using Windows or Linux.

The only reason I could see myself buying a Mac would be to use programs like Logic or Mac's version of Pro Tools, but for the work I do I get the same results I would using Windows based programs like FL Studio, Cubase, and Adobe Audition. They are just not worth the extra money IMO.
I don't see where you're getting the $3000 number from. I paid $1300 for my iMac 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it at all. I also helped run two Mac Labs at my college and was responsible for the maintenance and updates on over 30 Macintosh G4s and G5s. During the 3 years that I was there, we only had to send one Mac G5 back to Apple to be replaced. Some of the older G4s ran into problems when they just didn't have enough memory to run programs like Maya or Final Cut Pro. However, during my time there, we almost never had computers go down at all. They were amazingly reliable.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:42 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
I don't see where you're getting the $3000 number from. I paid $1300 for my iMac 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it at all. I also helped run two Mac Labs at my college and was responsible for the maintenance and updates on over 30 Macintosh G4s and G5s. During the 3 years that I was there, we only had to send one Mac G5 back to Apple to be replaced. Some of the older G4s ran into problems when they just didn't have enough memory to run programs like Maya or Final Cut Pro. However, during my time there, we almost never had computers go down at all. They were amazingly reliable.
A decent Mac desktop or laptop is running over 2 thousand dollars, and some are over 3 thousand. Sure you can get a macbook for like a grand, but it's got a 2gHz Intel processor. That ain't much nowadays. Going back to the point I already made, I can build a much stronger computer for that kind of money, but you can't build a Mac.

I never said Mac's were BAD computers, just that they are not immune to all problems or viruses. I also don't see the point in paying extra money for Apple's name, when essentially the machine they are offering is not nearly as strong as a PC for the same price.

I have had multiple machines from HP and Compaq and I have found them to all to be reliable. The computers I have built have all been great, and my newest laptop is a Toshiba that has been awesome for me for over a year and half, and I beat the crap out of my computers. The only time I ever had a computer that just had multiple problems was an EMachine with Windows ME, and I still never had to send it back, I fixed it myself.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
A decent Mac desktop or laptop is running over 2 thousand dollars, and some are over 3 thousand. Sure you can get a macbook for like a grand, but it's got a 2gHz Intel processor. That ain't much nowadays. Going back to the point I already made, I can build a much stronger computer for that kind of money, but you can't build a Mac.

I never said Mac's were BAD computers, just that they are not immune to all problems or viruses. I also don't see the point in paying extra money for Apple's name, when essentially the machine they are offering is not nearly as strong as a PC for the same price.

I have had multiple machines from HP and Compaq and I have found them to all to be reliable. The computers I have built have all been great, and my newest laptop is a Toshiba that has been awesome for me for over a year and half, and I beat the crap out of my computers. The only time I ever had a computer that just had multiple problems was an EMachine with Windows ME, and I still never had to send it back, I fixed it myself.
Well, I'm not a computer hardware guy. So building my own system is out of the question. I did have a friend of mine build a computer for me once and I'll never make that mistake again. I've learned that just because someone says they can build a good computer for a fraction of the price doesn't mean it's true.

Plus, Mac has the most stable operating system out there, so I'll gladly pay a little more for reliability. When Microsoft ditches Vista, then I'll consider a PC again.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Well, I'm not a computer hardware guy. So building my own system is out of the question. I did have a friend of mine build a computer for me once and I'll never make that mistake again. I've learned that just because someone says they can build a good computer for a fraction of the price doesn't mean it's true.

Plus, Mac has the most stable operating system out there, so I'll gladly pay a little more for reliability. When Microsoft ditches Vista, then I'll consider a PC again.
Even if you don't build it yourself, you can get a lot more machine for your money when you buy a PC as opposed to a Mac. Also, my other point is that even if you wanted to, you cannot build a Mac because Apple makes it next to impossible. You may have had a bad experience, but there is no argument that it is cheaper and better to build a PC yourself if you have the means to do it.

Saying Mac has the most stable OS is simply a matter of opinion. Vista has been great for me. Have you actually used Vista? Or have you solely relied on reviews from people who upgraded and probably did not know what they were doing? I am always fixing problems for people, friends, family, whatever, and I find that most problems people have is because of things THEY have done, it's not always Windows.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Even if you don't build it yourself, you can get a lot more machine for your money when you buy a PC as opposed to a Mac. Also, my other point is that even if you wanted to, you cannot build a Mac because Apple makes it next to impossible. You may have had a bad experience, but there is no argument that it is cheaper and better to build a PC yourself if you have the means to do it.

Saying Mac has the most stable OS is simply a matter of opinion. Vista has been great for me. Have you actually used Vista? Or have you solely relied on reviews from people who upgraded and probably did not know what they were doing? I am always fixing problems for people, friends, family, whatever, and I find that most problems people have is because of things THEY have done, it's not always Windows.
I helped Mark buy a new laptop and we started out with the $500 Dell computer with 1 GB of RAM and Vista pre-installed. It was useless and slow as molasses. We had to return the machine and exchange it for an $850 2 GB machine.

I saw all that I needed to see. For me a computer is a tool and if Microsoft makes a faulty tool, then I have no use for them. I'd rather pay a little extra for a machine that I KNOW will work and do what I need it to do.

I've owned 4 Windows based PCs and only one, so far, has run smoothly and reliably (the Sony Vaio with XP installed). I have owned 2 Macs and worked on probably 8 or 9 others over the course of the 3 years I was in college and have only had one machine that had any kind of problem at all (one faulty USB port). So, I'm not saying that Macs are more reliable because I heard it on a TV ad. I'm saying it because it's the truth based on ten years of experience working with these computers.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Well, as I stated previously, I would never buy Dell either, but that is besides the point. Running Vista on 1GB of Ram is asking for troubles, just like running anything with the minimum requirements. There is also usually pre-installed crap from the manufacturer that bogs stuff down. But that is not Microsoft's fault.

I don't have anything against Mac's,I think they are cute. If I had the extra money lying around, I would probably buy one just for Logic Pro. Heck, for anybody who is doing high end pre-press design work or photography, Mac's are awesome.

Still, in my opinion, Windows gives you way more bang for your buck. It's faster, and overall more accessible.