Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-01-2009, 02:20 AM
Black Mamba
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I wouldn't say that's an outright lie Nate. Initially, from someone who only uses Macs at school (both college and high school) to using a PC at home 99.9% of the time, it does take some time to get used to a Mac. And a course having the Mac pocket, but that's a different story. If my baby wasn't on sale for $1700 (not including tax, adding on Office, and protection plan), then I couldn't have afford it. But it does pay off, it's nice to know I don't have to worry about viruses when I use it (and when I get internet).

The more you use a Mac the easier it becomes. I fell in love with mine in 2 days and know the basics on it, but the dang internet connection is driving me nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-01-2009, 02:23 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mamba
I wouldn't say that's an outright lie Nate. Initially, from someone who only uses Macs at school (both college and high school) to using a PC at home 99.9% of the time, it does take some time to get used to a Mac. And a course having the Mac pocket, but that's a different story. If my baby wasn't on sale for $1700 (not including tax, adding on Office, and protection plan), then I couldn't have afford it. But it does pay off, it's nice to know I don't have to worry about viruses when I use it (and when I get internet).

The more you use a Mac the easier it becomes. I fell in love with mine in 2 days and know the basics on it, but the dang internet connection is driving me nuts.
Well, for someone who is used to the counter-intuitive Windows interface, it is going to take some time to get used to a Mac. But to say that a Mac is not user friendly is such an ignorant statement that it is laughable.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Black Mamba
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
Well, for someone who is used to the counter-intuitive Windows interface, it is going to take some time to get used to a Mac. But to say that a Mac is not user friendly is such an ignorant statement that it is laughable.
That is true. And the new Mac book and Mac book Pro are even better now that the company has gotten the kinks out from their previous model.

I also have to say the Apple company has some of the best customer service that I've ever been exposed to. I waited on the phone less than 3 minutes to talk to someone from the United States. I have a friend who owns a Dell, and she was put on the phone with someone from overseas.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-01-2009, 02:42 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
True.



It's a "you get what you pay for" scenario. A Macintosh is overpriced in comparison to a PC in the same way that a Mercedes-Benz is overpriced in comparison to a Ford Fiesta.



Now this is either just an outright lie or you've never actually used a Mac before. Either way, the complete opposite is true.

Of course, if you are just used to doing everything the hard way, like Windows forces you to do, and you've somehow convinced yourself that that is the "right way" to use a computer; then I could see how you'd be reluctant to adapt to a Macintosh and it would appear to be more difficult. But saying that PCs are more user-friendly is just not true by any stretch of the imagination.
It's not an outright lie, and I could just as easily say that you have convinced yourself that Macintosh is somehow the Holy Grail of computers simply because of their price. Mac users need to tell themselves that to justify spending $3,000 on a machine.

I have used Macs plenty. Not only in Audio College, but in a lot of professional and home studios I have worked in. They ARE great computers, but they disgustingly overpriced in my opinion. For the price of a typical new mac, I could build a much better PC. Windows can also do a LOT more than Mac OS, simply because more people use Windows. Mac OSX is also limited to ONLY Apple computers, and that is BULLCRAP.

Macs are not hard to use or figure out, but most new users are more familiar with navigating through the Windows environment , thus making the little nuances in using Macs more annoying and stupid. So, in my opinion, while it may be "dumbed down", it's not as user friendly IMO.

The first 3 seconds of this video pretty much sums it up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jJh_Rjsea8
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-01-2009, 04:16 AM
mikthehick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If Macs are so user 'unfriendly', then why was I able to fully use mine within an hour???

Another great part is customer service that are there to help you. AND they speak english, or spanish if you prefer that.

I've probably logged on about 50 total hours with DELL support with my 2002 Dimension Desktop. They would tell me the same problem after a 3 hour session, after I told them that I thought it was the problem at the beginning of the conversation So after deciding not to waste another hour of my life on hold, I bought a refurbished C drive and installed it myself. The Dimension has worked like a champ in the 3 years since.

And while I did invest in this lil Apple Mac book for school, it's been awesome. Couldn't ask more from a little machine, other than internet, watching a movie, or writing a paper. Besides, I've got an XBOX and a Nintendo DS for gaming
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

The dorms at the University of Missouri had free Mac computers for the students. I hated them.

However, that was back in 1999. One of my best friends uses one with the Virtual PC and he swears he will never purchase a PC again.

Anyways, I'm happy with my Dell Inspiron laptop
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Mac
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
it is going to take some time to get used to a Mac.

Agreed, I may be a little tough to figure out at first.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR
But to say that a Mac is not user friendly is such an ignorant statement that it is laughable.

Thanks for sticking up for me Buddy.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 AM
J.B.'s Avatar
J.B. J.B. is offline
WAR CARDINALS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Apache Juntion, AZ
Posts: 8,462
Default

Quote:
If Macs are so user 'unfriendly', then why was I able to fully use mine within an hour???

Another great part is customer service that are there to help you. AND they speak english, or spanish if you prefer that.

I've probably logged on about 50 total hours with DELL support with my 2002 Dimension Desktop. They would tell me the same problem after a 3 hour session, after I told them that I thought it was the problem at the beginning of the conversation So after deciding not to waste another hour of my life on hold, I bought a refurbished C drive and installed it myself. The Dimension has worked like a champ in the 3 years since.

And while I did invest in this lil Apple Mac book for school, it's been awesome. Couldn't ask more from a little machine, other than internet, watching a movie, or writing a paper. Besides, I've got an XBOX and a Nintendo DS for gaming
It's not that they are "unfriendly", I just said they are not as user friendly as Windows in my opinion. I have been able to fully use every Windows based PC I have ever bought within an hour also. How about the fact that I can't use Mac OSX on a computer I build? That's not too user friendly for advanced users. That is Apple forcing me to pay for their shiny overpriced machine if I decide I want to upgrade.

People have lots of problems with macs too, and for the price people are paying for them they should have the best customer service. I can only think of a couple times I have ever called customer service for any of my machines, and only once that I ever called Microsoft directly. Microsoft was actually very helpful. I never liked Dell computers either, and I have heard horror stories about their customer service, so I can believe that.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 AM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Rattlesnake
It's not an outright lie, and I could just as easily say that you have convinced yourself that Macintosh is somehow the Holy Grail of computers simply because of their price. Mac users need to tell themselves that to justify spending $3,000 on a machine.

I have used Macs plenty. Not only in Audio College, but in a lot of professional and home studios I have worked in. They ARE great computers, but they disgustingly overpriced in my opinion. For the price of a typical new mac, I could build a much better PC. Windows can also do a LOT more than Mac OS, simply because more people use Windows. Mac OSX is also limited to ONLY Apple computers, and that is BULLCRAP.

Macs are not hard to use or figure out, but most new users are more familiar with navigating through the Windows environment , thus making the little nuances in using Macs more annoying and stupid. So, in my opinion, while it may be "dumbed down", it's not as user friendly IMO.

The first 3 seconds of this video pretty much sums it up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jJh_Rjsea8
Now I'm even more convinced that you don't know what you are talking about.

I started using computers with a PC in 1999 and never touched a Macintosh until starting college in 2002. Now I use both Mac and PC, but do all of my actual work on the Macintosh. The interface is just simpler and more straightforward on the Mac and I find using a PC counterintuitive and annoying.

I also like not having to worry about drivers for peripherals and not having to uninstall programs when I want to delete them (you just put them in the trash and their gone). Oh yeah, and the virus-free thing is nice too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-01-2009, 04:44 AM
rockdawg21's Avatar
rockdawg21 rockdawg21 is offline
I'm kind of a big deal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,584
Default

I've been extremely pleased with Dell's Customer Service. One time, I spilt a beer in my machine. They sent DHL and I had it back in 2 days. Another time, I spilt an iced tea in it, had it back in 2 days. Another time, the screen went completely black, they had a person come on-site, replace the keyboard and the screen.

However, I was able to get those services because I paid for Accidental Damage & Protection.

One time though, with this new PC, I was upset because I wanted to get a recovery disc that had XP instead of Vista, but they said I was past 90 days and they couldn't do that. I didn't fight it, but was kind of upset because it was my 2nd computer in 3 years and together, they were about $5000.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.