Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-31-2009, 11:00 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike
I like cat burglaring.

Now I just don't know what to do with all these cats.
Kick, Snare, Crash...
Old 04-01-2009, 01:53 AM
County Mike

Get your pro fighters license and make some money fighting in local shows.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 AM
que

i don't have any advice on starting a small business except that it is an extremely hard time to start a small business right now. good luck
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
I'd watch Blow for inspiration.
LOL, yeah, either that or American Gangster.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 AM
Mac

Come up with something simple , that wont cost you a bunch of overhead .

Like say Deck Cleaning . You need a pressure washer , some diluted bleach in a pump up sprayer and a stiff bristled broom. Doesnt take really any skill , Spray the deck with the bleach , scrub it with the brook to knock the mold off and pressure wash it . Simple and pays and you dont have much invested.

Interior painting is another one. Paint that generally the home owner buys up front , your expense is masking tape , drop cloths, brushes rollers and your time .

Car detailing is a big one around here for folks lookin for some extra cash . If you have a heated garage that is a big plus , if not find a dealership willing to let you set up shop in one of thier bays and they get a cut from each car. You just buy all the waxes , cleaners , shamois , etc , whatever it takes to make a car all nice , perty and smellin good. Dont limit yourself to cars and trucks , 4 wheelers, dirt bikes , motor cycles etc
Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Chuck

There is a lot of money in food and beverage...

something as simple as a hot dog cart you take to local shows and festivals can earn you some easy money. Down here we have folks with hot dog and BBQ carts that will set up on Friday and Saturday nights outside of the more popular bars and night clubs... them make ton's of $$$...

starting a small business for extra $$ is an option... but have you considered just getting a part time job?

You wouldn't have to worry about taxes, up front expenses etc...
Old 04-01-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm kind of a big deal

I sell library books for a living and there's a guy who travels to some of our conventions. He sells simple cheap screen-printed t-shirts. In 1 day, I saw him make nearly 1000 t-shirts and at $15 a pop, that's a heck of a nice payday! He said that was one of the best sale days he's ever had, but he usually makes $1000 every 3 days at a show like that (after he pays his bills). Good money.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 AM
bradwright

try not to laugh,i'm not joking here,
buy yourself a good hot dog cart and then make a deal with one of the busier
bars in your area that would allow you to set up outside the main entrance on Friday and Saturday nights so you can sell to anybody leaving,

after people have a few drinks they are always looking for some good food,
a friend of mine does this and he said he paid for his $3500 cart in a little over a month just working on the weekend,
Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 AM
bradwright

Chuck and i must have posted at almost the same time,
what Chuck said should work.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:17 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Working for yourself is great, but you need to have something different to offer to ultimately be successful, no matter what business you are in. If what you are offering is a type of service, you need to find a way to market yourself that sets you apart from everybody else around you.

Like Mac said, start off with something that has a low overhead cost in the beginning. I started working as a DJ part time at bars, parties, and weddings between playing gigs with my band and doing other audio work. Before I knew it, I was getting booked all the time and making enough money to pay all my bills. Then I had to get licensed and start filing taxes.