Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Crisco

Default Advice...

I'm looking to start a small business... Sort of like a side income...

It's a lot harder then it sounds and I'm having trouble coming up with something.

Anyone have a small business that could offer some advice?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Twinsmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco
I'm looking to start a small business... Sort of like a side income...

It's a lot harder then it sounds and I'm having trouble coming up with something.

Anyone have a small business that could offer some advice?

I have a small business. I do it fulltime not as a side income. Depending on what you need I can try and help you any way I can. Do you know what kind of business you are wanting to do? There are a few major concerns when doing a business. First off is the financial strains. If it is only side work and not your primary income it may not be much of a concern. Second is the amount of time that is put into a business to make it successful. You have to work hard and be a hussler the first couple of years until it is built up and then you can relax. I have 2 small children and I can't dedicate as much time as I should which seems like it holds me back. Depending on what kind of business it is will say what kind of time you need to put in. Customers want things done when they want it not when you have time to get to it.

It is hard work but very rewarding. I look up to anyone that is brave enough to take the 1st step.

PM me and I will try to help anyway I can.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Moose

What kind of business? You could mean anything from insurance sales to selling weed.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Crisco

Yea... That is probably my main issue. I have not narrowed down what kind of business I'm looking to get into yet lol. I guess I was just looking for ideas more then anything.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
bradwright

do you live in a city or the country?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Moose

Quote:
Yea... That is probably my main issue. I have not narrowed down what kind of business I'm looking to get into yet lol. I guess I was just looking for ideas more then anything.
I'd watch Blow for inspiration.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Crisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
do you live in a city or the country?
City area.

Bergen County NJ one of the richest in the country(If only I had the money that some of these folks have haha)
Old 03-31-2009, 09:06 PM
bradwright

Quote:
City area.

Bergen County NJ one of the richest in the country(If only I had the money that some of these folks have haha)
well,you play your cards right and you will have their money,

we just have to think this over a bit,
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 PM
County Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright
well,you play your cards right and you will have their money,

we just have to think this over a bit,
I like cat burglaring.

Now I just don't know what to do with all these cats.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Well, it sounds like the first thing you need is an idea. What skills do you have and what kind of things do you LIKE to do?

If you're going to run a small business, then you want it to fit a few criteria:
1. it should tie into something that you already do well (for instance, do you have artistic, musical, or creative skills of any kind?)
2. it should be something that you enjoy doing/creating
3. it should fill a real need, in other words, there should be a pre-existing demand for it

One big mistake to avoid is to not just follow the money. If you start doing something that you hate, just because it promises a lot of money, then you're going to burn out really quick. It should idealy be something that you would gladly do for free, just because you enjoy it so much.

Of course, we can't always make a living doing what we love, but it's a good place to start if you're short on ideas.