Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-17-2013, 01:54 PM

after rewatching the fight I realized I was wrong when I said GSP won the fight.
I should have said GSP won the fight twice....after all the judges gave him the win
on points and Hendricks tapped in the first for the sub win.
so not only should they get paid for fight of the night GSP should get the money for sub of the night.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW View Post
after rewatching the fight I realized I was wrong when I said GSP won the fight.
I should have said GSP won the fight twice....after all the judges gave him the win
so not only should they get paid for fight of the night GSP should get the money for sub of the night.
Seriously....that "sub" was the biggest joke going around the internet today. Quit trolling.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymcoach97 View Post
The first round was really a toss-up after re-watching it. GSP controlled a lot of it, got a takedown, went for guillotine and I think he was trying to sneak an anaconda/d'arce choke in, etc. But, Hendricks landed some hard elbows while GSP was going for a takedown and I think Hendricks caught GSP with a solid knee as well. So, Hendricks landed a few harder shots, but overall I believe that GSP controlled more of the round.

I gave GSP rounds 3 and 5 and Hendricks rounds 2 and 4. I really cannot score round 1. Initially, I gave it to Hendricks, but after re-watching it is hard for me to decide.

But, "you have to beat the champ" and while I do think that Hendricks probably deserved that fight, I can see how a couple of the judges could've gone the other way based on the first round. Hendricks had his moments - he should've went for broke and tried to put GSP away. GSP was no real threat to knock him out because he really does not have one-punch knockout power. He pretty much finishes guys by TKO ground-and-pound or if he catches someone with a kick.

Hendricks' corner should have told him to be more aggressive in the 5th to make sure that he took that round unquestionably. Can't remember if they showed the corner between the 4th and 5th. But, that definitely should have been said. Never assume anything - especially with MMA judges. Plus, history repeats itself; I can only recall Penn v. Edgar 1 in which the challenger got the decision over the past 5 or so years in a close fight.
I agree it comes down to round one and think most people will think gsp won afterthey rewatch it ... most people gave Hendricks the first round because they fully expected gsp to own the round like he usually does ... could call by the judges
Old 11-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
I agree it comes down to round one and think most people will think gsp won afterthey rewatch it ... most people gave Hendricks the first round because they fully expected gsp to own the round like he usually does ... could call by the judges
You have to remember that re-watching a round is not a luxury that judges have. Most people gave Johny round one because he did more damage in the clinch and landed more strikes. GSP got a takedown and sub attempt and both Johny was out of relatively quickly.

It was a close round and it comes down to how the judges saw it. But you make it sound like it is clear as day that GSP won it. I have to disagree with you.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Student of the Sport

And here Matt's reaction:

Quote:
Matt Hughes ‏@matthughes9x
With the decision last night I would have been less surprised if they gave Johny EVERY round. Will go down as worst decision in UFC history.
Must just be a hater too...huh.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
You have to remember that re-watching a round is not a luxury that judges have. Most people gave Johny round one because he did more damage in the clinch and landed more strikes. GSP got a takedown and sub attempt and both Johny was out of relatively quickly.

It was a close round and it comes down to how the judges saw it. But you make it sound like it is clear as day that GSP won it. I have to disagree with you.
I know ... the judges are watching the fight ..we are watching the fight and listening to the commentary ... imo, rounds 2 & 4 was johnny's and 3 & 5 was gsp's ... the first was close and I gave it to gsp
Old 11-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
I know ... the judges are watching the fight ..we are watching the fight and listening to the commentary ... imo, rounds 2 & 4 was johnny's and 3 & 5 was gsp's ... the first was close and I gave it to gsp
Thank you for clarifying, because I kept reading your responses as it was clear that GSP won round 1. But you agree it was close and that is how I would hope everyone would see it.

Let me ask you this...out of curiosity. Which fight did you think was closer GSP/Hendricks or Rory/Robbie? I really thought that Robbie was going to lose when it went to a split decision.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Seriously....that "sub" was the biggest joke going around the internet today. Quit trolling.
I have to admit I saw that and immediately thought, "Did he just tap?" , but then they both got back up and continued fighting, and when Joe Rogan didn't say anything, I thought, guess not. But I did wonder about it at the time I saw it. I forgot about it until I saw Brad's post. No one brought it up in our post-fight discussion on here last night...did anyone else happen to see that at the time?

Last edited by Bonnie; 11-17-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
haters will hate
Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
haters will hate
Kinda odd with your posts....first you never gave a winner, then act like you called it and GSP won twice. Your first post was about how close round 1 was and wanting Hendricks to accept the loss. Now you act like GSP easily won the fight.

Sorry if I am wrong, but your actions seem like you are just trying to stir the pot as you can obviously tell that some of us feel strongly that Hendricks won and some feel strongly that GSP won.