Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Sorry, Wavetar, I went back and corrected my post after reading your first post--I realized I put the wrong round. I'm so mad right now, I can't think straight! I do think GSP won round 3, not 2, so we're good on that, but how do you have him winning round 5? I totally give rounds 1, 2, 4 & 5 to Johny. And so what if GSP had an early takedown in round 1, Johny was all over him in 1 & 2 with hard strikes and knees, really out-muscling GSP, I thought.

I'll definitely go back and re-watch the fight. I know sometimes I'll catch things I missed the first time around. All of y'all are saying GSP won 5 too so I really need to go back and look at it again.
I thought he won round 5 too...2 takedowns, even though he didn't do anything with them and he was very active.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
it was a close fight .. not surprised the gsp haters had him losing and the huggers had him winning ... that first round coulda gone with way .. rewatching right now
I don't hate GSP. Do you also think MMAfighting hates GSP? They had Johny winning 3 rounds as well.

As unbiased as I am possibly trying to be, I saw Hendricks clearly winning 3 rounds.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
I don't hate GSP. Do you also think MMAfighting hates GSP? They had Johny winning 3 rounds as well.

As unbiased as I am possibly trying to be, I saw Hendricks clearly winning 3 rounds.
I just watched and gsp won rounds 1,3,5 ...

dana is pissed because he thinks Hendricks won and pissed that gsp is taking time off ..

was a close fight, but gsp won ... its not like Hendricks won 4 rounds .. he won three and one of them were close ..
Old 11-17-2013, 06:19 AM

gsp, more significant strikes landed, more takedowns and more sub attempts ... sure johnny did more damage, but gsp gets cut and bruised so easily
Old 11-17-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I thought he won round 5 too...2 takedowns, even though he didn't do anything with them and he was very active.
I'm watching the UFC Post Fight Show and Ariel Helwani is saying that there is a great website, "mmadecisions.com", they polled 16 members of the mma media, all 16 members had it 48-47 for Johny Hendricks, and Ariel also had it 48-47 for Johny Hendricks. Ariel says, "Firas Zahabi, going into the 4th, told George, "You're down 2 rounds to 1." George's corner agrees with the mma media." Ariel also said judges Sal D'Amato and Tony Weeks scored Rounds 1, 3 & 5 for GSP, but the third judge, Glen Trowbridge, gave the 1st round to Johny Hendricks.

Last edited by Bonnie; 11-17-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
I just watched and gsp won rounds 1,3,5 ...

dana is pissed because he thinks Hendricks won and pissed that gsp is taking time off ..
was a close fight, but gsp won ... its not like Hendricks won 4 rounds .. he won three and one of them were close ..
I'm just watching it now.

Dana is saying Johny Hendricks won, and he's giving GSP Round 3, that's it! When Ariel asks, "Why do you think they scored it for GSP?", Dana is saying, "Nevada is a very scary place...this is a scary place. This is the worst commission on the planet, the worst commission on the planet. I am afraid to bring fights to Las Vegas. I never thought I'd say that; this is the city I live in, the city I love. This is the worst commission on the planet."

Dana saying, "George knew he lost, his corner knew he lost; Hendricks knew he won, his corner knew they won. Everybody knew...and the commission, these guys are just despicably horrible."

Dana ending with "George needs to fight Johny Hendricks again."

Wow, glad I caught the post-fight show.

Last edited by Bonnie; 11-17-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM

The first round was really a toss-up after re-watching it. GSP controlled a lot of it, got a takedown, went for guillotine and I think he was trying to sneak an anaconda/d'arce choke in, etc. But, Hendricks landed some hard elbows while GSP was going for a takedown and I think Hendricks caught GSP with a solid knee as well. So, Hendricks landed a few harder shots, but overall I believe that GSP controlled more of the round.

I gave GSP rounds 3 and 5 and Hendricks rounds 2 and 4. I really cannot score round 1. Initially, I gave it to Hendricks, but after re-watching it is hard for me to decide.

But, "you have to beat the champ" and while I do think that Hendricks probably deserved that fight, I can see how a couple of the judges could've gone the other way based on the first round. Hendricks had his moments - he should've went for broke and tried to put GSP away. GSP was no real threat to knock him out because he really does not have one-punch knockout power. He pretty much finishes guys by TKO ground-and-pound or if he catches someone with a kick.

Hendricks' corner should have told him to be more aggressive in the 5th to make sure that he took that round unquestionably. Can't remember if they showed the corner between the 4th and 5th. But, that definitely should have been said. Never assume anything - especially with MMA judges. Plus, history repeats itself; I can only recall Penn v. Edgar 1 in which the challenger got the decision over the past 5 or so years in a close fight.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Ooops! I deleted after I saw I was about to be 2-2. And now it looks like I'm about to be 2-3, dangit!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

If I was GSP...I'd quickly retire with the belt...because he will never get so lucky again....and he knows it
Old 11-17-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Wavetar, I went back and corrected my post after reading your first post--I realized I put the wrong round. I'm so mad right now, I can't think straight! I do think GSP won round 3, not 2, so we're good on that, but how do you have him winning round 5? I totally give rounds 1, 2, 4 & 5 to Johny. And so what if GSP had an early takedown in round 1, Johny was all over him in 1 & 2 with hard strikes and knees, really out-muscling GSP, I thought.

I'll definitely go back and re-watch the fight. I know sometimes I'll catch things I missed the first time around. All of y'all are saying GSP won 5 too so I really need to go back and look at it again.
I figured that must've been the case

Johny faded a bit, and didn't land anything in the 5th. GSP pressured forward the whole time, landed some shots, and got at least one takedown.

I agree he out muscled GSP for much of the fight, which truly makes him a beast! Nobody else has been able to do that, not even Tiago Alves.