Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 PM
LESS TALK MORE ACTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Round 1 - GSP gets take down, attempts choke but they're both quickly back on their feet. Both of them throwing knees, muscling each other. Johny throws some hard knees to GSP's thighs. GSP attempts a takedown, has Johny's right leg, but Johny easily maintains his balance and throws hard punches to GSP's face. GSP backs him up against the fence but Johny gives him some really hard elbows, vicious, to the side of GSP's head causing GSP to let go. Johny now has GSP turned around on fence and lands hard knees to GSP's thighs. Johny gets a takedown (1-1). Elbow to Georges face, more hard knee to his thigh. Hard knee by Johny, nice kick by GSP. Both throwing and missing; high kick by GSP, hard knee to thigh by Hendricks. Goldy saying so far Hendricks the leader in significant strikes landed with a little over 30 seconds left on clock. Kicks by Hendricks. Both throw, miss. Round ends with Johny moving forward being the aggressor.

After watching it again, I still think Johny edged George in this round with more aggression and control, and with more significant strikes, knees, elbows.

Round 2 - Hendricks. I really think Johny could have finished GSP and the fight here when he had George hurt and wobbling early in the round if he had just kept blasting him with some more of those hard shots...not sure why he didn't take more advantage of that.

Round 3 - GSP

Round 4 - Hendricks

Round 5 - Okay, after re-watching this round, I can see how they gave it to George. For me, it was like the 1st round, but in reverse, George came off more as the aggressor and edged Johny.

After re-watching the fight, I've changed my mind about Round 5 and am now giving it to George. I have George winning 3 & 5, but still have Johny winning the fight with rounds 1, 2 & 4.
Yep!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
Thank you for clarifying, because I kept reading your responses as it was clear that GSP won round 1. But you agree it was close and that is how I would hope everyone would see it.

Let me ask you this...out of curiosity. Which fight did you think was closer GSP/Hendricks or Rory/Robbie? I really thought that Robbie was going to lose when it went to a split decision.
i thought robbie won round 1 & 3 .... but for some reason i felt the judges were going to give it to rory ... it was a weird fight for rory .. in the first when he got robbie down, he just sat there and didn't even attempt any offence and it was stood up ... he threw some crazy elbows in one of the other rounds, which i think he could have done to win one of the earlier rounds .. but yeah, robbie won that fight

back to the main event ... i still don't see how people are complaining that this fight was the worst decision ever ... i think people are going based on the fact that they expected GSP to run over Johnny and since he didn't, Johnny should have won ... the people that say Johnny won, most of them are giving GSP rounds 3 & 5 ... that's a close fight ... sure Johnny had him in trouble a few times, but its the 10 point must system and none of those rounds were 10-8 imo ... so the concensus is that the first round was the closest .. whoever gets that round wins .. i think the judges got it right ...
Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
i thought robbie won round 1 & 3 .... but for some reason i felt the judges were going to give it to rory ... it was a weird fight for rory .. in the first when he got robbie down, he just sat there and didn't even attempt any offence and it was stood up ... he threw some crazy elbows in one of the other rounds, which i think he could have done to win one of the earlier rounds .. but yeah, robbie won that fight

back to the main event ... i still don't see how people are complaining that this fight was the worst decision ever ... i think people are going based on the fact that they expected GSP to run over Johnny and since he didn't, Johnny should have won ... the people that say Johnny won, most of them are giving GSP rounds 3 & 5 ... that's a close fight ... sure Johnny had him in trouble a few times, but its the 10 point must system and none of those rounds were 10-8 imo ... so the concensus is that the first round was the closest .. whoever gets that round wins .. i think the judges got it right ...
I thought Robbie won also, but thought round 1 could be interesting to see how it was scored. When it went to a split decision I got worried.

Round 1 in the main event is the questionable round, we can all agree on that. The way it was scored is where we all differ and I can understand that. Judging is all interpretation, of the fight itself and the scoring criteria. It wasn't the worst decision ever, but IMO it was the wrong decision.

The blame for the outcome isn't all on the judges, IMO Johny and the ref screwed up too. Mario Yamasaki never should have stopped the action when Johny lost his mouthpiece. Johny had GSP in some trouble and he caught a break. Johny never should have let GSP get back up in the 4th round. He had good positions and was doing damge. I thought he could get a 10-8 if he kept it up.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I thought Robbie won also, but thought round 1 could be interesting to see how it was scored. When it went to a split decision I got worried.

Round 1 in the main event is the questionable round, we can all agree on that. The way it was scored is where we all differ and I can understand that. Judging is all interpretation, of the fight itself and the scoring criteria. It wasn't the worst decision ever, but IMO it was the wrong decision.

The blame for the outcome isn't all on the judges, IMO Johny and the ref screwed up too. Mario Yamasaki never should have stopped the action when Johny lost his mouthpiece. Johny had GSP in some trouble and he caught a break. Johny never should have let GSP get back up in the 4th round. He had good positions and was doing damge. I thought he could get a 10-8 if he kept it up.
i thought the mouth piece was gsp's and was wondering what yamasaki was doing .. safety first ... and they did clinch for a bit, so it was appropriate ..

as for who's fault ... i'd say johnny's corner .. they basically told him before the fifth that he should take a victory lap as he had the title wrapped up .... was weird ...
Old 11-18-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:

I agree, Kevin, Johny probably shouldn't have let him back up. I also thought the ref caused a break in momentum more than once in the fight--though I do understand about being safe.

With this "win" GSP sure racks up big time...he retains the title/belt, he gets to claim another title win, and breaks one or two records (doesn't he?). Decisions like this are bad enough for the guy on the losing end in a non-title match, but a title match, one with records...it really makes it so much worse in my opinion.

Last edited by Bonnie; 11-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
I agree, Kevin, Johny probably shouldn't have let him back up. I also thought the ref caused a break in momentum more than once in the fight--though I do understand about being safe.

With this "win" GSP sure racks up big time...he retains the title/belt, he gets to claim another title win, and breaks one or two records (doesn't he?). Decisions like this are bad enough for the guy on the losing end in a non-title match, but a title match, one with records...it really makes it so much worse in my opinion.
True, guess it depends what you are fighting for. I don't think Matt was ever in it for the glory and records, he just liked to compete. Farming was always his job, not fighting. But the judges and referees can play a huge impact on these fighter's lives. A loss can cost them in many ways. People always want to say "never let it go to the judges"....if only it were that easy. These guys are the best of the best and a finish just isn't going to always happen. But judges need to be competent and all on the same page when scoring so this sport can keep it's legitimacy and not turn into boxing.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:40 AM

Here's a link to the post-fight conference.

Georges does show up from the hospital later on in the interview...

My reaction...it was kind of sad.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 11-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Round 1 - GSP gets take down, attempts choke but they're both quickly back on their feet. Both of them throwing knees, muscling each other. Johny throws some hard knees to GSP's thighs. GSP attempts a takedown, has Johny's right leg, but Johny easily maintains his balance and throws hard punches to GSP's face. GSP backs him up against the fence but Johny gives him some really hard elbows, vicious, to the side of GSP's head causing GSP to let go. Johny now has GSP turned around on fence and lands hard knees to GSP's thighs. Johny gets a takedown (1-1). Elbow to Georges face, more hard knee to his thigh. Hard knee by Johny, nice kick by GSP. Both throwing and missing; high kick by GSP, hard knee to thigh by Hendricks. Goldy saying so far Hendricks the leader in significant strikes landed with a little over 30 seconds left on clock. Kicks by Hendricks. Both throw, miss. Round ends with Johny moving forward being the aggressor.

After watching it again, I still think Johny edged George in this round with more aggression and control, and with more significant strikes, knees, elbows.

Round 2 - Hendricks. I really think Johny could have finished GSP and the fight here when he had George hurt and wobbling early in the round if he had just kept blasting him with some more of those hard shots...not sure why he didn't take more advantage of that.

Round 3 - GSP

Round 4 - Hendricks

Round 5 - Okay, after re-watching this round, I can see how they gave it to George. For me, it was like the 1st round, but in reverse, George came off more as the aggressor and edged Johny.

After re-watching the fight, I've changed my mind about Round 5 and am now giving it to George. I have George winning 3 & 5, but still have Johny winning the fight with rounds 1, 2 & 4.
i think the part you highlighted was the reason most people gave that round to johnny ... except 2 of the judges, and they don't hear the commentary ... the stat they showed had jonny landing 21 -12 in significant strikes ... that wasn't accurate .... but that does a lot to sway peoples judgement ... it was close and gsp actually landed more significant strikes by one and johnny landed one more total strike .. so its hard to say the round is a no brainer .. close, coulda gone either way ... went the way of the champ .. we'll see a rematch .. gsp will smash him
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
i think the part you highlighted was the reason most people gave that round to johnny ... except 2 of the judges, and they don't hear the commentary ... the stat they showed had jonny landing 21 -12 in significant strikes ... that wasn't accurate .... but that does a lot to sway peoples judgement ... it was close and gsp actually landed more significant strikes by one and johnny landed one more total strike .. so its hard to say the round is a no brainer .. close, coulda gone either way ... went the way of the champ .. we'll see a rematch .. gsp will smash him
Actually it wasn't until I was re-watching it that I heard Goldy say that, I was so into the match I missed hearing him say that during the fight, AND, I missed the stats they were putting up on the screen too!

Yeah, about those two judges
Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
great fight ... gsp had his hands full ... johnny did more damage, but I think gsp won rounds 1,3 and 5 ...

and gsp stepping away is weird ... but he needs the break ... Anderson talked about the same thing ... but something tell me gsp has something else going on .. . like he knocked someone up or something ... lol
This.

JH had every opportunity to win that fight and didn't. For all the people who hate on GSP for not finishing fights they sure are quiet when it comes to this one. JH deserved to lose that fight and he did.

I liked the guy until I heard him in the post fights presser and interviews. Now he's just a very talented tool.

GSP won 1,3,5..... the belt is where it should be. Damage and ugly faces do not win fights. IF they did Nick Diaz would have lost every single decision he's ever been in as well as a few other fighters.