Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD
This just isn't a boxing trainer, For those of you who remember the '76 Olympics Howard Davis Jr. was unbelievable. He was voted the Most Outstanding Boxer of the games. That was a very stacked US boxing team with Sugar Ray Leonard and many more future world champs. Davis will clean up some of the mistakes that lead to Chuck getting clocked in the past.

Chuck also said he is working on his wrestling to sharpen that up as well. I really believe Chuck will win by viscious KO.
This was the part that had me the most excited... I wonder if he's working on it to keep from being taken down.... or we see the Iceman take some shots again and do some G&P????
Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
A boxing trainer will clean up and round out his striking. This is as much for defense as for offense. Chuck has a great trainer in Hackleman. Hackleman cracked the Couture riddle for the second and third fights. The problem Chuck had is that his boxing was getting so loose that he kept getting caught. he wasn't hitting as hard as he used to and I think the fact that other fighters (Rashad and Rampage) are training more crisp, tight and technical striking. I think this is a great training move.

When you get with a real boxing trainer it improves your whole game. Head movement, footwork. Look at Rampage. I think Chuck is going to look awesome for the next fight.
He did say he was working on improving his defense and working on his wrestling. He just left himself too open (imho); hopefully he's been working on that.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
He did say he was working on improving his defense and working on his wrestling. He just left himself too open (imho); hopefully he's been working on that.
Yeah he's definitely working on all aspects of his boxing. It's scary to think how hard he'll be hitting after working with a boxing trainer of that caliber. I think he's got better wrestling than Shogun, too. I think it's going to be a very bad night for Rua. Don't get me wrong I really like both fighters but I'd rather see Chuck make a comeback at this point.

[
Old 04-02-2009, 01:22 PM
KevinD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter
Yeah he's definitely working on all aspects of his boxing. It's scary to think how hard he'll be hitting after working with a boxing trainer of that caliber. I think he's got better wrestling than Shogun, too. I think it's going to be a very bad night for Rua. Don't get me wrong I really like both fighters but I'd rather see Chuck make a comeback at this point.

If Shogun isn't in top shape for this fight he WILL go to sleep in the first round. I can just picture Chuck landing a massive uppercut to the jaw and leaving Shogun in a big heap.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD
If Shogun isn't in top shape for this fight he WILL go to sleep in the first round. I can just picture Chuck landing a massive uppercut to the jaw and leaving Shogun in a big heap.
Me too
It would definitely move him back up the ladder. Who would you see him fighting after that? I'd like to see him avenge a loss or two (jardine, Evans).

[
Old 04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
pistol-pete

I am really excited for this fight, simply because Chuck has his back up against the wall, just like the Wandy fight. It is put up or shut up time for Liddell. He is talking like he is taking this fight 100% serious, working on cleaning up all his basics. I think Chuck got hung up on the knock out, throwing really bad punches and being out of position(not having the angles) when he threw them. That uppercut that he threw at Rashad when he got bombed was just horrible, he left his whole head unprotected, and didn't do anything to set up the punch to begin with, he just wanted to land a KO blow so bad he got carried away.

Chuck has to go back to his foot work, circling away, using good head movement...

I don't think it is a shocking statement to say that Chuck has lost a step, that doesn't mean he has to stop evolving as a fighter though. Case and point look at Randy. I am sure Randy has lost some of his quickness, but he is still one of the best because he can game plan, and then usually executes that game plan. Chuck will be successful against Rua, and in his quest to get another title shot if he truly has what it takes to evolve as an older fighter, work just that much harder than the next guy, fight every fight like it is his last.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Max

If the shogun that dominated PRIDE shows up I think he will KO Chuck. If Shogun looks like he did in his last 2 fights though, I think Chuck might just kill Shogun. In the end I think Shogun will come in focused and I think he will win by KO in the 2nd.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
If the shogun that dominated PRIDE shows up I think he will KO Chuck. If Shogun looks like he did in his last 2 fights though, I think Chuck might just kill Shogun. In the end I think Shogun will come in focused and I think he will win by KO in the 2nd.
The Shogun that dominated in Pride stomped and kicked a lot of guys in the face to win (Rampage, Arona, etc) I think not having that rule takes some of his arsenal away. We'll see. That Shogun is terrifying.
almost as terrifying as a focused and in-shape Chuck. thsi has fight of the year written all over it.

[
Old 04-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Hughes fanboy

This is it for Chuck...he needs this win if he wants to be relevant in the UFC anymore.

WAR CHUCK
Old 04-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Stump Rules!

Way to go Chuck! Now perhaps he'll win again

http://stumpdotcom.com/