Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 PM

Default Chuck Liddell Sharpens Boxing with Olympian

Quote:
San Luis Obispo, California - Chuck Liddell is getting some extra help on his boxing skills from 1976 Boxing Olympic Gold Medalist ��" Howard Davis Jr., who has been in Chuck’s training camp for the past few weeks. “I’m helping Chuck with his striking and making sure that he uses his hand power to the fullest,” said Davis Jr., who serves as Boxing Director for American Top Team & is Co-Founder of Fight Time Promotions in Florida.

Howard Davis Jr. says he’s providing Chuck with the strong training regimen that professional boxers use. Davis joined John Hackelman, who is Chuck’s longtime trainer of 16-years, two weeks ago and plans to stay in California for another two weeks. Davis Jr. is a busy man. When he gets back to Florida, he plans on putting together his first MMA show as Promoter and is inviting all interested sponsors to contact him at: howarddavisjr.com. Davis’ first show is appropriately dubbed: Brazil VS USA.

Chuck Liddell takes on Brazilian superstar Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in what promises to be one of the most explosive bouts of 2009! The 39-year-old former light heavyweight champion won an amazing 14 out of 15 UFC matches from 1999-2006, and is now focused on winning the title back from Rashad Evans, who defeated Liddell at UFC 88. Liddell is making sure that his renewed boxing skills can assure him a win!
Rumor has it that Chuck is not going out at all. he goes from gym to home. Look out Rua!

[
Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Miss Foxy

Im so glad to hear Chucky is focusing on training & winning.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Blmfighter

I hope Chuck takes this one.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Chuck

Good for Chuck... I hope he tightens his boxing up a little...
Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 AM
Maldonado136

chuck doesnt need a boxing trainer imo he needs someone who will help him use more skills in the cage instead of just looking to land the right hand. someone like greg jackson (not greg himself of course he trains rashad so that obviously wouldnt work)
Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldonado136
chuck doesnt need a boxing trainer imo he needs someone who will help him use more skills in the cage instead of just looking to land the right hand. someone like greg jackson (not greg himself of course he trains rashad so that obviously wouldnt work)
A boxing trainer will clean up and round out his striking. This is as much for defense as for offense. Chuck has a great trainer in Hackleman. Hackleman cracked the Couture riddle for the second and third fights. The problem Chuck had is that his boxing was getting so loose that he kept getting caught. he wasn't hitting as hard as he used to and I think the fact that other fighters (Rashad and Rampage) are training more crisp, tight and technical striking. I think this is a great training move.

When you get with a real boxing trainer it improves your whole game. Head movement, footwork. Look at Rampage. I think Chuck is going to look awesome for the next fight.

[
Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

I hope Chuck is training well...because remember what Dana White said...winning aint good enough...he must be seemingly flawless
Old 04-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Josh

I have never been a huge fan of Chuck but I think it's really cool when a guy changes things up to try to get the upper hand.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM
KevinD

This just isn't a boxing trainer, For those of you who remember the '76 Olympics Howard Davis Jr. was unbelievable. He was voted the Most Outstanding Boxer of the games. That was a very stacked US boxing team with Sugar Ray Leonard and many more future world champs. Davis will clean up some of the mistakes that lead to Chuck getting clocked in the past.

Chuck also said he is working on his wrestling to sharpen that up as well. I really believe Chuck will win by viscious KO.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD
This just isn't a boxing trainer, For those of you who remember the '76 Olympics Howard Davis Jr. was unbelievable. He was voted the Most Outstanding Boxer of the games. That was a very stacked US boxing team with Sugar Ray Leonard and many more future world champs. Davis will clean up some of the mistakes that lead to Chuck getting clocked in the past.

Chuck also said he is working on his wrestling to sharpen that up as well. I really believe Chuck will win by viscious KO.

[