Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 08-30-2013, 02:57 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Vitor Belfort says TRT isnít the reason why heís fighting in Brazil

From MMAFighting.com:
Quote:
Vitor Belfort returns to Brazil this fall, but you canít blame testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) for that.

Belfort fights in Brazil for the fourth time over the last five fights when he headlines UFC Fight Night 32 card in Goiania against Dan Henderson on Nov. 9, and he says ticket sales are the reason why he wonít return to the United States anytime soon.

"A lot of fighters are on TRT right now, (but) everybodyís saying thatís why I fight there," Belfort said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "But I believe the reason why I fight in Brazil is because I sell a lot in Brazil. I miss fighting in Las Vegas and other places, but I donít see any problems that Iím not fighting (there) because I sell big in Brazil. Makes sense for them and makes sense for me."

For those who claim Belfort isnít well tested when he fights in Brazil, he has an answer for that. And "The Phenom" warns Henderson that, if he applies for TRT, he will have to do some extra tests.

"Brazil is the only place that they do blood tests after the fight," he said. "Now, Iím fighting a guy whoís on TRT too. They are very surprised that they will have to test blood too. Two months before the fight I have to do blood tests, at least once a month. I do that on my own every week too. Itís important. Iím just trying to be fair with everybody and also with myself."

Despite not giving too many interviews in the past months, claiming he would just "wait in silence" for his next fight, Belfort used his personal Twitter to call out a couple opponents. Dana White even said Vitor Belfort drives him "crazy" for calling out Chris Weidman and Chael Sonnen, but the Brazilian says they are good now.

"I believe we all make mistakes," he said. "I made mine and I think the key of life is just recognize your mistakes. Once you recognize it, you solve it. Sometimes itís just differences and things like that. I spoke with (Dana) and asked him to forgive anything I did. It was good. We have a big fight, weíre happy. I donít need to tell how much I am a company guy, how much I worked hard for the UFC inside and outside the cage. Iím very happy and blessed to work the biggest promotion of the world. And I honor my commitments.

"The bottom line is I know where I can stand, what I have to do. I really apologize whatever I did. Iím here to do my job. They offered me this fight and I think itís great. I will always be there for them."

Belfortís "next job" is on Nov. 9 in Goiania, and heís ready to face another "lion" inside the Octagon.

"Iím very happy to have that rematch," said Belfort. "Not a lot of guys give me rematches. Itís my first in the UFC so Iím excited. Heís a lion. Iím facing a lion, so I have to be ready. Henderson is fighting five rounds with tough guys, going after guys, not backing off. Dan Henderson is a great fighter. I have to be ready and prepared, focused, and thatís what Iím doing."
Almost makes you think Brazil's being legit with drug testing, right?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post

From MMAFighting.com:

Almost makes you think Brazil's being legit with drug testing, right?
Wrong:
The Only Qualified Drug Testing Lab In Brazil Just Lost Accreditation

From DeadSpin.com:
Quote:
Boy, this would really be a problem if Brazil were going to host any major international sporting events in the next, say, three years.

The problems at the Rio de Janeiro clinic, known as Ladetec and the only one in the country accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency to test athletes' samples, date back a while. In January of 2012, Ladetec falsely accused a Brazilian volleyball player of doping with Androstanediol. A WADA investigation found it had improperly performed a certain testing procedure, and suspended the lab from performing isotope ratio mass spectrometry for nine months.

At the time, Brazils' WADA rep said it was no big dealóLadetec just wasn't particularly good with certain testing methods.
Quote:
"It is important to understand that not all labs are proficient in every technique. This is something normal that can happen to laboratories. The problem would have been if (Ladetec's) accreditation had been revoked."
Well, here we are. Earlier this month, after multiple site visits, WADA again suspended Ladetec, and yesterday announced it will revoke the lab's credentials. From WADA's statement:
Quote:
"The revocation will enter into force September 25, 2013 and means that the laboratory Ė which is currently suspended Ė will no longer be authorised to carry out the testing of doping control samples on behalf of Wada or any testing authority.

"In the meantime, the suspension remains applicable and Ladetec is therefore ineligible to perform analysis of doping control samples for any testing authority."
There's no detail given on what exactly the lab did, or failed to do, only that it was in "non-compliance with the International Standard for Laboratories," which are WADA-conceived guidelines. Ladetec can appeal the permanent revocation of its credentials before the international Court of Arbitration for Sport, but the suspension can't be fought.

This is a huge issue for Brazil and WADA. Ladetec was to test the samples from next summer's World Cup and the 2016 summer Olympics, and there's not another site in the country that's qualified to take its place. But even more than that, it's another useful reminder that PED testing is only as good as the people carrying it out.