Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-28-2013, 01:33 AM

Rory MacDonald vs. Jake Ellenberger

Round 1:
Herb Dean is our referee for this welterweight co-main event. MacDonald connects first, finding a home for a stiff jab. Ellenberger swings and misses. Neither fighter willing to commit to anything significant yet. Ellenberger circles right while MacDonald stalks forward. MacDonald pumps his jab, Ellenberger follows suit. The crowd is already getting a bit restless. Ellenberger wades inside but can't connect. MacDonald dodges a front kick. Blood is slowly dribbling out of MacDonald's nose. MacDonald pressures with his jab. Ellenberger loads up with a left, but whiffs. More boos from the crowd.

Round 2:
MacDonald taps Ellenberger's chin with a front kick. MacDonald doubles up on his jab. Ellenberger misses a left. He's struggling to get inside. Ellenberger finally changes levels and shoots for a double, but MacDonald fights it off. MacDonald plants another jab on Ellenberger's chin. The boobirds are back. Ellenberger blocks a head kick. Ellenberger can't get anything going right now. Ellenberger wades inside with a flurry but nothing lands flush. MacDonald sidesteps a leg kick.

Round 3:
Ellenberger needs to ratchet up the intensity. MacDonald tosses out a series of front kicks to keep Ellenberger at bay. MacDonald pumps his jab then follows with a straight right. Ellenberger eats another jab. High kick misses for MacDonald. MacDonald continues to work his jab. The boos are overwhelming at this point. Another front kick connects for MacDonald. MacDonald slips but Ellenberger can't capitalize. MacDonald snaps Ellenberger's head back with a jab. Time is running out for Ellenberger. MacDonald doubles up on his jab. Ellenberger finally changes levels and dumps MacDonald on his back, landing in full guard. Less than a minute left to do something. MacDonald ties him up, then throws his legs up for an armlock. Ellenberger spins and MacDonald takes his back at the horn.

Rory MacDonald def. Jake Ellenberger via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-28-2013, 02:06 AM

Unless the challenger pulls off something dramatic, I will be 7 for 12 on this one. :(
Old 07-28-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Ed Herman vs. Trevor Smith

Round 1:
Herb Dean is the referee for this bout. The fight's first exchange ends with Smith, the hometown favorite as a Tacoma native, bodylocking Herman along the fence. Herman esxapes and lands an uppercut, then wobbles Smith with a right. Herman follows him and lands a couple more uppercuts in close. They break. Smith tags Herman with a big left, then a big right. This is turning into quite a slugfest. Smith absorbs another uppercut and a big knee. They clinch and Herman goes with the dirty boxing. Smith lands a knee and fires a right as Herman backpedals out of the way. Smith pops Herman with a right. Final minute. Herman sprawls a takedown attempt and lands a nasty two-punch combo. Smith cut over his left eye. Big ovation from the crowd.

Round 2:
Smith throws a head kick and slips. Herman goes to the mat and holds in him in a headlock. Smith catches him with a kick to the body as they get back to their feet. The pace slows. Smith with a low kick and Herman lands a body shot. Midway through the round. Herman has an answer every time Smith comes at him. Smith finally scores a takedown. Back to their feet with two minutes left. Smith scores two left hands and just misses with a right. Smith lands a left cross as Herman comes after him. Another clinch Herman lands a knee, then drops and turns it into a takedown. Smith has him in a loose guillotine.

Round 3:
An early exchange ends with a Herman takedown. He’s got Smith in a triangle. Herb Dean looks like he’s close to calling it. He escapes and he’s back on his feet. Pace has slowed, as there’s a lot of clinch work without either guy getting much of an advantage. Two minutes left. A Smith kick lands low and Dean calls timeout. Smith kicks low and Herman lands two lefts. Herman goes for a takedown but Smith gets out of the way. Smith lands a head kick solid, but Herman doesn’t blink. Big round of applause from the crowd in the final seconds. The pair embrace after the horn.

Ed Herman def. Smith via split decision (30-27, 27-30, 29-28).

Congrats to Ed Herman, but why in the world didn't Trevor Smith go in for the finish in the 1st when he rocked Herman?...a costly missed opportunity for Smith.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:21 AM

Demetrious Johnson vs. John Moraga

Round 1:
Herb Dean is our referee for this flyweight championship match. Moraga storms forward early. Both men trade leg kicks. Moraga catches Johnson with a body kick, and another. Johnson lunges inside and connects with a straight right. Moraga snaps off a kick to Johnson's lead leg. Johnson ties up, but winds up with his back against the fence. Johnson reverses, then drops down for a double and dumps Moraga on his back. Johnson advances into side control. Johnson briefly traps Moraga's right arm. Moraga frees it and recovers his half-guard. Johnson goes body-head. Moraga threatens with a leglock, then uses the opportunity to create some distance. Johnson jumps onto a front headlock. Johnson stands and cranks down on a guillotine just as the horn sounds. Wow, that could've been deadly.

Round 2:
Moraga whiffs a leg kick. Johnson changes levels then explodes into a double, landing inside Moraga's guard. Johnson passes into side control. Moraga eats a flurry of short punches. Johnson unloads a few knees to Moraga's body. Johnson looks to pass but Moraga whirls around and locks his legs around Johnson's throat. Johnson powers out and reestablishes side control. Johnson hunting for a kimura on Moraga's right arm. Moraga gives up his back. Johnson stands and suplexes Moraga to the canvas. Moraga slowly works back to his feet, then seizes a single. Johnson escapes and returns to the center of the cage. Moraga catches Johnson coming in with a stiff jab. Johnson times his shot, then plants Moraga on his back, landing in side control. Moraga recovers his half-guard. Johnson again hunting for a kimura. Moraga fights it off, but eats a salvo of punches for his troubles.

Round 3:
Johnson fires off a few leg kicks. Moraga wings a looping right at Johnson's chin. Moraga wades inside and connects with a shot to the body. Johnson drops down and easily dumps Moraga on the mat. Moraga opens his guard then throws his legs up to attack, but Johnson simply advances into side control. Moraga gives up his back. Johnson nearly sinks in a body triangle, but Moraga explodes to his feet. Moraga closes the distance and muscles Johnson against the fence. Johnson deftly reverses and trips Moraga, landing in half guard. Johnson seizes a kimura and cranks. This one is deep. Moraga stays patient and works out of it, eventually climbing to his feet, grabbing a single and completing his first takedown. Johnson springs back to life.

Round 4:
We're back in the championship rounds. Johnson unloads a kick to the body. Moraga returns the favor, only to be taken down. Johnson snatches a front headlock, then spins to Moraga's back. Moraga grabs wrist control and stands. Johnson ducks under and dumps Moraga to the canvas, completing his seventh takedown of the fight. Moraga stands, but eats a few knees to the body in the process. Johnson works to the clinch, then connects with an illegal knee to a downed Moraga. Dean didn't notice it. Moraga is back to his feet. He's still in it, but he has to do something drastic. Just as I type that, Moraga staggers Johnson with a looping right hook. Blood explodes out of Johnson's nose. Johnson senses danger and completes another takedown.

Round 5:
Moraga lunges inside with an uppercut. He knows he needs to finish this. Johnson ducks under a punch and dumps Moraga on his back. Johnson postures up then moves into side control. Moraga briefly climbs to his feet, but quickly finds himself back on the mat. Johnson locks in the beginning stages of a gator roll. Moraga powers out then stands, but Johnson dumps him back on the canvas, working into side control. Johnson hunting for a kimura on Moraga's right arm. Johnson spins for the armbar. He's got it.

Demetrious Johnson def. John Moraga via submission (armbar) at 3:43 of round five.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
Unless the challenger pulls off something dramatic, I will be 7 for 12 on this one. :(
You beat me, F34R, I was 6 for 12.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Congrats to Ed Herman, but why in the world didn't Trevor Smith go in for the finish in the 1st when he rocked Herman?...a costly missed opportunity for Smith.
I'm glad he didn't though! I was rooting for Ed!

Did you see the Mac Danzig fight, Bon? Sheesh, I was afraid he wasn't going to get up. That was painful to watch.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Mac Danzig vs. Melvin Guillard

Round 1:
Steve Newport is the referee for this lightweight fight. Guillard lands a body shot before Danzig ties him up and they grapple along the fence. They break. Guillard tags Danzig, who shakes it off. They clinch again and Guillard lands an elbow on the break. Danzig with a low kick. Guillard whiffs on overhand right. Guillard avoids a takedown attempt and ducks a Danzig right hand. Guillard catches Danzig with a right hand. Guilalrd with a two punch combo, the second of which rocks Danzig backwards. Danzig with a pair of body shots. Guillard with a solid body kick in the closing seconds.

Round 2:
An early grappling battle ends inconclusively. Guillard pops Danzig with a right to the face and suddenly has some spring in his step. Guillard with a kick to the body. Danzig with a low kick, then eats a right to the jaw as he comes in. Guillard drops Danzig with a big left to the jaw, opens up with hammerfists and puts him out. Newport breaks it up about three shots too late.

Melvin Guillard def. Mac Danzig via knockout at 2:47 of round two.

The ref should have stopped that sooner. Grrrrr.
I wish the ref had been a little quicker too, Cathy, those last hits from Melvin looked like they were really hard and right on his nose which was already beat up. Mac looked like he was in a lot of pain when they showed him on the ground, and he didn't look good when Buffer was announcing the winner.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
I'm glad he didn't though! I was rooting for Ed!

Did you see the Mac Danzig fight, Bon? Sheesh, I was afraid he wasn't going to get up. That was painful to watch.
I guess I was typing my comments on the fight when you posted this! I'm late getting my comments in because I recorded the fights and watched them later hoping to go thru all the commercials.

Yes, that was painful to watch; I thought he might be seriously hurt too. I know the hits come with the territory just like with boxing and football, but I hate to think of the possible damage to these guys' brains with all the hits their faces and heads take.

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-28-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Robbie Lawler vs. Bobby Voelker

Round 1:
Dan Miragliotta is our referee for this welterweight bout. Lawler opens with a flurry. Voelker finds a home for a straight left. Lawler closes the distance and tosses Voelker to the canvas, landing in half guard. Voelker works to his feet, but Lawler has him trapped against the fence. Blood is already pouring out of Voelker's nose. Lawler connects with a big uppercut off the break. Lawler stalking. Voelker blocks a head kick. And another. Huge flying knee from Lawler. Voelker shakes it off and presses forward. Lawler lunges inside with a left, followed by another. Voelker eats a head kick. Lawler is landing at will right now.

Round 2:
Lawler unloads a flurry but slips on his way out. Lawler recovers. Huge head kick topples Voelker! Lawler swarms but it's already over. Wow.

Robbie Lawler def. Bobby Voelker via knockout (head kick) at 0:24 of round two.

Woohoo!!! Great KO, Robbie!

Robbie looked absolutely fantastic, both physically and with his fighting. I'm with Rogan, the best I've ever seen him. He was so light on his feet, moving, the kicks, just everything...outstanding! I've never seen him look so polished. I can't say enough! Just fantastic, Robbie!!!

I didn't get to see Robbie's fight in February when he first came back at welterweight, it seems to suit him very well.

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-28-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Rory MacDonald vs. Jake Ellenberger

Rory MacDonald def. Jake Ellenberger via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)

With Rory's reach advantage and stance, I thought Jake just needed to risk it and move forward into Rory, just go for it.

Quote:
Demetrious Johnson vs. John Moraga

Demetrious Johnson def. John Moraga via submission (armbar) at 3:43 of round five.
Little but MIGHTY!