Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
It obviously works, I can't stand it either! I just hated to see him lose that way.

Hey, wait a minute, you didn't answer my ?, you didn't agree with Wavetar about why they were booing him last night, so what's your theory. This wasn't like the Maia fight where he wasn't engaging at all.
I believe that many feel that they got cheated by Anderson last night. His antics cost him the fight and in many's eyes this didn't prove anything about who the better fighter is. Fans wanted to see a fight and I think were mad that Anderson didn't "get loose" like he normally does and fully engage.

I also believe that people feel that Anderson disrespected Weidman with his antics and they weren't appreciative of that. It's funny how people flip on fighters, when he is making highlight reel KOs with those things he is the greatest ever, but when it costs him he is considered disrespectful and people then question his legacy.

After the fight they interviewed Weidman and he doesn't even see it as disrespect, he knew Anderson would try this as it is part of his arsenal. As Ben said, Chris was the only one not to get rattled and was able to capitalize. Unfortunately he isn't getting the credit he deserves as most feel Anderson lost rather than Chris winning.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I believe that many feel that they got cheated by Anderson last night. His antics cost him the fight and in many's eyes this didn't prove anything about who the better fighter is. Fans wanted to see a fight and I think were mad that Anderson didn't "get loose" like he normally does and fully engage.

I also believe that people feel that Anderson disrespected Weidman with his antics and they weren't appreciative of that. It's funny how people flip on fighters, when he is making highlight reel KOs with those things he is the greatest ever, but when it costs him he is considered disrespectful and people then question his legacy.

After the fight they interviewed Weidman and he doesn't even see it as disrespect, he knew Anderson would try this as it is part of his arsenal. As Ben said, Chris was the only one not to get rattled and was able to capitalize. Unfortunately he isn't getting the credit he deserves as most feel Anderson lost rather than Chris winning.
This. +1,000,000

It's just drunk, fickle, uneducated fans.

Remember how they all booed JDS after Cain beat him?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
This. +1,000,000

It's just drunk, fickle, uneducated fans.

Remember how they all booed JDS after Cain beat him?
Well... I've never been drunk before... I MAY be a little fickle but I'm far from uneducated and I personally hated Anderson's antics last night and I'm definitely disappointed I didn't get to see the fight I was hoping for.

The bobbing and weaving and leaning in and out with your hands at your hips is and has always been a part of Anderson's strategy. It's a legit strategy and it's effective. Last night however it seemed to me that he was going quite a bit above and beyond that. The faking that he's hurt, wobbly knees, slapping his leg and calling for a leg kick, hitting his own chin etc, etc. that's the stuff I don't like, feel is unnecessary and to me it seemed like he did a lot more of that last night than normal. Ultimately it cost him the fight and I was happy for that.

It doesn't change my opinion of him at all... I'm just happy to see a showboat get KO'd that's all. ;)
Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 AM

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 07-08-2013, 02:51 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Well... I've never been drunk before... I MAY be a little fickle but I'm far from uneducated and I personally hated Anderson's antics last night and I'm definitely disappointed I didn't get to see the fight I was hoping for.

The bobbing and weaving and leaning in and out with your hands at your hips is and has always been a part of Anderson's strategy. It's a legit strategy and it's effective. Last night however it seemed to me that he was going quite a bit above and beyond that. The faking that he's hurt, wobbly knees, slapping his leg and calling for a leg kick, hitting his own chin etc, etc. that's the stuff I don't like, feel is unnecessary and to me it seemed like he did a lot more of that last night than normal. Ultimately it cost him the fight and I was happy for that.

It doesn't change my opinion of him at all... I'm just happy to see a showboat get KO'd that's all. ;)
I hear what you are saying, but I think Anderson went over the top because he wasn't getting the reaction he was expecting from the normal antics. He saw that Weidman wasn't falling for his normal stuff, so he went with more. Strategy or showboating....it backfired.

I also wanted to mention that the booing was likely also because it was USA vs Brazil. From being at some of these events I have seen how nuts they get and with Weidman winning it fueled the American crowd, same thing happened with Cain over JDS.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post

This is very unfortunate for Weidman especially since he not only won, but he won by knocking out Anderson Silva, he's the only one who can say that! I guess everyone is more focused on Anderson's loss because of how the KO came about, and also because of what he said after the fight about not being interested in a rematch/fighting for the belt again.

Anderson opened the door wide and invited Weidman to step inside, Weidman extended his fist and said, "Wham bam, thank you ma'am!"

Weidman definitely deserves credit for the win, and we'll give Anderson credit for the "assist".

Last edited by Bonnie; 07-08-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Exactly. It wasn't as Ben put it, that he was 'bobbing and weaving'. It went from a tactic to a ridiculous show. You didn't see that type of showboating when he respected his opponents, only the ones he didn't feel 'deserved' to be in there with him. IF they ever rematch, you can rest assured he will NOT repeat that performance.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 PM

anderson got cocky and paid the price ... i had him winning big in the first, but obviously i don't know jack! ... lol ... anderson thought he was fighting bonnar doing all those dumb moves and weidman is no bonnar ...
Old 07-08-2013, 01:52 PM

The hotdog got the relish... simple as that... I am having a hard time remembering the last fight he didn't play to the crowd with (maybe vs Sonnen was the last time)... As a fan you don't mind seeing a few episodes of trash talk, hitting yourself in the face, even a Diego Sanchez screaming "yes" can make you crack a smile.... But to taunt, and taunt, and taunt, during a title fight against a good opponent.... He got what he earned that evening for sure...

If it cost him his big payday or a superfight... then he's going to have to come out there and do what he used too. Either that or he's in his hotel room counting his millions that he put on Weidman... I'm joking... Weidman is a beast and I would love to see him run with the title for a while....
Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Hailey's Dad

Quote:

Exactly the same for me (except the "never been drunk" part).