Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM

Default Fighter Salaries....

I know this has probably been discussed many times on the site, but after checking out Yahoo Sports! and seeing the UFC162 payouts, I'm puzzled. I know Weidman will get other perks, KO of the night bonus, etc.... But so many people from the mid-card are going to make more than him. Crippler, Munoz, even Herman's short effort almost covers most of what Weidman will be getting.

I know titles, maybe UFC tenure, possibly agreed contract amounts all come into play here.... But I'm curious as to what factors get tossed around to come up with these salaries. I never really looked at them before now. I used to think that UFC fighters got paid a mint for what they did. After looking at the payouts of fighters the last couple of years, I realized something..... There's a lot of fighters out there that have to be struggling to pay things. Seriously! I picture some of these guys with annual salaries of about $30k or less struggling like most of us week to week. I'm not sure what else goes into being a fighter, but you would think other people get a slice of a fighter's purse (agents, trainers, TAXES). Unless the sponsorship money is really that good, I picture everyone not at the top really making a major sacrifice to fight for a living. I could probably ask Matt if I saw him in town, but he would probably be hard pressed to answer it... He fought, farmed, worked construction, etc., so he was always working and earning money elsewhere before his pay jumped to upper-tier... And if UFC is the elite brand, I'd hate to see how low the pay is for other organizations fighters. That's scary to think about.

A lot of you die-hards are a more "in the know" than myself... Can you give me the skinny on what all goes into a UFC Payday, and why someone in a title fight (Weidman) can be so low on the pay scale???
Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHLERZ5 View Post
I know this has probably been discussed many times on the site, but after checking out Yahoo Sports! and seeing the UFC162 payouts, I'm puzzled. I know Weidman will get other perks, KO of the night bonus, etc.... But so many people from the mid-card are going to make more than him. Crippler, Munoz, even Herman's short effort almost covers most of what Weidman will be getting.

I know titles, maybe UFC tenure, possibly agreed contract amounts all come into play here.... But I'm curious as to what factors get tossed around to come up with these salaries. I never really looked at them before now. I used to think that UFC fighters got paid a mint for what they did. After looking at the payouts of fighters the last couple of years, I realized something..... There's a lot of fighters out there that have to be struggling to pay things. Seriously! I picture some of these guys with annual salaries of about $30k or less struggling like most of us week to week. I'm not sure what else goes into being a fighter, but you would think other people get a slice of a fighter's purse (agents, trainers, TAXES). Unless the sponsorship money is really that good, I picture everyone not at the top really making a major sacrifice to fight for a living. I could probably ask Matt if I saw him in town, but he would probably be hard pressed to answer it... He fought, farmed, worked construction, etc., so he was always working and earning money elsewhere before his pay jumped to upper-tier... And if UFC is the elite brand, I'd hate to see how low the pay is for other organizations fighters. That's scary to think about.

A lot of you die-hards are a more "in the know" than myself... Can you give me the skinny on what all goes into a UFC Payday, and why someone in a title fight (Weidman) can be so low on the pay scale???
It all comes down to who you were before you signed your current schedule. Chris was a late-replacement guy who was 4-0 in a Jersey-based small promotion. To be fair, for a guy who's in his first contract with the UFC to be making 24/24 is not too shabby.

Now that he's won the title, you can guarantee he'll re-up & be getting a much better deal!

O, here's proof: http://www.mmamania.com/2013/3/29/41...rson-silva-mma
Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM

yeah .. ben hit it on the head ... chris isn't going to have to worry about fighter pay for a while ... if dana is smart, he shouldn't give anderson a rematch ... chris looks to me like he'd be easy to market and promote as the guy who ended the GOAT's streak ...
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
yeah .. ben hit it on the head ... chris isn't going to have to worry about fighter pay for a while ... if dana is smart, he shouldn't give anderson a rematch ... chris looks to me like he'd be easy to market and promote as the guy who ended the GOAT's streak ...
Yeah, but not quite yet. I mean, when Frankie beat BJ, everyone was shocked & impressed, but figured that was his lucky night. It wasn't until he beat BJ the second time that everyone realized he was legit.

In this one, everyone's saying Anderson beat himself & that Chris wouldn't have had a shot if Anderson wasn't clowning so much. Until he beats him again, those rumors will stick to him.

On the flip side, if Anderson beats him, you have the makings for a monster trilogy (possibly at MSG if NY gets their ish together). On top of that, you have the makings a great narrative where Anderson a "comeback" story. Imagine the legs Dana can give this "The greatest of all time got cocky & overstretched. He got caught up in the glitz & glamor of fame before being humbled by a simple guy from Long Island. Now, he's gone back to his roots & rededicated his life to the fight game & has come back with a new fire!" etc., etc., etc.

Couple all these things with the fact that Dana's talking Superbowl weekend in Jersey, can you imagine how ramped up the people at FOX are gonna be about promoting that fight. Super Bowl is going to be a marquee event for Fox Sports 1 in their bid to rival ESPN & if their able to throw Silva/Weidman II into the mix, it's going to be insane.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM

^ ^ ^
ok, you are a better marketer than me ... .i am going on the basis that at HW you have an american who they are marketing as mexican, at lhw you have a guy that looks unbeatable, but you bad mouthed him when he wouldn't take a fight and you had to cancel a card, at ww you basically have JCVD who sells a ton of fights, is recognized worldwide, but you can't market well to the american market and so on down the line ... now you have this good looking, white, american born and raised who beat the GOAT!!!! but yeah. i like your idea better ... lol