Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default Tim Sylvia fails to make weight

From MMAMania.com:
Quote:
The weigh in event for ONE FC: "Rise to Power" took place earlier today (May 30, 2013) at the SM Mall of Asia Arena and was extremely eventful with four fighters missing weight, most notably Ryan Diaz, who came in almost 10 pounds over the bantamweight limit ahead of his bout against Yusup Saadulaev.

There will be two ONE FC titles on the line as well as the final of the Bantamweight Grand Prix and all the fighters in these contests made weight at the first attempt. Honorio Banario, who is defending his Featherweight belt, came in at 144.7 pounds while his opponent, Koji Oishi, weighed 144.8 pounds.

Koetsu Okazaki and Bibiano Fernandes both tipped the scales at 134.4 pounds ahead of their fight for the interim bantamweight belt while ONE FC bantamweight GP finalists Kevin Belingon and Masakatsu Ueda were 134 and 134.6 pounds, respectively.

The other three fighters to miss weight were Tim Sylvia, Andrew Leone and Lowen Tynanes and ONE FC officials confirmed that all will have money deducted from their purses. The bout between Saadulaev and Diaz was in jeopardy but Matt Hume was able to broker a deal which will allow it to go ahead despite the difference in weight.

ONE FC: ‘Rise to Power , SM Mall of Asia Arena, Manila,
Honorio Banario (144.7) vs. Koji Oishi (144.8) - for featherweight title
Bibiano Fernandes (134.4) vs. Koetsu Okazaki (134.4) - for interim bantamweight title
Kevin Belingon (134) vs. Masakatsu Ueda (134.6) - bantamweight grand-prix final
Rey Docyogen (124.7) vs. Yasuhiro Uru••••ani (124.7)
Phil Baroni (169) vs. Nobutatsu Suzuki (169.4)
Eduard Folayang (154.4) vs. Kamal Shalorus (154.2)
Geje Eustaquio (124.7) vs. Andrew Leone (127.7)
Ryan Diaz (144.8) vs. Yusup Saadulaev (134.4)
Felipe Enomoto (153.1) vs. Lowen Tynanes (155.2)
Tony Johnson (264.2) vs. Tim Sylvia (271)

The first fight (Tony Johnson vs. Tim Sylvia) gets underway at 6:30 am ET and the entire card can be purchased for $9.99 with the three-fight undercard free to view. For more information visit: www.onefc.com.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 PM

VCU, is the limit 265 or 270? I didn't realize there was a weight limit for HWs.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM

That's sad. How can you talk about getting back into the UFC and not even make a HW weight class?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
VCU, is the limit 265 or 270? I didn't realize there was a weight limit for HWs.
I believe it is 265lbs.

But I'm not Ben.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 PM

Poor Timmay. Must've forgot how to convert Kilo's to pounds.

Just playing. I hope he wins and earns enough to hire him some Dolce. If Tim comes over to the UFC, I'd like to see him around 255-260. He's never been accused of being in great shape that I can remember.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlee View Post
Poor Timmay. Must've forgot how to convert Kilo's to pounds.

Just playing. I hope he wins and earns enough to hire him some Dolce. If Tim comes over to the UFC, I'd like to see him around 255-260. He's never been accused of being in great shape that I can remember.
coughcough
Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Hailey's Dad

Fight card full of fat ole fattys.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

One FC 9 results: Tim Sylvia loses by doctor stoppage to Tony Johnson

Quote:
If there's ever to be a UFC return for former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia, his efforts at One FC 9 aren't going to help his chances.

In addition to missing weight by six pounds prior to the fight, Sylvia eventually lost Friday after an elbow opened up a cut on the forehead of Sylvia, prompting the ringside doctor to recommend to the referee the bout be halted. The end came officially at 3:25 of the third frame with Johnson as the victor.

Still, this was Johnson's fight for nearly the entire duration of the contest. With the exception on a final exchange of strikes toward the end of the third round that had Johnson clearly hurt, the bout was largely controlled by unheralded heavyweight.

In the first frame, both fighters exchanged heavy blows in the early portion of the round before Johnson was able towards the latter half of the frame to begin using his wrestling. Sylvia was adept at controlling posture on the ground and reducing Johnson's ability to land heavy blows, but the blueprint was set.

For almost the entire second frame, Johnson was able to take Sylvia to the mat by securing a double leg and turning the corner. Johnson worked on top for several minutes before the referee stood them up, but Johnson spent the majority of the time winning in top position with Sylvia helpless to stand up under his own power.

The KOTC veteran went back to this strategy in the third round, but fatigue made securing the takedown harder to come by. After several stand-ups, Sylvia began to pour on the strikes, predominantely from the clinch. Johnson eventually ate a powerful knee before catching Sylvia's leg. Johnson dragged Sylvia to the mat where he ended up in half guard. A follow-up short elbow from Johnson landed on Sylvia, cutting the former champion immediately over his right eyebrow. After the blood began to poor, the bout was temporarily halted and eventually called off when the officials concluded Sylvia could no longer safely continue.

Johnson moves to 7-1 in his professional MMA career with his only loss coming to Daniel Cormier. Sylvia, however, drops to 31-9 with 1 no-contest.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I believe it is 265lbs.

But I'm not Ben.

[
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I believe it is 265lbs.