Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is offline
Waiting for June 6th
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,334
Default Nick Newell rebuts XFC claims, never agreed to title fight, opted out of contract



From MMAfighting.com:
Quote:
Hours after XFC president John Prisco stripped Nick Newell of the organization's lightweight championship, saying he was afraid to face top contender Scott Holtzman, Newell told MMA Fighting that he was taken aback by the announcement because he had never agreed to any kind of title fight, and had previously exercised an opt-out clause in his contract to declare free agency.

Newell said that he when originally signed with XFC, he agreed to a five-fight deal, but was given the ability to leave after three fights or one year. After being offered a championship match, he chose to take a fourth fight with the promotion, which he won, but opted out before a fifth bout in order to find more experienced opposition elsewhere with the hope of impressing the UFC.

"My contract is up and I chose not to go back to XFC," he said. "It's not about Scott Holtzman, certainly not. It's more so about me wanting to go somewhere that will guide me where I want to go. I want to go to the UFC. There was an interview with Dana White. I'm sure many people remember, and he said, 'Well, has he beaten anyone that was in the UFC?' And the answer's no, because I haven't had the opportunity to fight someone that was in the UFC. At 27 years old, I want to get to the top as soon as I can. No more playing around. I want to fight the guys who will get me where I want to be."

Newell said that after he opted out of his deal, XFC made him another financial offer, but Newell's camp turned it down because the money was too low. He said at that point, XFC promised to match an offer that Newell's camp had obtained elsewhere but his management team turned it down.

Regardless, Prisco went on to announce the matchup with Holtzman, which was penciled in for a June 14 event. Newell said he was surprised at that, but allowed his management to handle the situation. It ultimately ended with