Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-21-2013, 01:01 AM

Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson

Round 1:
Mike Beltran is the referee. Diaz pressuring Thomson right away. Thomson right away is using a lot of low leg kicks and on his bicycle. Thomson eats a head kick and keeps pressuring. Left hand scores at range for Diaz, but he eats another head kick. The two clinch and Thomson scores with a knee to the body on the inside. Now Thomson breaks free, but Diaz is all over him. Thomson ducks a punch from Diaz and scores two hard ones of his own. Diaz presses Diaz into the fence, but is taken down. Thomson is unloading on Diaz, but now the two stand.

Round 2:
Diaz swarms Thomson right away, but lands an accidental groin shot. The action resumes shortly thereafter. Leg kick scores for Thomson and now he has double underhooks pressing Diaz into the fence. Hard elbow and a right hand from Thomson, but Diaz responds with a left. Diaz takes Thomson to the floor, but Thomson stands and lands another hard elbow. The two circle and exchange a few shots before Thomson lands a head kick flush that stuns Diaz. Thomson follows up with punches that drop Diaz. Thomson continues his assault until Diaz goes back and base down, forcing a referee stoppage (as Diaz's corner throws in the towel).

Josh Thomson def. Nate Diaz with TKO (head kick, strikes) at 3:44 of round 2

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 AM

Frank Mir vs. Daniel Cormier

Round 1:
The referee in charge of the action is Herb Dean. Cormier opens orthodox, Mir is southpaw. Mir opens with range-finding kicks, but none land. Cormier stalking early, but hasn't thrown much. Cormier swarms, but eats a knee to the body for his efforts. Cormier lands two shots to the body and head against the fence. Cormier is tying up Mir while scoring quick, hard punches to the body over and over. Cormier backs off. Mir lands a short right, but Cormier presses him into the fence and goes back to work. Inside leg kick from Cormier stumbles Mir, but he recovers.

Round 2:
Mir lands a small outside leg kick. Cormier once again secures an underhook and presses Mir into the fence. Cormier lands several hard shots there, but ultimately steps away. Cormier lands a right hand and presses Mir back into the fence. Cormier back away once again. Mir lands a short right hand. Cormier is back to pressing Mir into the fence. Mir responds with a knee in the clinch. Two hard right hands by Cormier and Mir lands his own counter. Two-punch combo scores for Cormier plus a hard body shot.

Round 3:
Cormier eats a leg kick from Mir and attempts a takedown, but can't get it, but still manages to press Mir into the fence. Mir lands a hard body kick and a knee and it appears to have hurt Cormier a bit. Cormier lands another right hand at distance and re-initiates the clinch. Mir lands another body kick. Mir tries to pull guard off of a single leg takedown, but Cormier backs away and now presses Mir into the fence. The referee separates them and Mir tries a last-second flurry, but doesn't score much.

Daniel Cormier def. Frank Mir by unanimous decision 30-27, 30-27, 30-27.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:54 AM

I was very disappointed with the Mir fight. :(

I also thought Nate would do better.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
I was very disappointed with the Mir fight. :(

I also thought Nate would do better.
I was disappointed with Frank too, F34R. Before the fight started, my better half said "I wonder which Mir will show up tonight". Damn.

But except for that particular fight, I think it's been one of the best cards in a long time.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:28 AM

Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez

Round 1:
Referee in charge of the action is John McCarthy. Henderson opens southpaw, Melendez is orthodox. Leg kick lands for Henderson, but Melendez lands a jab and inside kick of his own. Left hand for Henderson snaps Melendez's head back. Melendez now in Henderson's guard after a Henderson slip, but Henderson working his way toward the fence. Henderson eats a knee for his efforts, but he's back up. Another hard leg kick from Henderson, but Melendez catches it. Henderson avoids the takedown and is now pressing Melendez into the fence. The two separate. Hard, chopping inside leg kick for Henderson. Melendez responds, but his wasn't as hard. Melendez catches a kick from and throws Henderson to the mat where he then lands a knee to the body. Left hook counter from Melendez finds the mark.

Round 2:
Melendez charging forward and winging shots, but mostly missing. Henderson scores with a knee, but circling into Melendez's powerhand. Henderson scores another knee to the body and stuffs a takedown attempt. Henderson jabs Melendez's thigh. One-two for Henderson partially scores. Henderson and Melendez exchange leg kicks and Melendez is still stalking. Henderson attempts a double, but can't even get close. Left hand for Henderson lands to the body. Both fighters trade punches in the center, but Henderson lands a knee. Then he eats a right, but Melendez eats several hard elbows. Henderson doing a lot of the stalking now.

Round 3:
The fighters trade lefts to open the round and Henderson lands a hard inside leg kick. Melendez with a shot to the body. Henderson switching stances now and drops Melendez with an outside leg kick, but Melendez climbs back to his feet. Now Henderson scores with an uppercut. Melendez lands a hard right hand and another. Henderson lands a short punch and then dives for a double. He temporarily gets it, but Melendez is fighting it. Melendez stands, but Henderson scores a knee to the body. Henderson with an outside leg kick. Left hand lands for Henderson, but Melendez stuffs a subsequent takedown attempt. Body kick lands for Henderson. Henderson clinches with Melendez and the two exchange wild strikes against the fence. Body shot for Henderson. Left hand for Henderson, but Melendez lands a leg and then body kick. Henderson drops Melendez with another leg kick.

Round 4:
Henderson lands a body kick. Another hard inside leg kick lands for Henderson. The clinch and both whiff on punches as they separate. Melendez lands a right hand and then stuffs a takedown attempt. Middle kick again from Henderson and he stuffs Melendez's shot. HARD outside leg kick from Henderson and he lands a knee plus stuff Henderson's shot. Left elbow scores for Henderson as he steps in. Left hand grazes Melendez's chin, but El Nino scores one of his own. Side kick from Henderson lands on Melendez's thigh. Henderson lands a kick on Melendez as Melendez throws and the Strikeforce champ slips. Henderson pounces, but can't keep Melendez down. ANOTHER inside leg kick from Henderson. Melendez lands two hard hard body shots and a right upstairs.

Round 5:
Middle kick for Henderson lands. Jumping switch kick misses for Henderson. Hard inside leg kick scores and it partially off balances Melendez. Melendez stalking hard, but so far can't get anything off. Left hand to the body for Henderson. Hard inside leg kick for Henderson finds the mark again. Left elbow thrown by Henderson, but misses. Melendez pressuring hard but not landing much and Henderson scores another leg kick. Middle kick caught by Melendez and he scores a right hand. Melendez throws and knee and it's harder than the one Henderson fired back. Right hand now by Melendez. Melendez more aggressive with his boxing and scoring.

Ben Henderson def. Gilbert Melendez via split decision (48-47 Melendez, 48-47 Henderson, 48-47 Henderson)

It was close but I didn't think it was a split decision, I thought he took 3 rounds. That said, I also was disappointed that Benson threw that cheap shot after the bell signaled the end of round 2.

Anyway, great night of fights, all in all.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 AM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo View Post
Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez

Ben Henderson def. Gilbert Melendez via split decision (48-47 Melendez, 48-47 Henderson, 48-47 Henderson)

It was close but I didn't think it was a split decision, I thought he took 3 rounds. That said, I also was disappointed that Benson threw that cheap shot after the bell signaled the end of round 2.

Anyway, great night of fights, all in all.
It was close, but I thought Melendez won the fight. And I agree that cheap shot by Bendo was pretty bad.

As for Frank, I wanted him to win and thought he could win. I was not impressed with Cormier tonight.

I picked Thomson to win and was pumped for what he did to Nate. I have been sold on Josh for awhile now and thought he beat Melendez last year.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
It was close, but I thought Melendez won the fight. And I agree that cheap shot by Bendo was pretty bad.

As for Frank, I wanted him to win and thought he could win. I was not impressed with Cormier tonight.

I picked Thomson to win and was pumped for what he did to Nate. I have been sold on Josh for awhile now and thought he beat Melendez last year.
i don't think either one of them really won that fight, but i guess gilbert might have eeked out three rounds , but i also think bendo did more in his two rounds than gilbert did in his three, but in the end, you really do need to beat the champ, it was gilberts job to win, and he really didn't
Old 04-21-2013, 01:28 PM

I thought it was a great night of fights! I was really entertained and enjoyed the majority of them. Frank's fight was hard to watch. He just didn't seem to have an answer to Cormier's grinding and dirty boxing up against the cage.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
I thought it was a great night of fights! I was really entertained and enjoyed the majority of them. Frank's fight was hard to watch. He just didn't seem to have an answer to Cormier's grinding and dirty boxing up against the cage.
I don't get why Frank kept letting himself get backed up against the cage in the first place? Frank looked to be in great shape and he's no shrimp so what's up with that?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I don't get why Frank kept letting himself get backed up against the cage in the first place? Frank looked to be in great shape and he's no shrimp so what's up with that?
mir was hurting him with those body kicks and he probably could have stopped dc if he kept throwing them ... but he just stopped ... DC is tough .... i would like to see him try and get down to 205, but i don't think he can and stay healthy ...

it was funny to see nate mouth off to thompson, call him a bitch and then get ktfo ... and to top it off, the other big bad boy from the 209, his brother threw in the towel .. LOL ...

oh and i think henderson won that fight ... 4 rounds to 1 .... melendez needs a better corner ... jake shields was awful .. same with nate ... nick just sat there looking across the cage ...

Last edited by rearnakedchoke; 04-22-2013 at 03:04 PM.