Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 AM
Student of the Sport

Default UFC suspends Matt Mitrione for remarks on transgender fighter Fallon Fox

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/8/...ndered-fighter

Quote:
Near the end of his appearance on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione went on an unsolicited tirade about transgender fighter Fallon Fox.

The reaction from his employer was swift. Late Monday afternoon, the UFC released a statement saying Mitrione has been suspended for violation of the company's code of conduct.

"The UFC was appalled by the transphobic comments made by heavyweight Matt Mitrione today in an interview on ‘The MMA Hour.'

The organization finds Mr. Mitrione's comments offensive and wholly unacceptable and - as a direct result of this significant breach of the UFC's code of conduct - Mr. Mitrione's UFC contract has been suspended and the incident is being investigated.

The UFC is a friend and ally of the LGBT community, and expects and requires all 450 of its athletes to treat others with dignity and respect."

Mitrione, who defeated Phil de Fries via knockout in 19 seconds at UFC on Fuel 9 on Saturday, was rattling off jokes about Fox on The MMA Hour when host Ariel Helwani asked Mitrione what he had against the transgender fighter.

"She's not a he. He's a he," Mitrione said. "He's chromosomally a man. He had a gender change, not a sex change. He's still a man. He was a man for 31 years. Thirty-one years. That's a couple years younger than I am. He's a man. Six years of taking performance de-hancing drugs, you think is going to change all that? That's ridiculous.

"That is a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak," he continued. "And I mean that. Because you lied on your license to beat up women. That's disgusting. You should be embarrassed yourself. And the fact that Florida licensed him because California licensed him or whoever the hell did it, it's an embarrassment to us as fighters, as a sport, and we all should protest that. The woman that's fighting him, props to you. I hope you beat his ass, and I hope he gets blackballed and never fights again, because that's disgusting and I'm appalled by that."
So do you think this was Matt's job to suspend him?

I listened to when Mitrione said it and thought he might get into trouble. You would think after Miguel Torres, Forrest, and Rashad getting into trouble for making inappropriate comments that others would learn, but apparently not
Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 AM

The "incident is being investigated"? Last time I looked, we still had freedom of speech although I realize that it only goes one way with the left. They won't be happy until they have a Department of Approved Speech.

I totally disagree with this decision. Have him take sensitivity training or whatever else but give me a break. He wasn't in a UFC setting when he made those remarks. I'm sure he has certain clauses in his contract but I believe he should be punished - NOT released. Big mistake, IMO.

I guess it's ok to joke about rape, etc., but not disparage a member of GLTB. I mean...seeing as Forest, Miguel and Rashad weren't fired.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 AM

Matt Mitrione wasn't fired, he was just suspended pending investigation. What I hope the investigation turns up is that Mitrione was discussing the fact "Fallon Fox" was born a man and was choosing to fight women when he used the strong language ""That is a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak," and that he wasn't commenting on the person's decision to get a sex change in that way.

If I were Meathead, that's how Id try to present my case anyway. Poor Meathead. Lots of people thought, he said it. He's the martyr here. Hopefully he'll just put out a video apology and be fighting again soon.

I'm also curious if this is something that Matt Hughes would have to deal with in his new job. Seems like from all the descriptions I've gotten that it could be.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dlee View Post
Matt Mitrione wasn't fired, he was just suspended pending investigation. What I hope the investigation turns up is that Mitrione was discussing the fact "Fallon Fox" was born a man and was choosing to fight women when he used the strong language ""That is a lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak," and that he wasn't commenting on the person's decision to get a sex change in that way.

If I were Meathead, that's how Id try to present my case anyway. Poor Meathead. Lots of people thought, he said it. He's the martyr here. Hopefully he'll just put out a video apology and be fighting again soon.

I'm also curious if this is something that Matt Hughes would have to deal with in his new job. Seems like from all the descriptions I've gotten that it could be.
Oh drat, I misunderstood. I take back my rant. Thanks for clarifying, 3dlee, my only excuse is I've been deliriously ill for close to 2 weeks and it apparently affected my reading comprehension.

I don't think he's a martyr, hardly. He just deserves to be punished like the rest of the big mouths who made totally inappropriate statements. I don't think Matt (H.) would be wild about dealing with this sort of thing.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16

Last edited by flo; 04-09-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Hailey's Dad

I still don't think he deserved any punishment. He didn't go on about gays being terrible people. His argument was that Fallon Fox has an unfair advantage fighting women since he's been a man his whole life with the natural physical advantages that gives.

I don't see a problem with his statements. He wasn't gay bashing. He was bashing the idea of a man beating up women.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post
I still don't think he deserved any punishment. He didn't go on about gays being terrible people. His argument was that Fallon Fox has an unfair advantage fighting women since he's been a man his whole life with the natural physical advantages that gives.

I don't see a problem with his statements. He wasn't gay bashing. He was bashing the idea of a man beating up women.
Well the problem is that he stated that Fallon's still a man. According to the LGBT community, once the snip/tuck's been performed we must refer to him as a "she". If we keep referring to him as a "he", then we are hateful bigots.

Also, to discuss him in any way that connects the word "disgusting" to him is even more hateful bigotry.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM

when you represent the ufc, you can't say dumb things .... whether you agree with what he said or not ... his delivery could have been better ... if they end up cutting him, i won't feel bad for the guy ... he made a dumb decision and used a poor choice of words ... he didn't get the nickname meathead for no reason .. LOL .. it all comes down to not hurting the business of the ufc ...
Old 04-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Hailey's Dad

Those gays are so sensitive.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by County Mike View Post

I think the "lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak" comment is what got him in trouble. I also think that the UFC is a little more careful nowadays as they have already had run-ins with the LGBT community and these comments aren't going to help.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 PM

If this had happened 10 years ago, I dont think anything would have been said to Mitrione. But now with the huge corporate sponsors and the Fox deal the UFC seems to be a lot more careful. I would go out on and a limb and say that the LGBT community probably doesnt make up a large percentage of their audience. But Sponsors and FOX are huge money for the UFC and they don't want to screw that up. For good reason.

IMO: Matt Mitrione is 100% correct in his thoughts. He made a mistake in speaking them though.