Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:18 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

Really good points, IP! I totally agree with you. I was hoping for something else as well and didn't watch much after the 4th round. I think he's a great role model and your point about being a superb athlete (rather than superb fighter) is spot on. I've always liked watching a good ground game and although GSP inflicted damage on Diaz in the earlier rounds, I don't recall that there was much P in his G&P in rounds 3 & 4. It was a snoozer (my dislike of Diaz probably colored that comment). I thought the FB prelims were much more exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
I've given up on the idea of watching GSP's fights live. I guess the technical people like to watch the technique, but I'm not a technical person, so I got bored of GSP's style and stopped watching his fights years ago.

Of course, now cue the GSP fans and their predictable arguments of "you don't know anything about MMA if you don't enjoy GSP's fights." Well, maybe I don't, but I do know what's entertaining and GSP is not that.
Yup.
__________________
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=339&dateline=13068036  43

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16

Last edited by flo; 03-17-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM
flo's Avatar
flo flo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 7,737
Default

Compare GSP's fights with the other weight classes; Jon Jones, Spider, Benson, JDS or Cain, Jose Aldo...well, there IS no comparison.

Heck, even that bozo Lesnar had more exciting fights.
__________________
http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=339&dateline=13068036  43

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:27 PM
VCURamFan's Avatar
VCURamFan VCURamFan is online now
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Basketball Capital of the World
Posts: 14,322
Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default

You know what the funny part is? To all the people who left mid-way through the 3rd, you missed the fun part of the fight!

Of course, it only got fun because GSP got bated into striking with Nick & 'cause Nick stopped a few sloppy takedowns. It was only when GSP stopped playing the GSP game that it got interesting.

The exception that proves the rule, as they say.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Irish Pride's Avatar
Irish Pride Irish Pride is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCURamFan View Post
You know what the funny part is? To all the people who left mid-way through the 3rd, you missed the fun part of the fight!

Of course, it only got fun because GSP got bated into striking with Nick & 'cause Nick stopped a few sloppy takedowns. It was only when GSP stopped playing the GSP game that it got interesting.

The exception that proves the rule, as they say.
Well that is interesting, that it got interesting when he stopped playing the GSP game. I'm not trying to ridicule him. It seems like everyone that replied to my initial post seems to share the same feelings as I do. I just still can't fathom why he is such a draw. I just did not think there were many technical fans out there. If he sees what he does is working, then there he must see there is no reason to change up his game plan.

Perhaps he is not a competitive person? I would think if he was competitive, he would strive towards finishes. To prove to himself that he can finish. But if he is just concerned with winning and not finishing, then he is accomplishing that. I guess one could make the argument that there are different degrees of competitiveness, winning and winning by finishes.

I read this tweet over on the Sherdog website, not the forum part.
Tonight, GSP set the UFC record for most consecutive time without a finish, with his 150 min topping Jon Fitch's 145 min 12 sec 2007-2011.
Todd Martin (@ToddMartinMMA)

Not sure if it is true or not but it looks true.

When I watched the recap show on FX or Fuel and they had Chael, Cruz, and that other guy there was hardly anything to recap in terms of footage. This was expected though. However, I was hoping that they could talk about something that would enlighten me on GSP's draw. They spoke about his take downs but did not speak of GSP's inability to do much at all after getting the take down. They spoke about GSP's jab as his range finder, but left out GSP's inability to do much damage striking wise. The majority of the coverage centered on Diaz not being able to stop the take down and not being able to keep GSP on his feet. But what about GSP's inability to do much of anything while he was atop Diaz?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:11 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
Well that is interesting, that it got interesting when he stopped playing the GSP game. I'm not trying to ridicule him. It seems like everyone that replied to my initial post seems to share the same feelings as I do. I just still can't fathom why he is such a draw. I just did not think there were many technical fans out there. If he sees what he does is working, then there he must see there is no reason to change up his game plan.

Perhaps he is not a competitive person? I would think if he was competitive, he would strive towards finishes. To prove to himself that he can finish. But if he is just concerned with winning and not finishing, then he is accomplishing that. I guess one could make the argument that there are different degrees of competitiveness, winning and winning by finishes.

I read this tweet over on the Sherdog website, not the forum part.
Tonight, GSP set the UFC record for most consecutive time without a finish, with his 150 min topping Jon Fitch's 145 min 12 sec 2007-2011.
Todd Martin (@ToddMartinMMA)

Not sure if it is true or not but it looks true.

When I watched the recap show on FX or Fuel and they had Chael, Cruz, and that other guy there was hardly anything to recap in terms of footage. This was expected though. However, I was hoping that they could talk about something that would enlighten me on GSP's draw. They spoke about his take downs but did not speak of GSP's inability to do much at all after getting the take down. They spoke about GSP's jab as his range finder, but left out GSP's inability to do much damage striking wise. The majority of the coverage centered on Diaz not being able to stop the take down and not being able to keep GSP on his feet. But what about GSP's inability to do much of anything while he was atop Diaz?
i think he is a draw, because people like watching winners ... plain and simple ... do i think gsp is fighting safe ... yes .. but he is still dominating ... not losing rounds ... 3 of his boring decisions have been fight of the nights, even though he won all 15 of those rounds ... because he totally shuts his competition down and they can't fight back, that is what makes him so great ... in the end its all about wins ... and thats what gsp does .. wins ...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 PM
NateR's Avatar
NateR NateR is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
in the end its all about wins ...
Tell that to Tim Sylvia. It seemed that the more title defenses he won back in 2006-2007, the more people hated him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:17 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Tell that to Tim Sylvia. It seemed that the more title defenses he won back in 2006-2007, the more people hated him.
people just hated tim sylvia .. LOL .. he had 2 title defenses ... he was the guy saying stuff like, he'd fake an injury if he didn't fight in the main event etc ... i understand people hate gsp and want to see him lose, but its a fight in there .. no one is facing the kind of competition that gsp is ... he has been fighting the best non-stop since being in the championship picture ... he is not going for the finishes, but he is winning every round .. if he was getting split decisions every time, or whatever, that is something else ...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,480
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
people just hated tim sylvia .. LOL .. he had 2 title defenses ... he was the guy saying stuff like, he'd fake an injury if he didn't fight in the main event etc ... i understand people hate gsp and want to see him lose, but its a fight in there .. no one is facing the kind of competition that gsp is ... he has been fighting the best non-stop since being in the championship picture ... he is not going for the finishes, but he is winning every round .. if he was getting split decisions every time, or whatever, that is something else ...
I will admit that I never cared much for him even from the beginning. And I didn't mind that he was somewhat lackluster. But I'm frustrated with the fights now. I want to see him in a good fight, win or lose, so we can move on. His fights are like Bill Murray in groundhog day. If you seen one then you've seen 'em all.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 PM
rearnakedchoke rearnakedchoke is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
I will admit that I never cared much for him even from the beginning. And I didn't mind that he was somewhat lackluster. But I'm frustrated with the fights now. I want to see him in a good fight, win or lose, so we can move on. His fights are like Bill Murray in groundhog day. If you seen one then you've seen 'em all.
if i know that, and you know that and all of the fighter know that, how is it not possible that someone hasn't beaten him by now ... most guys can't even win a round ... he is better than everyone at pretty much every aspect ... he stood with diaz for half the fight and diaz still did nothing to win a round
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Neezar's Avatar
Neezar Neezar is offline
SupaDupaMod
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South
Posts: 6,480
Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
if i know that, and you know that and all of the fighter know that, how is it not possible that someone hasn't beaten him by now ... most guys can't even win a round ... he is better than everyone at pretty much every aspect ... he stood with diaz for half the fight and diaz still did nothing to win a round
then why can't he finish a damn fight?




lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.