Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 07-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSxhLj0UGOw

Tasting the first fruits harvest, including strawberries and gooseberries of the inherited stock
Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goeclu1_zUM

An allotment Status report
Old 08-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Q1NwKrOJE

I think someone has vandalized my red current bush
Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 AM

Looks like a lot of work, Dave, but your fruit looked beautiful. I like sweet strawberries and other fruits as well.

Who is Sue and is this land you garden, yours? Is it near your home?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Looks like a lot of work, Dave, but your fruit looked beautiful. I like sweet strawberries and other fruits as well.

Who is Sue and is this land you garden, yours? Is it near your home?
Sue is Mother

During the second world war the Government tried to get people to become self-sufficient...they called it "Dig for Victory" ever sinse then it is written in law that the local council must provide a certain amount of land for public cultivation of fruit and vegetables.

In Harrogate there is about six sites...we call them "Allotments" each site has measured squares of land. Some of them are run by the council, and some the council sold to private owners, but both do the same. They rent out the plotts of land to normal people.

Sadly, there is a VERY long waiting list...it took Sue and I THREE YEARS to get a plott.

The Allotment is at North Outfall, which is almost exactly between Markenfield and Mornington. For Mother it takes about ten mins if that by car...for me its something a little different...it takes me an hour to walk from work to the allotment, and a further fourty mins to walk from my allotment to home...it ends up being a round trip of about three-four miles

I walk to work in the morning, a mile, thirty five moments, then I walk the entire ringways all the way to the entrance to the gorge, another mile, and then I break off through the fields to arrive at north outfall. Once I leave the allotment I travel down the bilton corridor, through Knox...and then I have to cross a dairy farm and I come out near the round about woodlands, and its easy home from there.

I visit the allotment on Wed and Thurs pm after work...sometimes on a Monday, and always on a sunday Sue goes Monday, Tuesday, Wed and Sunday also. No one does Friday or Saturday
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Har...ngdom&t=m&z=14

If you look on the map, there is a yellow round a bout on a yellow marked road in the upper left of the map. I live basically off the page after that round about. if you look across towards the right you will find Willow Wood...the allotment is close to there. Now look above that and you will see bilton woods and the gorge its marked Viaduct wood, and you see the line coming out of that wood, that line goes down the whole map, bending to the lower left where it bisects that yellow road...well, again, off the map is the start of that line, where I work.

In the morning, I just walk right up that yellow road...its called Skipton Road.

Last edited by Tyburn; 08-09-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Sue is Mother

During the second world war the Government tried to get people to become self-sufficient...they called it "Dig for Victory" ever sinse then it is written in law that the local council must provide a certain amount of land for public cultivation of fruit and vegetables.

In Harrogate there is about six sites...we call them "Allotments" each site has measured squares of land. Some of them are run by the council, and some the council sold to private owners, but both do the same. They rent out the plotts of land to normal people.

Sadly, there is a VERY long waiting list...it took Sue and I THREE YEARS to get a plott.

The Allotment is at North Outfall, which is almost exactly between Markenfield and Mornington. For Mother it takes about ten mins if that by car...for me its something a little different...it takes me an hour to walk from work to the allotment, and a further fourty mins to walk from my allotment to home...it ends up being a round trip of about three-four miles

I walk to work in the morning, a mile, thirty five moments, then I walk the entire ringways all the way to the entrance to the gorge, another mile, and then I break off through the fields to arrive at north outfall. Once I leave the allotment I travel down the bilton corridor, through Knox...and then I have to cross a dairy farm and I come out near the round about woodlands, and its easy home from there.

I visit the allotment on Wed and Thurs pm after work...sometimes on a Monday, and always on a sunday Sue goes Monday, Tuesday, Wed and Sunday also. No one does Friday or Saturday
You should buy a cheap, used bicycle. It seems like you are spending a lot of time walking. A bike would get you to your destination faster and still give you exercise.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Whilst that is true, I decided against it for several reasons. Firstly in England you are not really supposed to cycle on the pavement, which is why everyone takes their cycling proficiency test whilst in school...I failed mine twice

Secondly, for obvious reasons this is a summer time thing only. As eventually it will be dark in the afternoon BEFORE I leave work, the main time for doing this is only 6 months of the year...we have maybe a month and a half left, before I am restricted to sundays and mondays only.

By next year I hope to have permanent transport, so I dont need to worry about future summers

Finally...walking is better then cycling I think

I do actually still have a plantation in my own back garden which will be finished at the end of this year and moved permanently to the allotment...but here is an update on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y7ADqlK4hA
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvuX38ZFLx0

The latest from the Allotment I have a very big lettuce
Old 08-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d07JbXH54nI

White currents, new paths, and cabbage White Butterflies!