Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 10-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Default EBOLA

This story out of Dallas, TX just keeps getting worse and worse. Now they are saying they are watching or looking at 100 people who might have been exposed to this man from Liberia. Also the Liberian government says it will prosecute this man for lying on forms in order to fly out of Liberia.

Seems like a lot of lying might be going on. Where are Amy and Neezy...is the CDC telling us the straight story about EBOLA?

I hope the man makes it and all of the people he exposed, but I am glad they will prosecute him. They say he told hospital staff when he first went to the ER in Dallas that he came from Liberia, but I don't think he mentioned he was directly exposed to Ebola from a woman he helped in Liberia who ended up dying. The hospital screwed up for sure by letting him go home once he told them he was from Liberia, but that piece of information about being exposed to that woman with Ebola was a "big" piece to leave out!

I think they should at least limit people (unnecessary) flying out of Liberia/other EBOLA stricken areas right now. What do y'all think? Especially since they say they won't have this vaccine ready for another year.

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-02-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
This story out of Dallas, TX just keeps getting worse and worse. Now they are saying they are watching or looking at 100 people who might have been exposed to this man from Liberia. Also the Liberian government says it will prosecute this man for lying on forms in order to fly out of Liberia.

Seems like a lot of lying might be going on. Where are Amy and Neezy...is the CDC telling us the straight story about EBOLA?

I hope the man makes it and all of the people he exposed, but I am glad they will prosecute him. They say he told hospital staff when he first went to the ER in Dallas that he came from Liberia, but I don't think he mentioned he was directly exposed to Ebola from a woman he helped in Liberia who ended up dying. The hospital screwed up for sure by letting him go home once he told them he was from Liberia, but that piece of information about being exposed to that woman with Ebola was a "big" piece to leave out!

I think they should at least limit people (unnecessary) flying out of Liberia/other EBOLA stricken areas right now. What do y'all think? Especially since they say they won't have this vaccine ready for another year.
If you ask me...they should be closing their boarders to ANY flights from Africa until this is over...in fact, someone should be making sure NO planes are leaving any country with cases in it period

The Man himself should be prosecuted for lying on the forms to travel, for with-holding information at the hospital, and should be charged with manslaughter for anyone who dies as a direct result of his contact twix boarding the plane, and the first visit to the Hospital, and charged with Murder for anyone who dies as a direct result after the first visit to the hospital...he MUST have known by then what he was carrying...he'd have to be a retard not to...thats not negligence, that is deliberately spreading a fatal disease!!! Where I come from, if you deliberately spread a fatal disease, its murder.

Secondly, the Hospital is equally retarded...if he admitted to coming from an Ebola region, and he has those symptoms, WTF else do they think he has??? Even under the better to be safe then sorry they should have kept him in...I think anyone that contracts and survives the disease post the visit to the hospital should be entitled to compensation...because I have no medical training period...and I would know better then to send that person home, when he tells me where he has come from, lists the symptoms...and its known to be an epidemic in the region.

If this gets out into the general populas, it could be really nasty...PLEASE stay away from that area of Texas Bonnie and Amy aswell, if she is still around that State...

If it starts to spread...take a holiday, immediately, to Alaska or something No...I'm sure it wont spread outside of whichever city that hospital is in...but I seriously would not go anywhere near that city until after Christmas...just to make sure everyone who has got the disease has displayed and either died or recovered.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
If you ask me...they should be closing their boarders to ANY flights from Africa until this is over...in fact, someone should be making sure NO planes are leaving any country with cases in it period

The Man himself should be prosecuted for lying on the forms to travel, for with-holding information at the hospital, and should be charged with manslaughter for anyone who dies as a direct result of his contact twix boarding the plane, and the first visit to the Hospital, and charged with Murder for anyone who dies as a direct result after the first visit to the hospital...he MUST have known by then what he was carrying...he'd have to be a retard not to...thats not negligence, that is deliberately spreading a fatal disease!!! Where I come from, if you deliberately spread a fatal disease, its murder.

Secondly, the Hospital is equally retarded...if he admitted to coming from an Ebola region, and he has those symptoms, WTF else do they think he has??? Even under the better to be safe then sorry they should have kept him in...I think anyone that contracts and survives the disease post the visit to the hospital should be entitled to compensation...because I have no medical training period...and I would know better then to send that person home, when he tells me where he has come from, lists the symptoms...and its known to be an epidemic in the region.

If this gets out into the general populas, it could be really nasty...PLEASE stay away from that area of Texas Bonnie and Amy aswell, if she is still around that State...

If it starts to spread...take a holiday, immediately, to Alaska or something No...I'm sure it wont spread outside of whichever city that hospital is in...but I seriously would not go anywhere near that city until after Christmas...just to make sure everyone who has got the disease has displayed and either died or recovered.
I'm not clear on if he planned this trip AFTER he was exposed, but he had to have known he was exposed when he helped that woman, why else would he lie on that form at the airport? He certainly should have mentioned being exposed in Liberia his first time to the emergency room. And yes, someone royally *up'd at the hospital; supposedly whoever he initially told that he came from Liberia never told a doctor, but who knows, people could just be covering their butts. This man exposed several children of the family in addition to adults and these children went to school, 5-6 different schools. By not telling the whole truth when he first went to the hospital ER, he made things so much worse for himself and he endangered so many more people. It went from just several people possibly being exposed to them tracking 100 now. The CDC says people don't need to panic because you can't get it if the patient is asymptomatic at the time, but how do they know if this couldn't mutate into something more easily spread at some point? Look at what's taken place recently here with this new strain of this Enterovirus.

It has hit just about every state and has made so many children so sick, with some even experiencing paralysis, and some deaths have occurred. It started right after all the kids started back to school and seemed to spread like wildfire. They say they've never seen this kind of severity with it before.

Quote:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/1...rs_choice&_r=0

The rapid, nationwide spread of the enterovirus 68 respiratory infection is unlike any previous outbreak of the disease public health officials have seen.

Q.

Why is this outbreak so different than others? Is the virus evolving?

A.

Absolutely. It is evolving. A hypothesis of mine is that the strain thatís circulating now probably is a novel variant. It may have mutated into something thatís more easily transmissible and more pathogenic. The virus is mutating, and there are a lot of different variants circulating around the globe.

We donít know much about this particular strain because that data to my knowledge hasnít been released yet by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But enteroviruses do change over time fairly rapidly. If you look at the strains that were circulating in the past, the strains from 10, 15 or 20 years ago, theyíre very different genetically.
I understand they don't want the public to panic when these things happen, but the CDC can only guarantee what they think they know....

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-03-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:51 PM

I forgot to mention that the family members who this man was staying with are under armed quarantine; supposedly they were not adhering to the request that they not leave their apartment and have contact with others so now they are under armed guard for 21 days. Given the situation I don't have a problem with that at all.

They said the linens, sheets and towels, that were used by the sick man are still in the apartment and they are trying to figure out how to get the apartment properly cleaned with the family there. The company that does this type of thing didn't have the proper permit to dispose of these items so they are working to get that.

Speaking more broadly of restricting people's movements, here's something that is interesting that was mentioned on the news yesterday about the Obama administration This article is from April 2010 from USA Today:

Quote:
The Obama Administration has quietly scrapped plans to enact sweeping new federal quarantine regulations that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention touted four years ago as critical to protecting Americans from dangerous diseases spread by travelers. The regulations proposed in 2005 during the Bush administration amid fears of Avian Flu, would have given the federal government additional powers to detain sick airline passengers and those exposed to certain diseases. They also would have expanded requirements for airlines to report ill passengers to the CDC and mandated that airlines collect and maintain contact information for fliers in case they later needed to be traced as part of an investigation into an outbreak.
Anytime an administration does something "quietly" it should raise eyebrows and questions. Why would this administration reject something that would protect Americans? President Obama is the regulation president and is definitely for expanding government so why reject these particular regulations that could protect America?

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-03-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:04 PM

A 4th U.S. citizen has contracted EBOLA in Africa; he's a cameraman who has been covering this story there.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...ola-in-liberia

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

My worry is that this virus goes airborne...that would be a REAL worry...because we KNOW these sort of diseases can easily mutate....

and children as well
Old 10-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
so why reject these particular regulations that could protect America?
Protect Americans? Nah, our President wouldn't be interested in something like that.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Protect Americans? Nah, our President wouldn't be interested in something like that.
Yep, I agree. They were reporting earlier that the White House was saying we can't ban or restrict flights out of that part of Western Africa because it would hurt the economies of "those" countries. If EBOLA was happening in Israel, do you think Obama would be worried about banning flights out of Israel...oh wait, he did that recently when Hamas was sending bomb after bomb into Israel and Israel fought back. Yeah, I'd say our President seems more concerned with protecting those who pose the most danger to us rather than protecting our best interests. He's proven it over and over and over....

A week after Obama was on tv telling us we had all kinds of steps in place to keep EBOLA from coming to our shores, this man from Liberia gets through his airport by lying on a form that asks about EBOLA, flies to Brussels, flies on to Dulles Airport in Washington D.C., and then finally to Dallas, TX where he finally becomes symptomatic, goes to the hospital, is sent back home only to get sicker before arriving back at the hospital after he's exposed numerous people by this time. To make matters even worse, family members that were exposed are walking around and sending their children to 5-6 different schools.

I don't even believe the CDC or the President about "all these steps in place and how we are "ready"...." Even if that were true, as was proven by this Liberian man, we could have all the steps in place necessary, but if someone lies in order to get into our country, all those steps don't mean squat! There was failure after failure in this case, all human.

I heard someone say something tonight, this person said that the Obama Administration is probably going to give this man the ability to stay here now given the Liberian gov't said it's going to prosecute him, and I bet he's right, if this man lives and Obama stays true to form that's exactly what's going to happen.

Last edited by Bonnie; 10-05-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Exactly.

The visas from Liberia are still handed out like candy - they aren't even attempting to stem the flow much less stop incoming flights. It's unconscionable but no surprise.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Bad news people!

Another person has gone down with suspected Ebola in Texas...and its not good news. We know that Ebola isn't that easy to catch, you usually have to have first hand contact with bodily fluids from an obviously ill person. (this isn't the case with most contagious diseases!)

Naturally then, when the original Vector was discovered, the authorities seemed to focus on those who may have had direct contact.

The new case is someone who has not had direct contact with the Vector, but did know members of the family, and had been in the Vectors apartment. What bothers me is three things

1) it is likely that somehow the new case was infected by the original vector even though direct contact never happened

2) it looks possible that the new case contracted the disease from another member of the family...which is odd because even if that other family member had the disease, until the display, the disease is not supposed to be contagious

3) it looks possible that the new case contracted the disease from the geographical location of the Vector at some point in the past. This is worrying for two reasons, first, what friend of the family, could pick up bodily fluids on a visit to the vectors house without him being present? secondly, the disease does not live long in left over accidental deposits of bodily fluids once outside of the vectors body, thirdly..it makes me worry that the disease has mutated into some type of air borne thing, where the vectors presence and direct contact are not required....if that was the case, theoretically, any one who had been in the house would have the disease, and no one would know how many until a possible 21 days later due to incubation periods...now if we find as well as that, that the disease can be spread whilst incubation is occuring (like, for example, influenza) then...ladies and gentlemen...we are looking at a large number of people infected, right now, totally unaware...until the first set of Vectors become symptomatic around Halloween.