Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 02-07-2013, 01:15 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar
Default *&^%@$ stupid laws

Have they nothing better to do?! I'm sure the US is next on this.

Kids Banned from Birthday Tradition

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/aus...nlwYWdl;_ylv=3

Celebrating birthdays at school just got a little less fun for kids in Australia. New guidelines issued Tuesday by the country's National Health and Medical Research Council say that children can no longer blow out the candles on cakes at school because doing so spreads too many germs.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 PM

they shoulda got rid of this tradition long ago ... thats just gross .. LOL ..

and we never did candles in school anyway ... musta been fire code or something ..... and although they had bobbing for apples on halloween, i stayed away from that too!!!!! yuck!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post

Celebrating birthdays at school just got a little less fun for kids in Australia. New guidelines issued Tuesday by the country's National Health and Medical Research Council say that children can no longer blow out the candles on cakes at school because doing so spreads too many germs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearnakedchoke View Post
they shoulda got rid of this tradition long ago ... thats just gross .. LOL ..

and we never did candles in school anyway ... musta been fire code or something ..... and although they had bobbing for apples on halloween, i stayed away from that too!!!!! yuck!
There's a simple solution, cupcakes, just put a candle on the "birthday" one. Birthday cake and bobbing apples is the least of the germs we'll encounter...shopping carts, and have you ever been to a buffet? I saw a program once where they had tested the serving utensils from buffets...you don't even want to know! It's making me sick just thinking about it!

Last edited by Bonnie; 02-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:

That's totally ridiculous. Don't you want kids to be exposed to germs early on to help build up their immune system as adults?

This is an insane level of government micromanaging and I'm pretty sure it's one of those laws that will NEVER actually be enforced, so it's pointless for it to even exist in the exist in the first place.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:

But if they dont blow the candles out...when the candles burn down, they will set the cake on fire, and kill the kids with smoke inhilation.

I think a far better idea is to issue every kid at birth with his very own candle snuffer

Not meaning to be rude...but Australians are strange anyway...they're all decendants of a British Penal Collony
Old 02-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Candles? Our schools you aren't allowed to bring in cake or cupcakes any more because of health issues....let alone candles.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
That's totally ridiculous. Don't you want kids to be exposed to germs early on to help build up their immune system as adults?
This is an insane level of government micromanaging and I'm pretty sure it's one of those laws that will NEVER actually be enforced, so it's pointless for it to even exist in the exist in the first place.
Exactly. It turns my stomach seeing the wonderful and unique Australia becoming something of a nanny state. They've always been known as a rough-and-tumble, can-do place - like Alaska - where men are still allowed to be manly and women don't want to be men. A country known for it's common sense and ability to be self-sufficient and tough. Sad to see it change.

Rejoice ever more. 1 Thessalonians 5:16
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Why would you think they wouldn't enforce it? Maybe they've got an Obama too.

Last edited by Bonnie; 02-07-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
Why would you think they wouldn't enforce it? Maybe they've got an Obama too.
Mainly because I doubt local police would be patrolling children's birthday parties.

The only way I see this law being enforced is if some overprotective mom's child gets sick at a birthday party and she files charges against the birthday kid's parents for allowing them to blow out birthday candles. You know it'll happen eventually.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Mainly because I doubt local police would be patrolling children's birthday parties.

The only way I see this law being enforced is if some overprotective mom's child gets sick at a birthday party and she files charges against the birthday kid's parents for allowing them to blow out birthday candles. You know it'll happen eventually.
Oh, I thought you were talking about the school officials not enforcing it. Are you talking about schools or private parties?