Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Entertainment

Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan
Default BREAKING: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII!

I'm shocked no one's posted this yet!

Quote:
Star Trek Into Darkness helmer J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII for Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm, reports TheWrap. The site says that Ben Affleck was also in contention. Back in November, Abrams commented on the possibility of him directing and it sounded like it wasn't happening:

"Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time. I frankly feel that Ė I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didnít have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"

TheWrap adds that Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams for the director's chair for a while.

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney and Lucasfilm are planning a new trilogy with a new movie coming every other year.
(Photo Credit: Starbux / WENN.com)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately, he's also saying that the movie might not make it out by 2015:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...=entertainment

Which is fine, I'd rather they take their time and make the best movie they can rather than try to rush it out.

Also it looks like the 3D rereleases of Episode 2 and 3, that were supposed to come out this year, have been postponed indefinitely:
http://starwars.com/news/focusing-on...nd-iii-3d.html

As for the actual news of Abrams as the director, I'm optimistic that this might end up being pretty cool.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

Which is fine, I'd rather they take their time and make the best movie they can rather than try to rush it out.

Also it looks like the 3D rereleases of Episode 2 and 3, that were supposed to come out this year, have been postponed indefinitely:

As for the actual news of Abrams as the director, I'm optimistic that this might end up being pretty cool.
Agreed. I did see one reaction from a disgruntled fan that said something to the effect of "O, this is just great! Why don't we go ahead & just combined Star Wars & Star Trek into one giant franchise called Lens Flares in Space!!!"
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Official Announcement: J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Wars: Episode VII

Quote:
The story broke early on Thursday, but now Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm have officially confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII! The statement reads as follows:

Quote:
J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

"It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie," said Kennedy. "J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture."

George Lucas went on to say "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor," J.J. Abrams said. "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have a proven track record of blockbuster movies that feature complex action, heartfelt drama, iconic heroes and fantastic production values with such credits as Star Trek, Super 8, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, and this year's Star Trek Into Darkness. Abrams has worked with Lucasfilm's preeminent postproduction facilities, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, on all of the feature films he has directed, beginning with Mission: Impossible III. He also created or co-created such acclaimed television series as Felicity, Alias, Lost and Fringe.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

J.J. Abrams Talks Star Wars: Episode VII

Quote:
As announced last week, J.J. Abrams will be bringing "Star Wars" back to the big screen with Star Wars: Episode VII. We're probably still a few years away from seeing anything from it, but Abrams is excited about working on the film and is committed to making this a movie we all want to see (via E! Online).

"It really is an incredible thing, It's wildly surreal. It's obviously way too early to talk specifics, but I'm excited to actually start it."
Abrams did give his goal for the film in an interview with The Huffington Post.

"I can just say what I want to do: I want to do the fans proud. I want to make sure the story is something that touches people. And we're just getting started. I'm very excited."

Star Wars: Episode VII is scheduled to hit theaters in 2015. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney and Lucasfilm are planning a new trilogy with a new movie coming every other year.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Student of the Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

I'm glad they are holding off on the 3D versions of Episode 2 and 3. I saw Episode 1 in 3D and was not impressed (Jar Jar had no impact on my opinion )
Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint13 View Post
I'm glad they are holding off on the 3D versions of Episode 2 and 3. I saw Episode 1 in 3D and was not impressed (Jar Jar had no impact on my opinion )
I didn't even bother to watch Ep1 when it came out in 3D.

I'm kind of hoping that they still plan to release the original trilogy in 3D, but I completely understand if they feel that they need to focus on the new movies.