Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 11-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default To The Ends Of The Earth - Pannal

So this week I did some more walking, and will post the results in here for anyone who likes to explore the British countryside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IJqKJ7kDvU
Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 AM

What is the "ringways"...are these paths or roads that connect Stonering and Pannal? Who owns this land where you are walking? Is it natural areas for public use?

Last edited by Bonnie; 11-26-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
What is the "ringways"...are these paths or roads that connect Stonering and Pannal? Who owns this land where you are walking? Is it natural areas for public use?
The Ringways is supposed to be a trail which goes round the entire town and Knaresborough aswell. In theory I could start at Stonerings, and go right round the town following this path and end up back where I started.

I know parts of the Ringways well...like where it runs through the Nidd Gorge and Birk Craggs...but other parts...like the part that connects Hookstone to Birk Cragg Im still investigating...and this is part of that investigation...I do a little bit more every time im on holiday.

The path itself is a public footpath, so the land will be owned by Harrogate Borough Council...but what usually happens is that this path goes through cracks between residential properties, or goes along the side of fields owned by farmers, sometimes the paths even go right across farmland...thats why you must stick to the path...coz its basically an aggreed route across someones property
Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEyjW5ZLYMg

Here is the next part
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQF5aKLnwZI

I finally reached Pannal
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEznKnlyp8A

On leaving Pannal I head towards Almscliffe...I never reach it because the path swings away from it...BUT Almsford Craggs is a famous beauty spot apparently, one near Harrogate but beyond the Ringways path....never mind, coz I do find a duck pond with tame duckies that eat right out of my hand
Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNsLhMHrbg

I got bad vibes from this pine forrest i tell you
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM

"More mud..."

How long (miles) was this walk in total, Dave, do you know? Any other wildlife in this area along your walk, other than the ducks (beautiful mallard btw!)?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf35E7XlZNo

Last video for now...and I run out of light before reaching my destination and have to be diverted so to speak
Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
"More mud..."

How long (miles) was this walk in total, Dave, do you know? Any other wildlife in this area along your walk, other than the ducks (beautiful mallard btw!)?
The full ringways is twenty miles Most of that will be Nidd Gorge, The Knaresborough Round, Hookstone Woods, and Birk Cragg...all of which I know...well...I got about half of Knaresborough Round...what I dont know is how these independant areas are connected to one another. For Example, Hookstone is pretty much South Central Harrogate. Birk Cragg is pretty much due west of Harrogate...I dont know the route between Hookstone and Birk Cragg...well...I know some of it...which is what you can see above....the trails leaves Hookstone and crosses Hornbeam Park industrial estate, and passes Saint Michaels Hospice to arrive in the residential area of Fullwithmill. Cross Leeds road, and you enter the Stone rings residential area, the trail then heads south down almford banks, and further west to Pannal, then south past the ducks to the forrest of bad vibes, and then north through bull fields...but then I lost the light and had to crash land in Rossett residential estate...this is only half way...somehow the path goes on from there to arrive at otley road...cross otley road is RHS Harlow Carr Gardens, and on the other side of that is Birk Cragg

Birk Cragg ive covered completely...but it joins to Oak dale, and oak dale comes out onto Killinghall Moor...I've done the lower part of killinghall moor, because after that you reach the Jennyfields Residential Estate...and I live at the most northen tip of that.

Beyond me North is the roundabout Woodlands which I have covered...but then you swing west and somehow you get from their to the Gorge...no idea how...but the Gorge, which ive gotten to through the Greenways path which is in the centre of town and leads out to the gorge..ive done, completely. You go all the way through the gorge from west to east and pop out at Knaresborough. The route then joines the knaresborough round, which goes in a loop around knaresborough between burgess bridge in the gorge, and abbey road...I've done the front half of that...but not the bit that goes around beyond Knaresborough. Then...somehow...and I have NO IDEA about this...you go from abbey road in Knaresborough, and go all the way to stonefall park...then through the showground, et voile, you find yourself in crimple beck and Hookstone woods just beyond.