Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 11-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Default Chaplian To The Fighters

You know I was thinking

In a lot of large multinational companies, particularly capitalistic ones that are very expensive, will aim to provide services for their employees. One of which is often the service of "Chaplain" an ordained minister which is available within the establishment, sometimes only once a week or once a month, sometimes everyday....Most of our Government services, and the Civil Service will also have Chaplains...so you'll have Prison Chaplains, Military Chaplains etc.

I wonder if the UFC has ever given thought to having a Fighter Chaplain...especially as a lot of Fighters often talk about it spiritually speaking even when they dont profess to be at all religious in terms of established faith.

I was thinking of ways in which the UFC could do this, because obviously the fighters are spread out over the entire world and largely separate outside of an event. I suppose you would have to have the base at the Headquarters in Nevada, im sure that they could create one room for a small chaplaincy.

Then you could have the minister taken to every event, and turn a room of the venue into a chaplaincy for say the week before the event or something.

IDK...maybe its a really dumbass thing to have made a thread about...but sometimes everyone needs to be able to talk about their work and stress to someone...I mean, the chances are the UFC already have some kind of counselling service for fighters....if they dont, they really oughta...it would be a little like an enhancement to that....

just a thought
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

apparently its really taken off in Football and rugby over here
Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 PM

no .. there is an attack on Christianity here in North America and this would never fly ...
Old 11-21-2012, 04:20 AM
Stump Rules!

Just fight!

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM

I don't know, Dave, at the rate the F-word comes flying out of Dana's mouth, can you imagine if he were around when the chaplain is there...

Plus, what if he/they don't approve of cage fighting?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 AM

There are plenty of churches in nearly all denominations anywhere they go in North America at least. The availability is generally there if they need it.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Stump Rules!

One day at church in Orange County one of the pastors did his whole sermon based on a choke hold and wore a TapOut shirt too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post

http://stumpdotcom.com/
Old 11-24-2012, 02:50 PM
7X Prediction Champ !!!!!

Dave MMA is not a team sport in the traditional sense. I think a fighter would be wise to add one to his or hers support team if they were followers. And I agree a company guy for the UFC would be nice but difficult to pull off because he vast differences in faith these days. But a chaplain at a show there to talk to the guy who just got beat on the undercard and may have trouble paying the bills and is real bad off, it would be really nice.

I would love that gig.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Chris F View Post
Dave MMA is not a team sport in the traditional sense. I think a fighter would be wise to add one to his or hers support team if they were followers. And I agree a company guy for the UFC would be nice but difficult to pull off because he vast differences in faith these days. But a chaplain at a show there to talk to the guy who just got beat on the undercard and may have trouble paying the bills and is real bad off, it would be really nice.

I would love that gig.
Well thats sort of what I was thinking. Just a Minister employed, or paid a small stipend, to be available on fight night/between Weigh-ins and Post fight press conference...incase someone needs to talk.

The "Vast differences in faith" is certainly not something the UFC are under any obligation to sift through. In an Eccumencial perspective, the Chaplains are not there to replace the church pastors of the individual fighters...if you are for example a Presbyterian, and the Chaplains a Roman Catholic, then that doesnt mean that you cant use the Chaplin in an emergency...nor does it mean that each fighter must reject all their denominational worths...its complimentary to spiritual imput they should already be getting if faithful...and a port of call for anyone, who maybe doesnt have faith, but simply needs to speak. I know the Universities become ridiculous, they have a Roman Catholic Chaplin, a Church of England Chaplain, heavens, what next? A Greek Orthodox Chaplain?? I know in some Hospitals, they have a Chaplaincy Centre, with several different churches basically seconde members to it and they work in partnership...but I'm not suggesting anything like that at all!

I think the only time it would get difficult is, if in response to the employment of a Christian Chaplain, a Fighter of a foreign Faith were to lobby the UFC to employ, I dont know, and Islamic Chaplain or something...but the chances are that the employment of a Chaplain will be largely under-used, and so not warrent the outrage...chances are noone will go speak to the Chaplain, so he will have to just be a "presence" so to speak, and then, maybe over the course of a year or so, some fighters may speak to him in passing...but probably he wont get searched out, if that makes sense.

Perhaps introduce him at a fighter summit, pay him a stypend, but a reduced one bearing in mind, the company would be paying for his travel and accomodation...perhaps have two, a male Roman Catholic, and a Female Protestant, and ulternate events...only ever paying the stypend to one at a time, if that makes sense...its only two days friday and saturday...IDK...

I just wondered if they'd ever thought of it...maybe the top brass are just a bunch of heathen, who knows
Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
I don't know, Dave, at the rate the F-word comes flying out of Dana's mouth, can you imagine if he were around when the chaplain is there...

Bonnie its like any other job...a Chaplain is almost always either an NSM...Non-Stypendary Minister, or MSE, Minister in Secular Employment. Therefore they will have to apply for the job, just like a normal secular person...so someone who didnt approve of mma, or was offended by Dana Whites mouth need not apply in the first place