Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > UFC

Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 AM
atomdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Why is everybody counting Anderson out already? I think he would stand a fair chance. At least as much as the guy who RJJ beat last weekend. If he has some time to start transitioning his striking into the boxing world I think he has a chance.
Ehhh, why would you give him as much of as chance as Omar Sheika?

Omar has well over 30 pro boxing fights(27 - 9), and has been in boxing title fights,
probably been boxing most of his life.

I don't count Anderson out completely, but I don't think a boxer could come into MMA with no fights and beat the equivalent of RJJ.
I just think striking in boxing is completely different than MMA and RJJ has a lifetime of experience and expertise on Anderson.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 AM
Miss Foxy

[QUOTE=atomdanger]Ehhh, why would you give him as much of as chance as Omar Sheika?

Omar has well over 30 pro boxing fights(27 - 9), and has been in boxing title fights,

I don't count Anderson out completely, but I don't think a boxer could come into MMA with no fights and beat the equivalent of RJJ.
I just think striking in boxing is completely different than MMA and RJJ has a lifetime of experience and expertise on Anderson.[/
QUOTE]
Oh so true.. And vice-versa.. I think Anderson would be tired after round 2. Very different worlds. Im not being a hater just a realist...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Anderson won't be able to grab the back of his head and knee him in the face. He will be out of his element and Jones will quickly exploit any fundamental weakness in his boxing. Jones is one of the best boxers this world has seen, and whiles he's no spring chicken, the man is still solid. In the boxing world, Omar Sheika gets much more credibility than Anderson Silva.

I remember when I was young and Michael Jordan said he was going to play baseball. A part of me wanted to see him lead the White Sox to a World Series, but then I came back to reality.

I think if Anderson was going to be a successful boxer, he would have been discovered long ago and he would have stayed on that path. Just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger
Ehhh, why would you give him as much of as chance as Omar Sheika?

I just think striking in boxing is completely different than MMA and RJJ has a lifetime of experience and expertise on Anderson.
I don't think Omar is much of a fighter personally but that's another post

I don't think Anderson will win but I do think he CAN win... I guess that's the point I was trying to make. It's not like he's some guy out of the crowd at a boxing match. He is used to combat, he knows how to train, he's a professional athlete, he has striking skills.... he may not make it past the 3rd or 4th round but anything can happen in a boxing match. It only takes 1 punch so imo.... he has a chance.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I don't think Omar is much of a fighter personally but that's another post

I don't think Anderson will win but I do think he CAN win... I guess that's the point I was trying to make. It's not like he's some guy out of the crowd at a boxing match. He is used to combat, he knows how to train, he's a professional athlete, he has striking skills.... he may not make it past the 3rd or 4th round but anything can happen in a boxing match. It only takes 1 punch so imo.... he has a chance.

I will give you that completely, it does only take one punch, and Anderson is no doubt a highly trained athlete.

I would love to see this fight happen, but as far as Silva winning, I just don't see it happening.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:18 AM

if it was even a kickboxing match anderson would beat down rjj even in his prime

he stands no chance in a boxing match though
Old 03-26-2009, 08:46 AM
warriorlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj44
if it was even a kickboxing match anderson would beat down rjj even in his prime

he stands no chance in a boxing match though
I dont see why everyone gets so hyped about Roy Jones Jr these days, he is past it. Calzaghe beat him convincingly, hes reduced to his own promotions to fight for titles that no one cares about, that just happen to be vacant.

Silva will beat his tail today, tw years what ever.

If we were talking about the fight being a few years ago, then yeah silva may struggle.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:01 AM
WAR CARDINALS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorlion
I dont see why everyone gets so hyped about Roy Jones Jr these days, he is past it. Calzaghe beat him convincingly, hes reduced to his own promotions to fight for titles that no one cares about, that just happen to be vacant.

Silva will beat his tail today, tw years what ever.

If we were talking about the fight being a few years ago, then yeah silva may struggle.
Yeah, Cal beat him, but that is a fight that should have happened years ago. Besides, nobody is taking anything away from Calzaghe, he would beat crap out of Silva in a boxing match too.

Jones is still solid, still has great movement, and still hits hard. He is not as quick as he once was, but he is still far ahead of Silva in terms of experience.
I would not say Jones has been "reduced" to anything. He is a legend, and if he wants to continue to fight, he should. A lot of fighters suffer tough losses towards the end of their careers, but as long as a fighter is still able to fight well and not putting himself in danger to just make money, there is nothing wrong with taking some tune-up fights. Fighting Omar was probably a lot more about putting on a promotion in his hometown rather then winning another title that he probably don't even have room for on his mantle anyway.