Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 02-15-2010, 12:19 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConcretekid View Post
thats really insulting...Amy told me there were free hospitals or clinics around or something...and she said that they wouldnt turn away someone who was actually dying...I find this incredibly...distasteful...even if you were a supporter of some kinda NHS for the U.S. that poster...there is something really wrong with that.

ohh...and good point about the NHS vs population numbers. The only way they could effectively do an NHS would be on a state by state level I reckon
Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

Yes, lack of access, because not everyone can afford it, but forcing everyone to buy insurance policies with high co-pays would make access to healthcare even worse. Suddenly the money that people might have been able to save up for themselves, goes into an insurance company who requires even more money if the policy holder actually gets sick. Or the insurance company could just come up with any reason whatsoever to drop coverage on the person.

For instance, if I can only afford a cheap health insurance plan and I need to go in for heart surgery (I have a history of heart disease on both sides of my family, so this is more than a hypothetical here), the insurance company will still require me to pay $2500 or more for the co-pay before they do ANYTHING. So, now I've been spending $100 a month for an insurance policy that is completely useless to me when I need it.
I think that the high deductible plans can be a good choice in many situations. For example, if you have to go in for a CABG and don't have insurance, the bill is going to be in the tens of thousands of dollars. If you have a complication, such as a surgical site infection, the cost of the hospitalization will easily top one hundred thousand dollars. If you have a nightmare complication, like a post-op stroke, the bill could approach one million dollars. Paying a $2,500 deductible is painful, but for almost everybody, it could be a manageable expense (you may have to work out a payment plan with the hospital). However, most people couldn't pay a $100,000 or $1,000,000 medical bill, even if they have a healthy "rainy day" fund. High-deductible insurance helps prevent a catastrophic expense that would bankrupt most people.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Do you think retired veterans should get their health care as it is now set up with the VA or should they abolish it and make them work to get their health care?
I think that veterans should have their health care covered.

I have never heard it discussed, but what if they scrapped the VA system and sold off the assets (hospitals, clinics, medical equipment) and instead paid for the veterans to have "Cadillac" health plans with private insurers and use private or university hospitals? I have never seen a cost analysis of such a proposal but I would think that it would compare favorably with the current system, which has to support a huge bureaucracy.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:53 AM

In surveys I have read, about 85% of people are satisfied with their healthcare. I don't think the whole system needs to be changed; however, there are certain issues in health care that need to be reformed - pre-existing conditions, insurance portability, catastrophic expenses, outrageously high COBRA fees, tort reform, coverage for poor children, coverage for severely disabled people, insurance companies declining care, etc. I wish that instead of a huge, expensive overhaul of the system, Congress would keep the current system intact and make targeted reforms addressing the issues I mentioned above.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
Everyone has prioriteis with their money. People choose not to have healthcare it is not kept from them. It i snot hard to get a policy from an underwriter that is not much more expenisive then a work plan. Many even have pay plans to cover only what you tthink you will need. SO there is no real excuse. The lack of healthcare is as big of a myth as global warming. I live below the poverty line and I still have insurance because I know I need it and sacrafice somewhere lese to pay for it.
I think you make a good point. I would bet that if you did an audit of some of the people claiming that they can't afford health insurance, you would find expenses such as: a pack-per-day smoking habit ($3,000 + per year), cable television ($50-$100 + per month), a car less than 4 years old (Tens of thousands of dollars), an iPhone ($2,000 if you include 2 years of service), a laptop computer ($1,000), . . . (you get the point)

I am all for paying for healthcare for poor children, disabled people, veterans and people who are truly living in poverty; however, I don't want to pay for people who don't budget their money and instead spend it on luxuries or frivolous things. I am not against people having the expenses that I mentioned above; however, if you can afford those things, you can afford health insurance.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:05 PM
CAVEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
In surveys I have read, about 85% of people are satisfied with their healthcare. I don't think the whole system needs to be changed; however, there are certain issues in health care that need to be reformed - pre-existing conditions, insurance portability, catastrophic expenses, outrageously high COBRA fees, tort reform, coverage for poor children, coverage for severely disabled people, insurance companies declining care, etc. I wish that instead of a huge, expensive overhaul of the system, Congress would keep the current system intact and make targeted reforms addressing the issues I mentioned above.
Totally agree. A person can go bankrupt trying to pay COBRA fees!! My mom paid some outragous fees for awhile after my Dad passed away.