Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Matt Hughes

Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default BLOG: Lawler Knocks Out Manhoef

From Matt's blog:

Quote:

Spent my last week in Florida with Matt Pena and Hoggie getting Robbie ready for his fight on Showtime. When we all get together it's a good time no doubt about that and it was nice to get away from the cold weather and spend some time in southern Florida. A lot of people are asking questions on what Robbie's game plan was and I will say that the game plan wasn't to get kicked in the leg about 15 times and then knock him out. We wanted to take the fight to the ground, wear him out a little bit and then maybe the second or third round Robbie could stand with him if he wanted, but Melvin did a good job of keeping distance. When Melvin was within takedown range he was always throwing or kicking, the only time he wasn't throwing or kicking he was just too far away to get ahold of. Every time Robbie flinched like he was going to come towards him, Melvin just backed off. So Robbie never felt comfortable putting a good attempt in to take Melvin down. With all that was going on I'm glad Robbie was able to keep his head and sit back and think about what he'd seen while watching Melvin's fights on YouTube. Robbie was able to remember something that was a key to the victory: #1 Robbie needed to get Melvin in close so he could put his hands on him. He tried playing possum twice before to see if Melvin would come in for the finish. #2 after watching Melvin fight on YouTube, he realized that Melvin liked to drop his hands when he was going to finish somebody. So it was a good fight and a good victory for Robbie. Melvin also had a good game plan, throwing a lot of those fast powerful kicks, it's just that Melvin got caught making the same mistake that he has in the past and Robbie was able to capitalize on it. So all in all it was a great trip and I had a good time with my buddies and got some training in. Right now I'm about 2 months out, so my training and my diet will step up. Here shortly I will start morning runs and full week practice. I also have to set my date for going out to Salt Lake City to train with Jeremy.

A couple of weeks ago I went out to the Shot Show in Las Vegas. My buddy Pat Flanigan was out there and also all of the new guns and hunting equipment that will be new for 2010. As all of you know I love the outdoor industry so the 2010 Shot Show was something I was looking forward to. It's also a great place to meet up with all of my friends in the industry. Browning brought me out there but I also sat with Otis, Advanced Armament, and US Optics. So when I wasn't busy sitting in the booth, Pat Flanigan and I were able to walk around and look at all the cool new stuff. Here's a video that I found of Pat and I leaving the Otis booth:
http://outdoorchannel.com/player.asp...260819-1264560

Training is going good, I feel pretty healthy and I'm looking forward to a good hard week.

Here is the Bible verse for this week:
Quote:
When the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul. (Ezekiel 18:27)
-matt
Old 02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
CAMPO

Yay

go - fight - win...
Old 02-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Great blog! I love hearing the insights about what the gameplans are/were & how they were followed/adapted. It's like getting to watch the "Making of..." documentaries on DVD special features!!

(yes, I know I'm a nerd! )
Old 02-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Twinsmama

woohoo!!! Those leg kicks were making me cringe! You could see the hurt on his face on a few of them. Robbie is a toughy..
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Great job getting Robbie ready. I was watchign with a group of people and they were remarking on the sound those leg kicks made. Some of them had never seen Robbie fight and were saying that the fight was almost over. I said "just wait jsut wait you don't understand how hard Robbie hits" and jsut about then CRACK he put MM down. I was jumping around the room high fiving them and i think Robbie gained 5 new fans in that moment. I hope his leg heals fast.
Glad to hear you had a good time, Matt. It was cool seeing you and Pena on TV and how excited you were at the end of the fight.

We're wishing you all the best as you start the heavier training. Go get em Matt!

[
Old 02-01-2010, 08:11 PM
hughesfan4life

yay robbie!.awesome fight.hope your leg heals quick!......supporting the hit squad from bonnie scotland!!!!.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

im so chuffed I mentioned it in my weekly blog too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhETvC1nvYs

...what was that about adapting a gameplan...do you wanna repeat that Matt..I dont think Ben or Denise understood first time round
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Allons-y

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
im so chuffed I mentioned it in my weekly blog too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhETvC1nvYs

...what was that about adapting a gameplan...do you wanna repeat that Matt..I dont think Ben or Denise understood first time round
O, I heard Matt mention that Robbie changed his gameplan. I just didn't hear the part where he said it was because of Melvin's kicks, liek you seem to think:

http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=16