Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 01-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Jessi

Default Insulin pump/Diabetes

I know I'm not on here enough, but I couldn't think of a better group of people to ask. I was just informed by my doctor yesterday that they will be starting the process of getting me set up with an insulin pump. I have been battling type 1 diabetes along with my crohn's for about 5 yrs now. My checkup showed that I am officially a 9.9 on the 10 scale. I started out around a 7 and within the last year I have done nothing but go up. My fasting sugars alone can range about 250-370...which is NOT good. I tried controlling it with multiple insulins and medications as well as dieting but with no luck.

My question for you lovely forum members is: How many of you have diabetes or have to wear a pump?? Can anybody give me some tips regarding the insulin pump?? And any other information I may want to know before I am given one would be great as well!! And please, share your story if you would like......

I am not really upset as I am frustrated. I have to take care of myself and if that means wearing this pump, well so be it!! Like I have told my facebook friends....I will treat it as if its the newest fashion accessory!!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

I have friends who wear pumps and have patients who wear pumps. They actually love having them after living the life of multiple insulins and multiple injections with each meal and at bedtime. I think once you get the hang of it and adjust to the new routine, you'll be happier and healthier. I know it's hard. One of the girls at my gym wears a pump and just takes it off when we roll. I know when her sugar is off cuz she always kicks my butt if she's in a normal range and the only time I have a chance is when she's weak from being low or high. She's awesome. Feel free to PM me, girl.

~Amy
Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM
SupaDupaMod

Send a message via Yahoo to Neezar

Jessi, I have a friend at work who has an insulin pump (had it for years) and is doing great with it. I will see her Saturday and ask her for some input to pass on. If there are any specific questions that you want me to ask, let me know. You can put them here or pm me.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Jessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I have friends who wear pumps and have patients who wear pumps. They actually love having them after living the life of multiple insulins and multiple injections with each meal and at bedtime. I think once you get the hang of it and adjust to the new routine, you'll be happier and healthier. I know it's hard. One of the girls at my gym wears a pump and just takes it off when we roll. I know when her sugar is off cuz she always kicks my butt if she's in a normal range and the only time I have a chance is when she's weak from being low or high. She's awesome. Feel free to PM me, girl.

~Amy

Thank you! I am slowly getting more and more excited about the whole thing. Just for the simple fact that I won't know what to do when I don't have to constantly monitor myself as much as I do now. It will definitely be a relief to know that I will feel way better than I have felt the last couple of years. Plus I can actually be more active and enjoy the spring and summer this year. I can't tell ya how mad I was that I didn't get to go golfing very much this past year b/c I was just so weak. Not sure if the hubby will be more happy or annoyed when I feel good enough to join him on the course!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Jessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neezar View Post
Jessi, I have a friend at work who has an insulin pump (had it for years) and is doing great with it. I will see her Saturday and ask her for some input to pass on. If there are any specific questions that you want me to ask, let me know. You can put them here or pm me.
Not really sure what questions to ask. My mind is spinning around so much that I haven't a clue where to start...haha. Any helpful tips that she might have would be great, since it seems she has had plenty of experience
with using the pump. Thanks so much!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:37 AM
mscomc

Hi Jessi, Im maclom, nice to meet ya.

Although I am not a medical doctor, a fair chunk of my graduate research has been on insulin receptor activty for diabtetes patients (both type 1 and 2). I can't give to much info on life with the pump, but in my lab we also try to give type 1 patients ways to bring their sugars back down, so they dont need to rely on the pump so much, and dont need as much insulin. You mentioned you tried dieting. That is good, but alot of people just assume that reducing your carb intake is enough, when many times there are other powerful tools to help. Heres a few.

1) to better improve your glucose tolerance, talk to your doctor about taking in about 150-300 micro grams of chromium.

2) Increasing your fiber significantly (upwards of 30 grams) has been show to really stabilize high blood sugar. But since you have Chrons as well, this may be contraindicated if you are having alot of flare up, so talk to your doctor.

3) A less commonly know thing that may work is niacinamide, also known as nicotinamide. Depending on how early you start administering this in patients, it may protect your pancreatic cells and there is some evidence that it can increase beta-cell (insulin cell) regeneration. But of course, speak with your doctor.

---- Just a few things that i hope may help. Good luck with everything