Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Politics

Old 01-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwright View Post
actually Nate the only thing some people are saying is that having access to guns by everyone out there simply has to add to the crime problem in some way...its just not logical to think other wise.
Of course it's logical because that's what the evidence shows. Crime tends to be lower in areas with more legal gun owners.

It's logical because criminals are more likely to prey on those who can't defend themselves than those who can.

If your idea was true, then a town like Hillsboro, where gun ownership is probably somewhere between 70-90% would be crime-ridden hellholes. Well, as someone who lives here, I can tell you that the exact opposite is true. And it's not just Hillsboro, I can name plenty of small towns in Illinois, Missouri, Texas and New Mexico where legal gun ownership is high and crime is low.

If you really pay attention, then you will see that crime is highest in high population areas with strict gun control laws. So, logically, you can say that restricting legal access to guns causes higher crime rates in areas with a high population density.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
bradwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Of course it's logical because that's what the evidence shows. Crime tends to be lower in areas with more legal gun owners.

It's logical because criminals are more likely to prey on those who can't defend themselves than those who can.

If your idea was true, then a town like Hillsboro, where gun ownership is probably somewhere between 70-90% would be crime-ridden hellholes. Well, as someone who lives here, I can tell you that the exact opposite is true. And it's not just Hillsboro, I can name plenty of small towns in Illinois, Missouri, Texas and New Mexico where legal gun ownership is high and crime is low.

If you really pay attention, then you will see that crime is highest in high population areas with strict gun control laws. So, logically, you can say that restricting legal access to guns causes higher crime rates in areas with a high population density.
I grew up in a small town Nate and believe it or not gun ownership was probably between 90-99% (it couldn't have been a 100% because there were no guns in my house growing up) and out side of a few fights breaking out amongst the neighborhood kids once in a while i dont remember there ever being any crime...its not the small towns that are the problems...its the city's that are the problems for the most part and i'm not sure how the laws are different from small towns to big cities in the US but they are no different from small towns to big cities here in Canada and crime is way higher in the city i live in so you are right there is no direct relation between having guns and crime but there is a indirect one and thats all some people are trying to say.
but to tell you the truth i'm not sure what all the fuss is about,
you guys already have plenty of gun laws down there and no matter what happens you will always have plenty of guns in the hands of your citizens.
In Canada we have some very restrictive gun laws yet there are guns all over the place and even though i have never owned a gun i could purchase one any time i wanted so stop worrying its almost impossible to take your right to own guns away its been tried up here and it didn't work.

I know you think i'm against gun ownership because i dont own any myself but thats simply not true...i have handled and used a lot of guns in my life and i know they are a useful tool i just choose not to have them around my house but i dont think you or anybody else shouldn't have them if thats what you want.
i was just simply trying to help you see what some people might be thinking and why they may want access to guns restricted a bit...not that i agree or disagree.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:15 PM
timmyja

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post

Absolutely, a couple of thugs would think twice about snatching a purse from an old lady if they had to think twice about whether or not she had a .38 snubby that she knew how to use.

Cities like Chicago and Washington DC are prime examples. Tougher gun laws, but somehow the criminals still have them in great abundance.

On another note, I FINALLY turned in my application for my concealed carry permit. I don't know if its because of the new administration, but there were SEVERAL other people in the courthouse doing the same.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
Why would I think you were exagerating I'm sure thats lovely, but its not the way we roll in England
So are your criminals less violent than ours? Or are they less bold?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTUCKYREDBONE View Post
So are your criminals less violent than ours? Or are they less bold?
probably less bold
Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 AM
KENTUCKYREDBONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyburn View Post
probably less bold
That may be a good thing! Over here the law has to worry about all kinds! From steroid monsters to crack heads! We also believe that a law officer without the means to enforce his authority will soon loose it! Now in our small towns sometimes you will have a Sheriff or somebody that's well enough liked that most folk's they deal with didn't want to give them trouble but that was more because they were so well liked and respected than out of fear! Still though if unarmed it could have made it more dangerous for them to deal with the criminals that come down from the big city!