Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > Christianity

Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 AM
Administrator

Default Wednesday Bible study.

Tonight we (the mens group) listened to Tony Evans. Nate and I saw Tony live in St louis earlier last summer at Men At The Cross. He has a really good message about transferring blessings to you and through you to your disciple. One of the things I like about him is he uses alot of sports analogy, it helps people like Chuck and I. Here is a link to Men At The Cross http://www.menatthecross.org/ Just click on Our Motivation.

2 Timothy 2:2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For what I received I passed on to you...
Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

I thought that you didnt like long answers
Boomer is fricking HOT!!!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Administrator

He was definitely one of my favorite speakers at last year's Men at the Cross and Mark and I sat through A LOT of speakers that weekend.

He made a comparison on the effectiveness of discipleship during the 9/11 attacks, which was kind of jarring, but it illustrated his point perfectly. Because Islamic terrorists discipled young men so effectively that they were able to carry out such a horrific attack. It was also a conviction on the American church, because if the forces of Hell can disciple men to carry out unspeakable evil, then why can't the forces of good disciple men to carry out GOD's Will?

All in all a great speaker, even though I'm not nearly as big a fan of sports analogies as Mark is.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Tonight we (the mens group) listened to Tony Evans. Nate and I saw Tony live in St louis earlier last summer at Men At The Cross. He has a really good message about transferring blessings to you and through you to your disciple. One of the things I like about him is he uses alot of sports analogy, it helps people like Chuck and I. Here is a link to Men At The Cross http://www.menatthecross.org/ Just click on Our Motivation.

2 Timothy 2:2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For what I received I passed on to you...
I took my son to MATC here in Tampa this summer and it was good. I knew some of the organizers so I had access to the speakers lounge so I was able to meet and visit with all of the presenters. It was really cool. Shortly after MATC I began disciplining Christian which has been an adventure!

Tony Evans is at the top of my list of Pastors.. I admit I haven't listened to him in a few years but when I do I always enjoy it.

Here are a few pics from the event....

This guy painted this picture with his hands.... like actual hands.. no brushes.. it was awesome!

Christian and I with Joe White the founder of MATC
Old 01-07-2010, 12:13 PM

I attended Promis Keepers 2 years in a row with men from my church in IN and found it really interesting. How do these events that you are referring to, compare to Promise Keepers. Are they similar events?
Just curious

[
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamafighter View Post
I attended Promis Keepers 2 years in a row with men from my church in IN and found it really interesting. How do these events that you are referring to, compare to Promise Keepers. Are they similar events?
Just curious
All we did was play the dvd of Tony at the event. If you are interested I think you can get one.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
All we did was play the dvd of Tony at the event. If you are interested I think you can get one.
okay thanks.

[
Old 01-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Chuck

Quote:
I'm interested!!!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I'm interested!!!!!
I just found their Youtube channel with some cool vids about the events. This reminds me a lot of PK. Bringing men together to be better Christians, husbands, fathers, etc.
Dr. Tony Evans has some good vids too.

[