Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
billwilliams70

Default Free Standing Heavy Bag

I'm thinking about getting one of these:

Not this particular one, but one like it. What I want to know is....does the base get in the way of foot movement? Since the base is closer to the fighter than the bag is, the fighter can't get as close to the bag.

Before anyone throws other suggestions at me (like in another thread), let me explain somethings. I don't want one that has it's own stand that you can't rotate around and I can't get a hanging bag because we live in on-post housing and I can't affix it to anything.

Thanks for the help.

Later.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
I'm thinking about getting one of these:

Not this particular one, but one like it. What I want to know is....does the base get in the way of foot movement? Since the base is closer to the fighter than the bag is, the fighter can't get as close to the bag.

Before anyone throws other suggestions at me (like in another thread), let me explain somethings. I don't want one that has it's own stand that you can't rotate around and I can't get a hanging bag because we live in on-post housing and I can't affix it to anything.

Thanks for the help.

Later.
Why you gotta go trashing my thread, dude?

I've used a similar based-beavy bag before (a Wavemaster) & was non-plussed. It wasn't terrible, in that it easily did its job & was stable (assuming you fill it with the proper amount of sand/water), but it wasn't outstanding either. As it's your only option, I think it's a good way to go. I can't remember ever stubbing my toe on the base (which seems to be your concern). If you think about it, your arms about about 2-3 feet long, meaning that you'll be circling about 2-3 feet away from the bag, so the extra 2-3 inches that hte base extends from under the bag isn't a big deal.

Just my 2 lincolns, though. If others have a good reason procon, I'd listen to thme over me!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 AM
billwilliams70

Nah, not thrashing your thread....just the knucklehead (lack of valid) responses that's all.

I actually think that I could still hang one from the rafters.....I just can't screw anything into the wood that's all.......I just toss the chain OVER the rafter and I'm good. It might not turn as good as if it were on a bracket, but it's still there for me to hit.

Later.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:51 AM
MMA, VCU, & Doctor Who

Send a message via AIM to VCURamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilliams70 View Post
Nah, not thrashing your thread....just the knucklehead (lack of valid) responses that's all.

I actually think that I could still hang one from the rafters.....I just can't screw anything into the wood that's all.......I just toss the chain OVER the rafter and I'm good. It might not turn as good as if it were on a bracket, but it's still there for me to hit.

Later.
That sounds like a solid prospect. As long as you leave enough slack in the chain loop, it should be able to spin pretty easily. I'd go with that if I were you.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 PM
billwilliams70

^Word.