Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > Training/Nutrition

Old 12-19-2009, 03:41 PM
surveyorshawn

Default New to Boxing

A guy originally from the Czech Republic recently started offering training in boxing at our gym. Ironically, his name is Drago, lol. I went this morning for the first time. I must say, it requires completely different endurance and fitness than jiu-jitsu. I can roll for hours, but got winded pretty quickly boxing and working the bag. I had tons of fun and can't wait to train again! Unfortunately it will have to wait until after the holidays, since I am headed to North Carolina now to spend Christmas with my sister. I will try to do some stuff to up my conditioning for the boxing while I am gone. Any suggestions? Of course she has no equipment, so I just need stuff I can do by myself.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
A guy originally from the Czech Republic recently started offering training in boxing at our gym. Ironically, his name is Drago, lol. I went this morning for the first time. I must say, it requires completely different endurance and fitness than jiu-jitsu. I can roll for hours, but got winded pretty quickly boxing and working the bag. I had tons of fun and can't wait to train again! Unfortunately it will have to wait until after the holidays, since I am headed to North Carolina now to spend Christmas with my sister. I will try to do some stuff to up my conditioning for the boxing while I am gone. Any suggestions? Of course she has no equipment, so I just need stuff I can do by myself.
mma warehouse and title.com karatedepot for gear. for things to do on your own run and run and run some more
Old 12-20-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyorshawn View Post
I started about 5 years ago and love it. I find that when I've done anything involving clinching or ground I have the same fatigue. They each require a different sort of muscle explosiveness and dexterity. Glad you're doing it. foot work foot work and more footwork is the key to progressing.
Good luck!

[
Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 PM
WAR CARDINALS!

Running, jumping rope, and shadow boxing are all good things you can do with not much equipment.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Miss Foxy

Lot's of jump roping, shadow boxing, and jogging. Also make sure to do lots of stretching before and after..
Old 12-21-2009, 03:23 PM

oh and core excercise like planks are really good.

[
Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Crisco

I always say that rope and sparring beat running anyway.

In my opinion road work is good for a warm-up.

when it comes to combat sports, it's all about sports specific training. Practice movement in your spare time shadow box and skip.

When your in the gym I live by 5 rounds of good sparring is better then 25 mintues of jogging anyday.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Jason 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisco View Post
I always say that rope and sparring beat running anyway.

In my opinion road work is good for a warm-up.

when it comes to combat sports, it's all about sports specific training. Practice movement in your spare time shadow box and skip.

When your in the gym I live by 5 rounds of good sparring is better then 25 mintues of jogging anyday.
agree
Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Robertboxerboy

In the gym I help coach at (yes i am 16, but i also have been boxing since i was 9) we do a thing called "speed rounds". We hit a bag but you can do it like shadow boxing. Just throw 1s then 2s as fast as you can with out stopping for a minute then a Minute off, (if you wanna really get into shape, go one minute on 30 secs off). Keep me updated on your boxing progress!