Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > MMA

Old 02-13-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes_GOAT
it's up to them to a point. just because they may think they're fine, doesn't mean they are. it helps if they have support from people that can see they possibly need help and to then help them get it. i don't know if they have that?
Well, they first need to admit they need help. After that, if they don't have a good support system, they have to look for it. People can point out to you that you're headed in the wrong direction or try to show you the right way, but you have to be willing to listen, to learn and to change the course you've been on. None of that's easy and some people just don't want to do what it would take to turn things around for themselves. They want that "immediate" result and if they don't see it, they're too ready to throw in the towel with every excuse as to why it didn't work.

They can have all the help in the world, but in the end, they have to want it in order for things to change and for it to stick.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:05 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Well, they first need to admit they need help. After that, if they don't have a good support system, they have to look for it. People can point out to you that you're headed in the wrong direction or try to show you the right way, but you have to be willing to listen, to learn and to change the course you've been on. None of that's easy and some people just don't want to do what it would take to turn things around for themselves. They want that "immediate" result and if they don't see it, they're too ready to throw in the towel with every excuse as to why it didn't work.

They can have all the help in the world, but in the end, they have to want it in order for things to change and for it to stick.
and Junie has admitted he needs help. War Machine is still a question. a lot of these guys are too ashamed to ask for help (if they even realize they need it) and just do what is safe, comfortable and common for them, and that is to act out.

my point is and alsways has been, do they have anyone to help support them? how many times have you heard someone make a miraculous turnaround in life say, "if it wasn't for so and so" or "i could have never made it without the help of" or "when i couldn't believe in myself, he or she did?"

if more people took the extra time to talk to someone or just listen to someone, the world would be a better place.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
and Junie has admitted he needs help. War Machine is still a question. a lot of these guys are too ashamed to ask for help (if they even realize they need it) and just do what is safe, comfortable and common for them, and that is to act out.

my point is and alsways has been, do they have anyone to help support them? how many times have you heard someone make a miraculous turnaround in life say, "if it wasn't for so and so" or "i could have never made it without the help of" or "when i couldn't believe in myself, he or she did?"

if more people took the extra time to talk to someone or just listen to someone, the world would be a better place.
Goat, I think we're on the same page but coming at it from different directions--kinda like the saying..."what comes first, the chicken or the egg". I agree they are going to need outside help (they obviously can't do it on their own (some people can, but most can't)). It's great if you have someone in your life who you can turn to, someone to say they believe in you, etc..., but if you don't, and you want to change, you're going to have to make it happen yourself. That's all I'm saying.

I don't know that these guys do have those type of people around them, I hope they do. Look at Roger Huerta and his story with his teacher adopting him--an example of what you were talking about. I think for them to be successful it's going to take both--their desire and people in their life to help them. How's that?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Hughes_GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie
Goat, I think we're on the same page but coming at it from different directions--kinda like the saying..."what comes first, the chicken or the egg". I agree they are going to need outside help (they obviously can't do it on their own (some people can, but most can't)). It's great if you have someone in your life who you can turn to, someone to say they believe in you, etc..., but if you don't, and you want to change, you're going to have to make it happen yourself. That's all I'm saying.

I don't know that these guys do have those type of people around them, I hope they do. Look at Roger Huerta and his story with his teacher adopting him--an example of what you were talking about. I think for them to be successful it's going to take both--their desire and people in their life to help them. How's that?
if they're rational/sane, then they should be able to make their own decisions. i'm not confident that if they were given a thorough mental health evaluation they would be though. that's the part that gets missed. these guys may not even be sane?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
if they're rational/sane, then they should be able to make their own decisions. i'm not confident that if they were given a thorough mental health evaluation they would be though. that's the part that gets missed. these guys may not even be sane?
Well, there is that. Like you, I'm not sure about War Machine after some of the things he said while on TUF. And, Junie, big ? there too. I've heard Chris Leben was supposedly getting his life together and then you hear he doped, hmmm?

I do know one thing, all three of these guys need to stay away from alcohol.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Blessssssssssssss Andreas has come over to the dark side of emotional investment at last

...and I got thats myspace bulletin aswell...theres a whole lot more....I wonder if someone else wrote it for him
Old 02-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
i have a soft side for people who are .....
I thought you were gonna say something else then