Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
How prepared are you for a disaster?

If your area was hit by a major natural disaster or terrorist event, would you be prepared with supplies and skills to make it through comfortably?
Yes.

I am perfectly prepared...although none of us in the city stand much of a chance if Menwith Hill is attacked...we're well within the blast radius...there is no protection for being about a half mile from the epicentre of a thermonuclear detonation.

but...I am prepared for that also. I'll just die
Old 12-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Angry @ Injustice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
I think preparation can be categorized in degrees.

For example, there is preparation for the possible personal catastrophes of life: 1) fire in your house, 2) burglary of your house, 3) mugging, 4) personal health crisis. Preparation for this would include: insurance, smoke alarms, burglar alarm, firearm & firearm safety training, preventative health care, childproofing your home, etc. My preparation is good but not excellent. I need to take better care of myself and take some martial arts training; however, I have the basics covered.

Another category of disaster would be a short term disaster 5) like a lose of power for several days due to a storm. Preparation would include: Flashlights, batteries, back-up heat/cooling source, back-up generator, water and food for 3 days, etc. My preparation is good but not excellent. I don't want to shell out $1,000 for a generator.

6) The next degree of disaster would be a medium-term disaster with paralysis of civilization. I am thinking of something like Hurricane Katrina, 9/11, LA riots. A major event that ties up police and relief agencies for weeks. In this situation, you can't count on the police, rescue, grocery stores, gas stations. Duration is about a week to a month. Preparation would include: firearm or other personal protection, provisions for weeks, gas, medication, first-aid supplies, cash, etc. My preparation is fair. I could make it but it would be uncomfortable.

7) Worst case scenario would be a total break-down of civilization. For example, following a nuclear or biological attack. Preparation would include: long-term independent food source, contacts or skills to replace the needs usually supplied by society, personal protection, etc. My preparation for this scenario is poor. In my own cost/likelihood calculation, I think this scenario is unlikely and would require costly, impractical changes in my life for preparation. I guess if this happens, I will be one of the zombie horde scavenging roadkill or braving Mac's shotgun fire trying to pilfer acorns from his property. Maybe I would show up at the Hughes farm and offer to be a serf in exchange for a couple ears of corn and a piece of gristle to gnaw on.

The older I get, the more I think any of these things could happen. I thought the whole Y2K scare was a joke and didn't do any preparation. Since then, there has been 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, and an economic melt-down. I'm not going to sell everything and move to some compound; however, I will keep preparing for serious events that could disrupt civilization for several weeks.

1) I have a plan for that. I simply pick Lauzon out of his cage, and pick up Jens whole cage with him in it and leave...everything else can burn...I dont have much else...of value anyway. If there was time I would dump my journals and record of achievement into my black bag and take that aswell as my blue boxfile with all my bills and financial stuffs. but thats not essential...i'd only do that if the alarms were going off and I couldnt see the fire itself.

2) its unlikely to happen to me because I'm above ground in a flat, they have two doors and a flight of stairs to get to me. Secondly...only the computer is worth stealing...there is nothing else...I dont have a cd player, my TV is not flat screen, my movie collection is VHS not DVD, and I have a minidisk player...but noone in their right mind would steal that kinda flash in the pan media. I have a good camera but they are unlikely to find that as its hidden

3) the only preparation you can make is prevention. In England you cant walk around with firearms, you cant walk around with tazers, you cant even walk around with mace or pepper spray...you can have a PPA which noone will take any notice of...oh...and if you hurt the mugger, you will end up in as much trouble as him. Avoid travel on foot alone if you are female. Avoid the redlight districts after dark, do not wander off beaten tracks, and avoid any gangs you see. walk with a purpose, walk fast, and do not stop if you are approached

4) I have a mobile phone, but I'm pretty much screwed if I collapse or something at home. if it happens on a friday, I'm not likely to be found until the following Wednessday...even then, good luck in getting into my house and flat. If I didnt turn up on Saturday my work would be angry, but not angry enough to phone me. They would assume that I was ill, or that I was taking the day off since im off sunday and monday. Sunday my Sister might wish to go to church with me, but often I dont show, she'd just go without me. My Parents might wonder where I am for Tea, but they might also think im in Liverpool and they got their dates wrong. They might try phoning, but thats probably all. Monday, nothing happens. Tuesday work is really pissed that I dont ring. Wednessday after three days they would ring, but Mother wouldnt get the message til the evening. I imagine she'd show up at the house that night and be unable to get in. Thursday the landlord would probably come across from out of town and let her in as far as my door...but then they would have to physically break the door down.

I'd be nearly a week as a corpse before anyone even really noticed...niiiiice

5) a loss of power wouldnt cause that much disruption...you could still buy food, except from fresh in supermarkets. Bottled water, tins and stuff.

6) I could ride it out

7) The Store would be the best place to go believe it or not. Its quite dependable. I believe it has a pair of blast doors that would seal one entrance. It has steel barriers that descend over doors and all windows. It wearhous can be sealed from the rest of the building. It has a flat roof so guarding from above would be simple...and it has food to last for a very long time.

When things get really bad, it backs onto the train line. I'd plow a forklift truck through the wall that separates, and begin walking along the train tracks towards The City of Leeds...once in leeds I'm looking to steal a motorbike then its off to the Coast to steal a boat. (obviously a small boat) then its time to follow the coast south all the way round and then right across the atlantic ocean to America. I'll just keep going in a straight line until I hit land. Once I get there, I'm looking to steal another Motorbike, then I'm following the signs all the way to Hillsboro. Once I get there, I'll go door to door until I find Nathan Rosario Then I'll be safe