Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > MMA Related > The Ultimate Fighter

Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Chris F

Can one of you who know the rules real well explain why Jones was disqualified? Seems Mazzagatti just likes to screw people in their fights. Matt was done evern beofre the strikes.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:22 PM
County Mike

The only argument against Mazagatti would be that he should have stopped the fight before the illegal elbows even happened. Even that would be up for discussion though because Hamill was defending fairly well.

However, illegal elbows (straight down, leading with the point of the elbow) are what "finished" the fight. Since Hamill couldn't continue, Jones was disqualified. That is the correct call to make. The shame of it is that Jones was going to win that fight anyway. If he would have kept throwing legal strikes, I'm sure he would have won.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:49 AM

I was really worried for Matt especially when he didn't get up. I cringe when I think of the force of those elbows coming straight down on the bones surrounding the eyes and where the nose comes into the skull base. Scary stuff. People don't realize how thin some of these bones are and just how close your brain is. I hope Matt is going to be okay.

I hated to see Jones lose like that (especially since he was winning even w/o the illegal elbows ), and I hate to see Matt win like that. I wish they could have just called it a NC, but I guess rules are rules.

I agree, I think Mazi maybe should have called it sooner, but tough call with Matt still defending (as best he could ).
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

So they kept announcing that "Titties" was going to be active duty Army in a few days. So did he go out and get fatter on purpose to try and get kicked out? He will be automatically put in the "fat boy program" because there's no way he can pass the BMI tests and probably all of the PT requirements. What was the deal with him?

~Amy
Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
County Mike

Yeah! We were wondering how some of these guys appeared to be in WORSE shape than they were on the show. They knew they would be fighting a couple months ago. Why didn't they get into better shape?

That's why the heavyweight division has so many boring fights. It's the weight class for the lazy people who don't have to stay in shape to make weight.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:54 PM
atomdanger

Kizer actually reported that the Jones/Hamill DQ was the first fight ever to use the "replay".

Maz stopped the fight, took the point and asked for the replay,
then the commission called the fight as a DQ.
Maz did everything textbook.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:57 PM
rearnakedchoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post
Kizer actually reported that the Jones/Hamill DQ was the first fight ever to use the "replay".

except stop the fight earlier than it was .... he was doing nothing but getting smashed ... nothing intelligent about that ...
Old 12-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomdanger View Post

I don't fault Maz for the way he handled this.

~Amy
Old 12-07-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
So they kept announcing that "Titties" was going to be active duty Army in a few days. So did he go out and get fatter on purpose to try and get kicked out? He will be automatically put in the "fat boy program" because there's no way he can pass the BMI tests and probably all of the PT requirements. What was the deal with him?

~Amy
Yeah, what's up (like Mike said) with some of these guys when they know they have a fight coming up. You'd think they'd be really getting in shape and condition. Schoonover really disappointed me in his fight. I thought he'd give McSweeney more competition.