Go Back   Matt-Hughes.com Official Forums > General Discussions > The Woodshed

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 AM
mscomc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play The Man View Post
mscom, Malcolm, did you say somewhere that you study membranes? Are you familiar with Alister McGrath? He is an Oxford Professor of Theology. Prior to studying theology, he did biochemistry research. His area was "developing innovative physical methods for studying the behavior of biological membranes, including the use of fluorescent probes and positron decay to investigate temperature-dependent transitions in biological systems and their models." (I hope you know what that means, I don't). Anyway, he gave up his atheism during his research time and got his PhD in theology and became an Anglican priest and a professor. He is a very prolific writer. He has a three volume work developing a scientific theology (Theory, Reality, Nature). Recently, he is best known for taking on Dawkins about atheism. He must have dozens of books in print. You should check him out.
yeah I do know those techniques. My area of research is kind of linked to membranes. Dr, McGrath was more into membrane strucutre and things of that nature. Im more into memrane receptor. Ie: Insulin attaches to insulin receptor, the receptor triggers a cascade response in cell, cell take up glucose yadda yadda yadaa. Im not very familiar with McGrath actually. I didnt know he was also a preist. He kinda sounds like the preist from the first exorcist who was an M.D and a preist...lol.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Play The Man's Avatar
Play The Man Play The Man is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscomc View Post
yeah I do know those techniques. My area of research is kind of linked to membranes. Dr, McGrath was more into membrane strucutre and things of that nature. Im more into memrane receptor. Ie: Insulin attaches to insulin receptor, the receptor triggers a cascade response in cell, cell take up glucose yadda yadda yadaa. Im not very familiar with McGrath actually. I didnt know he was also a preist. He kinda sounds like the preist from the first exorcist who was an M.D and a preist...lol.
I don't think he has a congregation. I think he just lectures and writes on theology and science.
__________________
"Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man! We shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out."
--Hugh Latimer, October 16, 1555
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-07-2009, 02:11 PM
shon8121
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateR View Post
Evolution as the method that life uses to adapt to its environment? Yes.

Evolution as a theory that all life on Earth is derived from one common ancestor? No.

Micro-Evolution can be observed. However, Macro-Evolution has never been observed, it can only be implied. Thus it is not a fact.
Hi NateR! Your reputation precedes you, so I'm excited that you've joined the discussion.

But I'm afraid you must have skipped over some of my other posts... I already addressed your concerns.

The Theory of Evolution actually does state that all life has a Common Ancestor or group of Ancestors (usually depicted as a Single-Celled Organism).

If you accept Micro-Evolution, then by definition you must accept "Macro" because it's just many instances of "Micro". We've observed Speciation in Nature. Google "Ring Species" for more information... unless you desire that I explain it to you... if thats the case I would love to do so.

And when it comes to Fossils evidence... its like coming across a Crime Scene. We have a gun on a table, missing a bullet... we have a bullet in a man lying dead on the floor and blood on the wall behind him. We can take the fingerprints off of the gun and find out who they belong too, and we can ask the neighbors if there has been any activity or arguments that the victim has been in lately. What if we find out that his wife and he had fights all the time? What if we find out that only her fingerprints are on the gun? What if we then catch her trying to flee the country?
What would you conclude has happened? Murder? Yeah, all we need now is a confession out of her, but even thats not really necessary because the evidence is pretty damning.

So... when it comes to the Fossil Record, it's often similar to this. We have a Dead body, we have the Sedimentary Rock Layers it's in, so we know a lot more about it than you would readily assume.

And we certainly have our DNA evidences.
Endogenous Retroviruses
Transposons
Functionally Redundant Pseudogenes
Functionally Redundant Proteins
Functionally Redundant DNA

Each of these things separately STRONGLY suggest Common Ancestry... but together they prove it.

If you're not willing to "google" these terms as well... I guess I can go into further detail to help people understand what they are and what they mean.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:46 PM
que
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

did we come from monkeys? i don't know

but we sure do act like em, sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:48 PM
TexasRN's Avatar
TexasRN TexasRN is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texan living in NC
Posts: 4,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
did we come from monkeys? i don't know

but we sure do act like em, sometimes.
Leave Forrest out of this.




~Amy
__________________
__________________________________________

My son made this for me:
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:54 PM
shon8121
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by que View Post
did we come from monkeys? i don't know

but we sure do act like em, sometimes.
Haha. Well, to be accurate, we most recently descended from Ape-like Creatures. But those Ape-like Creatures descended from Monkey-like Creatures.

What a lot of people misunderstand (I'm not accusing you of this) is that Evolution is not Linear. I often hear "If we came from Monkeys, why don't we ever hear about Monkeys giving birth to humans?"
That assumes there is this specific order to Evolution and thats not how it works at all.
At best we are related to the other Great Apes... we're like Cousins having descended from the same Ancestor some 4-ish million years ago... but we didn't descend from a modern Ape or Monkey. Haha.

Speaking of acting like Monkeys... Check this funny clip out! These Monkeys are stealing people's Alcohol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm7BcQHWXk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon8121 View Post
Haha. Well, to be accurate, we most recently descended from Ape-like Creatures. But those Ape-like Creatures descended from Monkey-like Creatures.

What a lot of people misunderstand (I'm not accusing you of this) is that Evolution is not Linear. I often hear "If we came from Monkeys, why don't we ever hear about Monkeys giving birth to humans?"
That assumes there is this specific order to Evolution and thats not how it works at all.
At best we are related to the other Great Apes... we're like Cousins having descended from the same Ancestor some 4-ish million years ago... but we didn't descend from a modern Ape or Monkey. Haha.

Speaking of acting like Monkeys... Check this funny clip out! These Monkeys are stealing people's Alcohol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm7BcQHWXk
Rubbish.....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:15 PM
shon8121
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Rubbish.....
???
I'm confused. What is rubbish? I thought the whole Monkeys stealing Alcohol was quite amusing.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Chuck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon8121 View Post
???
I'm confused. What is rubbish? I thought the whole Monkeys stealing Alcohol was quite amusing.
All of your post except that part
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:54 PM
shon8121
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
All of your post except that part
Why is it "rubbish"?

I'm only presenting the Scientific Facts. I'm sure if I listed all of the components in your Computer, you wouldn't reasonably be able to call that rubish because all of those components are the results of the same Scientific Method that derived our knowledge about Evolution.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.